Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #46
Francium
Frequent Poster

He appeared to have suffered from a dissociative personality disorder or schizotypal personality disorder (magical thinking). Look up "dissociative disorder" on Wikipedia.

I don't buy in the drug angle, though I can see why one would think of that as a likely scenario. Drug trips don't last that long. DMT, for example, lasts around 15 minutes. He was clearly in the desert for some time. Meth is one of the most powerful things, and a bad high on meth can last up to 16 hours. No hallucinogen lasts that long, and he was clearly in the desert for more than 16 hours.

The relevant information in this case is missing. "New Age" seems to be thrown out there arbitrarily and without meaning. I'm sure the New Age movement has a lot of variance. So, what books did David Stone read in the time leading up to this journey? Who were Stone's friends? Did he leave behind anything linking him with an actual organization or set of people involved with the New Age movement? If not, then he clearly suffered from a mental illness and needed help that no one noticed or cared to give him.
Francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #47
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I tend to think David Stone was a high strung, "yuppie" (for lack of a better term) guy who got swept up in this "New Age" movement to better himself and his anger issues. I think when he went to the desert, the lack of food and water (and the exposure to the cold climate) was something he wasn't prepared for, which could account for his odd behavior and ultimately his death. I don't think he ever made it out of the desert, I just think the dogs missed his scent for some reason. I also doubt his death was from anything other than exposure.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #48
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
"they think the WORD is in the safe. six knives in Rob's room. you's buys you's tea's and you's takes you's chances. Halloween."

I recalled all of that from memory. Uh-oh. I think I watch too much UM.
Has anyone tried to decode this? I think it's fascinating that he wrote it.

They think the WORD is in the safe. (I take this to mean, they are looking for their spiritual guidance, The Word meaning God's law in the safe, in the bank.

Six knives in Rob's Room. (I'm not sure what Rob's room is, maybe he knew someone named Rob.) In the tarot, the six of knives, swords, is a card about making a journey away from something that is painful or difficult, but necessary in order to have further growth. Sometimes you have to leave something behind that you care about, but you have to move on to survive. This card could represent a vision quest, or perhaps his desire never to go back to his old life. The knives are also a reference to his violence which he went to the desert to confront, and a life where you are always on the attack, like the guy he beat up at the party.

You takes your tea and yous take your chances...this is a play on "you pay your money and you take your chances".. this could be him again, mocking the monied world that he came from as a stock analyst and the wealth of his family. Tea is also another world for marijuana. I think in this case, he might have taken something, smoked peyote or done mushrooms in order to enhance his vision, something in the Native American tradition I understand, but not, I think, unsupervised and alone. I think hallucinogenics may have been what contributed to his psychotic break and the fact that he was totally unprepared to be out in the elements. I think he was high as a kite, and I think he also knew there was risk involved, but he was willing to do it for his spiritual transformation. There is also a connection between the root words Hallucinogenics and Halloween. I think he was looking for illumination.

Halloween marks the day he disappeared but it also has significance - in medieval times, Halloween was considered the time where the spirit and physical world were at their closest proximity to each other, resulting in the potential for magical things to happen. The fact that he chose this time, or it chose him is significant as well.

I think this is poem is an incantation - David's way of saying that he renounces his old life and opens himself to spirit guidance.

Last edited by economistman192; 05-31-2012 at 02:31 AM.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #49
FarinaforBrkfast
Stack of Pancakes, Both Good!
Frequent Poster

economistman - that was an excellent post!!
FarinaforBrkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #50
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarinaforBrkfast
economistman - that was an excellent post!!

Thanks so much, Farina. I appreciate your taking the time!
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #51
Thanos6
Occasional Poster

Quote:
You takes your tea and yous take your chances
I've also heard the phrase as "you takes your ticket and you takes your chance," referring to a raffle or similar luck-based contest. It might be a corruption of that, which Mr. Stone misarticulated in his mental state.
Thanos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #52
zack007attack
Forum Regular

I don't think David Stone made it out of the desert. The search dogs might have been thrown off course by something else they picked up out in that vast area of desert and highway.

This case has so many similarities to Don Kemp. They both probably suffered from some psychological trauma and it caused erratic behavior which might have caused them to hallucinate to the point of trying to escape or find something that wasn't there.

I think the trail he left, including the rock pyramids and sand numbers were a way of marking his trail and/or signaling to any search parties that might come looking for him. He realized he was in danger somehow and might have seen a small aircraft passing over him, indicating they knew he was missing, and he did his best to help the search parties but they were too late to save him.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #53
Necco

I looked this up to mention that the 6 knives could be the 6 of swords in a tarot deck, which when upright represent a rite of passage, but I see I was beat to it.

It can also represent an unfortunate but necessary transition. Inverted it can represent an inability to move on.

I think the incorrect Fibonacci sequence may have been read into too much. While the last number should have been 21 (8+13) I think it is possible that in his possibly delirious state, he made a mistake and added 5 + 13.

Fibonacci sequences are also found in nature. Fractals use them. Spirals use them.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #54
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francium
He appeared to have suffered from a dissociative personality disorder or schizotypal personality disorder (magical thinking). Look up "dissociative disorder" on Wikipedia.
I strongly disagree. Besides DID being extremely, extremely rare, there's nothing to really indicate David had a personality disorder. Potentially a mood disorder, if anything, given his reported aggressive outbursts. But not a personality disorder, especially not DID--and probably not SPD. Those who suffer from that disorder don't host parties at their homes, or play for four years on their college football team. Magical thinking is a symptom, not a disorder, and there's really nothing to suggest David had it.

Quote:
I don't buy in the drug angle, though I can see why one would think of that as a likely scenario. Drug trips don't last that long. DMT, for example, lasts around 15 minutes. He was clearly in the desert for some time. Meth is one of the most powerful things, and a bad high on meth can last up to 16 hours. No hallucinogen lasts that long, and he was clearly in the desert for more than 16 hours.
I actually find the "drug angle" more likely.

This is an individual exhibiting extremely uncharacteristic behavior, and involved in a movement that borrows heavily from the spiritual traditions of many American Indian tribes. The so-called "vision quest" is a good example of this. Some southwestern tribes--namely the Navajo--have a history of using peyote--mescaline--in shamanistic rituals. The Native American Church also utilizes peyote in some of its ceremonies. Mescaline is a hallucinogen, and to the contrary, its effects can last for over ten hours.

I'm not saying it's what happened at all. But I could envision it.

Quote:
If not, then he clearly suffered from a mental illness and needed help that no one noticed or cared to give him.
You've jumped to a pretty rapid conclusion, not only about what happened, but about those close to David.

Sometimes even extreme heat and dehydration make people behave very strangely. It could be as simple as that. It could be the ingestion of some substance, whether from David trying to eat or drink something in the desert he didn't know would alter his consciousness, or if he could identify those things and intentionally consumed them.

I just have a hard time buying that he had a personality disorder. He could have had an aggression or anger control issue, perhaps. But clinically, that is not a personality disorder, nor do I think it's related in any way to bellowing non-sensical phrases all over the desert or making pyramids out of pebbles.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #55
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I also don't believe that David had a mental illness. You would expect to see signs of it from earlier in his life. As Meg said, he was very successful and high functioning. Mental illness (especially ones that cause hallucinations and/or delusions) don't often come on suddenly. It's much more likely that he experienced his thought decline due to experimenting with mind-enhancing drugs and/or from heat exhaustion as he wandered the desert on his spiritual quest. You ever had sun poisoning? I have. You become totally delirious and off the wall.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #56
Necco

I, too, think he got sun loopy. It doesn't take much. Or long. Not where he was. Especially if he wasn't particularly well hydrated when he left the car.

This case is strewn with New Age symbols.
-He set out on Samhain. (the day which some pagans believe the veil between the living and the dead lifts)
-Fibonacci's sequence* is important to some New Agers (http://www.goddiscussion.com/61378/h...olving-nature/)
-The six of swords as we referenced earlier
-The pyramids*

*these things involve the Golden Ratio which happens if the ratio of the sum of 2 (a and b where a is the smaller number) numbers to the larger number is the same as the ration of the larger number to the smaller number.
(a+b)/b=b/a. Fibonacci's sequence approximates the golden ratio in whole numbers. Pyramids are built to the Golden Ratio

I wonder if the WORD is safe could have been miswritten and supposed to tbe the WORLD is safe.

(Ok, that's enough math for 1:30 on a friday night)
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #57
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
I, too, think he got sun loopy. It doesn't take much. Or long. Not where he was. Especially if he wasn't particularly well hydrated when he left the car.
This is an excellent point which could account for his odd behavior, his weird writings, and his botched writing out of the Fibonacci sequence. I don't think he was on drugs or had a mental problem (outside of an anger issue), I just think the heat was getting to him.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #58
justins5256

Just bumping this because it was on my mind recently...

What was your take on Tony Ballesteros (sp?)?

Out of all the people interviewed on UM who could have been considered a suspect or person of interest in a crime/disappearance, it was my impression that he was completely innocent, and had no connection to David Stone. I actually kind of felt bad for how he got dragged in to the case.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #59
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Just bumping this because it was on my mind recently...

What was your take on Tony Ballesteros (sp?)?

Out of all the people interviewed on UM who could have been considered a suspect or person of interest in a crime/disappearance, it was my impression that he was completely innocent, and had no connection to David Stone. I actually kind of felt bad for how he got dragged in to the case.
I don't think there is any actual connection between Tony and David. Plus, there is absolutely no evidence David was the victim of foul play. There was mentioned the possibility that David simply stumbled across his business card after either Tony or someone else who had a copy of his card dropped it in the desert near a campsite. Or maybe David found it while on his way to where he eventually parked his car on Highway 80; like a small town with businesses like a gas station or something.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #60
wiseguy182

I feel that the business card of Tony Ballesteros is a red herring, just like virtually everything in this segment is a red herring. The Fibonacci code, the pyramids, the watch, the strange message are all the work of somebody who was exhibiting mental issues shortly before their disappearance. All of the "clues", quite frankly, don't add up to a hill of beans in my book. I have any number of business cards in my wallet at any time (doctors, etc) -- it doesn't mean any of them would be responsible if I disappeared. I don't think David was the victim of foul play as there is no discernible motive, he disappeared in a deserted area and nobody that knew him knew he was out there. I think he died of either heatstroke, thirst, starvation or an attack by some animal.

With that being said, here are some random observations I had from re-watching this segment yesterday.

-The witness that claimed to have stumbled upon David and offered him a ride. I think if I encountered someone carrying a large stick and speaking nonsensical things, I would probably get the hell out of there.

-I am curious that the business card just says "Tony Ballesteros" in the center, and his job title or what have you isn't immediately noticeable. Why would someone need to contact him then?

-Regarding the note ("They think the WORD is in the safe. Six knives in Rob's room. You's buys your teas and you's take you's chances. Halloween.") I noticed that "WORD" is in all capital letters. I wonder if that is an acronym. Again, I don't think it really amounts to anything, just a curious observation.

-When Stack says that David Stone went on a "vision quest", I thought of the movie Vision Quest. I rented it many years ago and the only thing I remember about it was the underwear sniffing scene.

That is all.