Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soap links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Soap Photo Gallery

Soap - The Complete First Season

Buy Soap - The Complete First Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Second Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Third Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series

Buy Soap - The Complete Series on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Soap

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Billy Crystal: The real reason you don't hear from him anymore

http://www.nickiswift.com/114831/bil...-hear-anymore/

Quote:
Billy Crystal has been making us laugh for over four decades. From*City Slickers*to*When Harry Met Sally, from*The Princess Bride*to*Analyze This, and from*Monsters, Inc.*to becoming the ultimate Oscars host, this beloved actor's quick wit and soft-edged humor has had something to offer basically everyone. Over the span of his impressive career ruling Hollywood's comedy scene, this multi-hyphenate has boasted a number of accolades, including*five Emmy Awards,*a Tony Award, and*the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

And while the comedy giant is still selling out theaters, we have to admit he's*been pretty quiet lately. Off-camera, Crystal has kept busy with a full family life, a return to the stage, and book writing. But when he has made the news, it's often been for all the wrong reasons. There's a lot about this funnyman's career that even his most devoted fans may have missed.

So, what's the real reason we don't hear from Billy Crystal anymore? We've got your answers.

Read More: http://www.nickiswift.com/114831/bil..._campaign=clip
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
king of comedy

After he appeared in blackface, I may never see him the same again.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I read a post on Quora that Billy Crystal's drop from Hollywood's A-list was in retaliation for what happened between him and the late Bruno Kirby. Let me explain, Billy Crystal had co-starred with Bruno Kirby in What Harry Met Sally and City Slickers. For reasons not entirely clear, during or shortly after the making of City Slickers, Kirby and Crystal had a falling out. And not only would Crystal no longer work with Kirby, but neither would any of the many producers and directors associated with Crystal. This kind of explains why Bruno Kirby didn't appear in City Slickers II (Jon Lovitz took his spot).

Apparently, Billy Crystal is one of those people who wants actors to make him look good (because he's not really that a great actor himself). But if you outshine him he will edit you to his favor professionally cut you off at the knees.

While while Kirby continued to work, he was cast in fewer movies and the ones he was cast in were, well… take a look for yourself: Golden Gate (1994), Heavenzapoppin’! (1996), A Slipping-Down Life (1999), History Is Made at Night (1999), One Eyed King (2001). In other words, they weren't exactly high-profile, mainstream, big budgeted productions.

Even though Crystal was successful in having Kirby blacklisted in Hollywood, Bruno Kirby was a considered to be a genuinely nice guy and was well-liked by a lot of people in “the industry”. So after Kirby was diagnosed with leukemia and subsequently passed away, a lot of people were very, very angry about Crystal’s treatment of Kirby. All in all, this is pretty much why Billy Crystal was on top one minute and then seemingly forgotten about the next minute.

Last edited by TMC; 08-26-2019 at 01:40 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Duster76
Forum Regular

I'm not debating that there were issues between Crystal and Kirby it seems that at the very least there may have been some hard feelings, but I'm not convinced that Crystal had the power to blackball Kirby, and I'm not convinced the rift had any effect on Crystal's career. Billy turned 50 in 1998, actors complain all the time about not getting cast as much once they are over 50 (actresses put the age at 40). Billy did seem to hit a dry patch from 2007-2009 but by that point he was almost 60. He still does projects, hosted the Oscars in 2012, had a TV series in 2015 (The Comedians), did some movies, I don't know what was expected.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote