Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #16
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Nothing really new in the 48 Hours piece. As far as JV is concerned, the police had to have probable cause to even get the search warrant so there must be some evidence there. IIRC, her toilet seat was found up which would be very weird for a single female. It could mean a man was there that morning.

No matter who did it, I really hope they get some new traction on this.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
WishfulDreamer

I really think this was an obsessed stalker who knew her routine and waited for her to leave her apartment. I think she had a habit of holding her belongings while rushing to her car to make it in time for her morning show, leaving her vulnerable to an attack. The morning of her abduction, she was already late and would have undoubtedly been in a huge hurry and focused on making it to work.

I really think if JV had done this, there would have been some shred of evidence, such as in the vehicle he would have had to have driven to make the abductions possible, for example. If he had borrowed or rented a vehicle, that information likely would have been discovered. He was cased pretty carefully by LE...I just don't see him getting away scot-free with no evidence left behind.

To me, this abduction seems planned well in advance. She was one of the town's most popular residents. I think this person was pretty brazen and plotted it all out before finally making his move, as he had to have known what a huge stir this would cause in the community. Unfortunately, that person has done a really good job of covering his tracks so far.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
Nothing really new in the 48 Hours piece. As far as JV is concerned, the police had to have probable cause to even get the search warrant so there must be some evidence there. IIRC, her toilet seat was found up which would be very weird for a single female. It could mean a man was there that morning.

No matter who did it, I really hope they get some new traction on this.
Well, one of the problems is that when the police call someone a 'person of interest' it automatically infers a degree of suspicion of guilt. Think to the Olympic bombings in '96. Poor old Richard Jewell who did everything right was vilified for quite some time and got the only (that I know of) official apology from the FBI.

I tend to think of this guy "JV" as a red herring. Police are focusing on him.. Which.. I'm fine with.. To a point. Do we really think this guy is smart enough to have disposed of her body to the point that she has not been found for 23 years? Most people aren't.. So, while he certainly may be worth a look.. Not sure how much focus he should get, or at least for how long without finding hard evidence. Sounds like all they have now is circumstantial.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #19
BuffaloBill
Forum Regular

OMG - this Jackson character stands out like a sore thumb. Proximity,
the guy was going to school for television, of course he would watch local news as a broadcast student. History of being violent towards women, habitual
rapist and felon. Enough said.

This John Vansice is a little strange, but please all speculation on this guy.
Give me a break. I could see why they can't charge him, based on the broadcast all they got is rhetoric !
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #20
MegtheEgg86

What immediately makes me think Vansice isn't the responsible party is that he had so many opportunities to murder Jodi and dispose of her body without lying in wait for her outside her apartment at 4 in the morning, as the two were in one another's company on numerous occasions, visiting at one another's homes and the like. And why would he bother to stage an abduction scene?

He's weird and creepy as hell, but I just don't think he's the guy. I think Jodi's abductor might not even have been a crazed fan or stalker planning this abduction for a long period of time, considering she was running late. I think it's more likely that such a person would have been wary of the deviation in Jodi's routine that day, and he would've gotten nervous and left.

I've always thought Tony Jackson was a weak suspect. The links are speculative and tenuous.

I think she may have very well been abducted by an opportunist who would've grabbed the first young woman he encountered at that time and place.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
He's weird and creepy as hell, but I just don't think he's the guy. I think Jodi's abductor might not even have been a crazed fan or stalker planning this abduction for a long period of time, considering she was running late. I think it's more likely that such a person would have been wary of the deviation in Jodi's routine that day, and he would've gotten nervous and left.

I think she may have very well been abducted by an opportunist who would've grabbed the first young woman he encountered at that time and place.
Was she running late? Ok.. Yeah.. Forgot that the producer had called and she answered. I thought the producer had called and gotten no answer and had just assumed she overslept.

I think you're right about the opportunist. If someone planned it.. Would they sit out there waiting for her to come out well after the time she should have? I'd think that would creep the person out and they'd pull the rip cord on the idea.. At least for that day.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
What immediately makes me think Vansice isn't the responsible party is that he had so many opportunities to murder Jodi and dispose of her body without lying in wait for her outside her apartment at 4 in the morning, as the two were in one another's company on numerous occasions, visiting at one another's homes and the like. And why would he bother to stage an abduction scene?
Good points, Meg. My argument for why JV would have done it that night is because I think his situation may have come to a head that night.

He had just spent a lot of money throwing the birthday party for Jodi. Some witnesses said he was trying to make his move the night of the party and hook up with Jodi physically, but it didn't happen. So now he gets together with her to watch the video. I can see him making another play for her that night. Maybe she blew him off once and for all and he got pissed. There were reports that someone knocked (pounded?) on Jodi's door that night but she didn't answer. Maybe JV came back for a visit. I can see him being really pissed and stewing about it all night and waiting to confront her in the parking lot. I don't even think his goal was to kill her. He may have been frustrated/mad and hit her out of rage, and then said "Uh-oh..."

I'm not saying JV did it, but man... he was OBSESSED with Jodi and his actions after she went missing were bizarre at best. I will admit that this could be another story like Tim Bidner, where someone who is way too interested in the case and is weird AF ends up not being the perp.

You might be right about the opportunist part. Pretty lady runs out to car and a creeper just happens to be there. He walks over to ask her a question, gets close, and then she screams as she is assaulted. In many ways, that makes the most sense.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:35 AM   #23
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:

Well, grabbing her at 4am has ultimately proven to be successful in avoiding capture. Would it have worked out the same though if she'd vanished during one of the times she was known to be in his company or within a few hours of such?

I'm not saying for sure he did it though. But I think to have gotten away with it for so long and for there to not even be a body it couldn't have been a random opportunistic grab in a wrong-place-wrong-time scenario.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
But I think to have gotten away with it for so long and for there to not even be a body it couldn't have been a random opportunistic grab in a wrong-place-wrong-time scenario.
Angela Hammond.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #25
GDAWG
Frequent Poster

Was anyone interviewed on 48 Hours interviewed for Unsolved Mysteries? I don't remember.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
Was anyone interviewed on 48 Hours interviewed for Unsolved Mysteries? I don't remember.
I seem to recall the producer at the station being interviewed.. Whether that was on UM or not, can't recall.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I seem to recall the producer at the station being interviewed.. Whether that was on UM or not, can't recall.
The one who called Jodi to wake her up was interviewed on UM, and not interviewed in 48 hrs, but a clip of her doing an interview back in 95 is shown.

Jodi's older sister is interviewed (as she was for the Disappeared and UM segments).
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #28
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

If he didn't do it why not simply speak to the 48 Hours reporter? Shutting the door in their face makes him come off at guilty
Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #29
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlerSparkler View Post
If he didn't do it why not simply speak to the 48 Hours reporter? Shutting the door in their face makes him come off at guilty
I think that was by design, and it's totally bush-league journalism. I'm not going to defend JV as a suspect, but how they did this was pathetic. Showing up outside his house at night with a camera and a bright light and saying "Hi, I'm from CBS News..." is really poor. I'm sure they tried to get an interview and he declined (or ignored them), but this way they get the sensational video clip to end their show.

So why wouldn't he speak to them? Most importantly, there are active warrants out for his vehicles, so I'm sure his lawyer told him not to say a thing to any reporters. He's also been dealing with this for over 20 years (and he's now 72) so I'm sure he's tired of having to answer the same questions from the media. In a sense, he has nothing to gain but a lot to lose if he says the wrong thing.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #30
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlerSparkler View Post
Once you are named a "Person of Interest".. there's little you can say that will work in your favor.

I don't blame him for keeping his mouth shut whether he's guilty or innocent. It's pretty obvious the police think he's guilty. Whether he is or not is another story. But, they don't have enough to arrest him now.. so, don't say something that they can twist into a reason.