Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Angry I'm MAD at the artists I grew up listening to!

Boy...that 'rap' thread sure got me going!

Now I've got a bone to pick with all the 'Classic Rock' artists I grew up with!

The Who
The Beatles
Hendrix
Bob Seger
The Doors
and there's LOTS more!!!

What do they ALL have in common? Be it the original songs, or a version 'covered' by someone else...they've all SOLD THEIR SONGS TO COMMERCIALS!

Seems like every time a commercial break graces my TV, I hear a classic tune selling something!

Things SURE have changed since the 60's and 70's...when 'artistic integrity' actually meant something!

The only one I have ANY respect for is John Mellencamp...who SWEARS he will never sell his songs for commercial purposes!

But Hendrix! Probably spinning in his grave!

C'mon boomers...waddya think?

pontoon
Old 07-23-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

um....what was the point of that
Old 07-23-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Default << um....what was the point of that >>

It's called a 'thread'!

I'm soliciting opinions from baby boomers on the subject of selling music for commercials! Isn't that what this site is for? It certainly has more content than SOME of the posts I've seen around here...like "Here's a picture of my room"! Pah-lease! I thought that thread was a bit silly...but you didn't see me going in there and making comments like yours!

If you have no opinions on the subject...then why bother answering this 'thread'?

Isn't this the 'chit chat' section? Or because I'm not a 'giddy school-girl', I can't solicit opinions on things?

<< I'm MAD at the artists I grew up listening to! >>

NOW I'm mad at you too!

pontoon

Last edited by pontoon; 07-23-2002 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
vienna waits
Forum Celebrity

Default Re: << um....what was the point of that >>

Quote:
Originally posted by pontoon
It certainly has more content than SOME of the posts I've seen around here...like "Here's a picture of my room"! Pah-lease! I thought that thread was a bit silly...but you didn't see me going in there and making comments like yours!
I happen to like that post.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Ewan's My Man
I'll Cover You

Send a message via AIM to Ewan's My Man
Default Re: Re: << um....what was the point of that >>

Quote:
Originally posted by tootieismyfav

I happen to like that post.
If you were more-
Like me!

All you have to do is jump over the moon
Moo with me!

Old 07-23-2002, 03:08 PM   #6
Jinny Girl
Banned
Banned!!

Location: ...I'm not sure (looks around) WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!!?!??!?
Send a message via AIM to Jinny Girl

Well this point was really kinda pointless. They get paid for doing commercials. Thats all they really care about probably. Besides, is being on a commercial really that degrading?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:13 PM   #7
Plata

Quote:
Boy...that 'rap' thread sure got me going!

Now I've got a bone to pick with all the 'Classic Rock' artists I grew up with!

The Who
The Beatles
Hendrix
Bob Seger
The Doors
and there's LOTS more!!!

What do they ALL have in common? Be it the original songs, or a version 'covered' by someone else...they've all SOLD THEIR SONGS TO COMMERCIALS!

Seems like every time a commercial break graces my TV, I hear a classic tune selling something!

Things SURE have changed since the 60's and 70's...when 'artistic integrity' actually meant something!

The only one I have ANY respect for is John Mellencamp...who SWEARS he will never sell his songs for commercial purposes!

But Hendrix! Probably spinning in his grave!

C'mon boomers...waddya think?

pontoon

Well, it would have been the artists' choice to sell their songs to be used for commercials and to probably allow other artists to sing their songs. One song by Smash Mouth "Believer" is a good remake of the song by the Monkees. Although, I think the song "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones is better than the "Satisfaction" song done by Britney Spears. I don't mind the "Satisfaction" song sung by Justine Bateman for the Satisfaction film, though. Another song that was resung was "I Wanna Love You Forever" that was originally sung by Celine Dion and resung by Jessica Simpson. I think Celine did a better job singing that song than Jessica did.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #8
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Default That's NOT the point!

And I guess a lot of you 'yougsters' wouldn't understand about 'art' and using that 'art' to make as MUCH money off it as you can!

By selling songs to commercials (IMO) cheapens the art of songwriting to the point of mediocrity!

Integrity meant something years ago. But I guess if you can write a hit song, and 2 weeks later it's selling hot dogs...you could care less!

But the point of my anger is the fact that this thread was treated like a moronic statement from someone who doesnt have a million posts, that can't voice an opinion on your 'precious' board!

And my opinion of that 'other thread' only surfaced to make a 'point'! I did't mean to offend anyone by THAT statement...opinions are like, well you know!

pontoon
Old 07-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #9
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Default Re: << um....what was the point of that >>

Quote:
It's called a 'thread'!

I'm soliciting opinions from baby boomers on the subject of selling music for commercials! Isn't that what this site is for? It certainly has more content than SOME of the posts I've seen around here...like "Here's a picture of my room"! Pah-lease! I thought that thread was a bit silly...but you didn't see me going in there and making comments like yours!

If you have no opinions on the subject...then why bother answering this 'thread'?

Isn't this the 'chit chat' section? Or because I'm not a 'giddy school-girl', I can't solicit opinions on things?

<< I'm MAD at the artists I grew up listening to! >>

NOW I'm mad at you too!

pontoon
Holy flip, i asked a question. You dont hafta blow up.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:41 PM   #10
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Default NO!!!!!

You did not JUST ask me a question!

You questioned the point of my thread!

Now I'VE seen threads that I really didn't get the point of...but you don't see ME answering with that kinda attitude!

No opinions on the subject? Then ya coulda just moved on...instead of that remark!

pontoon
Old 07-23-2002, 03:46 PM   #11
Jinny Girl
Banned
Banned!!

Well since your so much older and know everything, you must know that MOST NOT ALL people out there are looking to make money. I mean how many times have you heard "I wanna be rich and famouse!" MAYBE they are HONEST people WHO really DO care about the ARTISTIC side of WRITING their own music, but how do YOU know!? HAVE YOU EVER ****ING MET THEM!? Have you ever asked them why they did it??? No, so why worry about it. If the musics good, listen.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Default Re: NO!!!!!

Quote:
You did not JUST ask me a question!

You questioned the point of my thread!

Now I'VE seen threads that I really didn't get the point of...but you don't see ME answering with that kinda attitude!

No opinions on the subject? Then ya coulda just moved on...instead of that remark!

pontoon
ok.....i asked what the point of the message was its not like i insulted ne1!!!!!!

Last edited by Hollow; 07-23-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:27 PM   #13
Jinny Girl
Banned
Banned!!

dude poontoghnrejghbre whatever are you on any medication? If not, you should be.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:28 PM   #14
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Default OK...

...I'll just start answering threads with "um....what was the point of that", and see how many friends I make!

<< Well since your so much older and know everything, you must know that MOST NOT ALL people out there are looking to make money. I mean how many times have you heard "I wanna be rich and famouse!" MAYBE they are HONEST people WHO really DO care about the ARTISTIC side of WRITING their own music, but how do YOU know!? HAVE YOU EVER ****ING MET THEM!? Have you ever asked them why they did it??? No, so why worry about it. If the musics good, listen. >>

Yeah...I HAVE ****ing met some of them! And if you're shallow enough to make a great song, only to let some corporation have it to sell things, I feel sorry for you!! That's NOT art...it's called 'selling out' to make a buck! You might as well be writing jingles for Burger King! Now THAT'S art!

pontoon

Last edited by pontoon; 07-23-2002 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:31 PM   #15
pontoon
~~VOTE GOAT!~~
Frequent Poster

Default <<are you on any medication? If not, you should be.>>

Oh THAT'S nice! Are you trying to bait me into a flame war?

pontoon
Closed Thread