Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #46
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

I love all the feedback this topic is getting. Thanks for all of your opinions. I am curious to hear more.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #47
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

I've always felt she is guilty. The silly string? I'm not sure that swayed my opinion at all. Very weird, that's for sure and the last way I would want to be acting is all happy and such. Yes, people grieve differently, but I am sure you wouldn't want anyone to see you grieve that way for fear of what people might think. Surely even if Darlie was innocent she should have been aware that the police were bearing down on here at the time and she should watch what she's doing.

But that's all circumstantial. How about the actual case in itself. Why in the world does the intruder kill two young boys and then injure Darlie only to run away from her and drop the knife? Why did she never get a good look at him? Why did she not wake up when her boys were being sliced by the guy? I know I am a heavy sleeper but I would think that something would cause me to wake up feeling something is amiss. An unusual noise?

Darin I do not believe is guilty. I'm not so sure if him divorcing Darlie says anything. They've been apart for 15 years, that's tough on a marriage even if you think she's innocent. But I have never left out the chance that he knows something that he has never shared with anyone else, not even Darlie. You would think that the man who knew her the best would have picked up on something right? A conversation they had days earlier, or a noise he heard, or whether or not it was unusual for her and the boys to fall asleep in front of the television so late at night. They had a baby, maybe the baby slept through everything but was it unusual for their baby to sleep through the night at that time? Darin would know this the best so I get the feeling that there are things he at least might suspect either way that he has never shared. Just my opinion.

Everything points to Darlie. Even Jeffrey MacDonald has a more convincing case in his favour. He has a confession from someone, a patient who called his house and heard laughter in the background from multiple people and he was a guy that the hippies would have certainly targeted. What about Darlie? Why would someone break into their home, steal NOTHING, come unarmed with the chance that they find a knife just to kill two boys and injure the only person who could identify him? It makes no sense. A person who would do this would have to be familiar with their home. It would have to be someone Darlie knew. Yet she couldn't identify him. Strange.

I think she is where she belongs. Larry Gibson's case sounds more convincing
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #48
justins5256

I think Darlie is guilty. Although I'm not as well read on this case as some others on this forum seem to be, there are just too many holes in the logic if we accept an intruder committed these crimes. Among the most obvious questions - why would this person, whose intent was apparently to rob/rape/maim/kill/whatever, not bring some kind of weapon of his own? Also, why attack the two weakest threats - the children and not neutralize the greatest threats - Darlie and Darin?

I think a lot of people want to believe she is innocent because these crimes are so abominable and it is difficult to comprehend a mother doing this to her children. However, there have been women, such as Andrea Yates, who have murdered their children. I also think it's easy to ask questions like "what was the motive?" and since the motives suggested by the police/prosecutors do seem weak, it's easy to then suspect an outsider. However, what motive is strong enough to justify these brutal crimes? I think only Darlie herself can answer.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #49
Mystery Man
Frequent Poster

Not too keen on this one. Really a 50/50 one for me. I'd say the 30,000 transcript errors alone should give her a new trial though, regardless of guilt.
Mystery Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #50
LaurierCrimmajor
Frequent Poster

While I can't say I believe that the local PD did a great job on this case by any stretch, I'm pretty comfortable with the verdict and don't believe there was enough reasonable doubt...for myself that is.

The 30, 000 transcript errors is really hinky to me too, however I question the breadth and magnitude of these errors, as they don't go into detail in the segment. By this I mean, are these simply grammatical errors? Is it possible that the stenographer didn't double space after every new sentence or is of the purely technical nature and the defense is trying to utilize this as a technicality or are these errors related to factual inaccuracies and omissions?

I have a great deal of specific educational training within areas of filicide, infanticide, neonaticide, family annihilators and all forms of suicide and with special focus on mothers with postpartum depression, it is a very harrowing and multifaceted topic, that is quite difficult to interpret for the layperson. From here, I would not be surprised if this were originally a planned murder/suicide and the mother lost her nerve when it came to killing herself, which for myself explains her wounds. This would fall in line with a postpartum depression motive, which I could accept.

I also have great issue with the possession of the murder weapon, as it just doesn't make sense to me why an attacker would leave themselves open to attack from a living victim by leaving their weapon availible to be taken or furthermore, get scared away by a female stabwound victim, after having callously murdered two boys and somehow lost their weapon on such a small woman? This all doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'm also very intrigued by the husband and wife dynamic and what impact that had on the night of this tragedy. I'm curious as to how hard of a run LE took at the husband from the getgo, how exactly he was cleared. If there was a potential of an upcoming divorce, which could be a very costly and tenuous, stressful event, this would've been a fine lead for either parent, however it seems the forensics points to the wife.

With many cases that aren't a lock, there are many factors than make one pause and holdup due to police error or malfeasance, I see the ones in this case, but am ultimately unmoved.
LaurierCrimmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #51
McBevis
Forum Regular

Perhaps I'm a bit too optimistic about this type of thing, because it's never comforting to find out that someone who claims to be innocent overwhelmingly ends up being guilty, but this is a segment I've seen many times, and in all seriousness, I think there are several things that cast doubt upon Darlie Routier being guilty.

First, there's the issue of the hair found stuck in the window screen. DNA testing proved that it was not Darlie's, but rather that of a Rowlett, Texas police officer, and a troubling question that arises from that is: what was that hair doing in the screen in the first place?

Second, most people insisted that Darlie's injuries were self-inflicted and non-life threatening, but closer analysis revealed that the knife wound in her neck would have killed her if it had been just as little as 1/16 of an inch deeper, and I just don't see how Darlie could have known to stop it right where she did.

Third, it was brought up during the segment that the life insurance policies on the two boys were worth a total of $10,000 (less than what it would cost to bury them), yet the life insurance policy on Darlie's husband was worth several hundred thousand dollars. If she was intent on killing for money so she could resume a lavish lifestyle, why didn't she kill her husband instead? $10,000 is not going to carry you that far.

It's certainly one of the most deeply provocative guilty-or-innocent cases in UM history, and I don't completely disregard those who think she's guilty, but I think that the things I mentioned do cast at least some reasonable doubt.
McBevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #52
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurierCrimmajor
The 30, 000 transcript errors is really hinky to me too, however I question the breadth and magnitude of these errors, as they don't go into detail in the segment. By this I mean, are these simply grammatical errors? Is it possible that the stenographer didn't double space after every new sentence or is of the purely technical nature and the defense is trying to utilize this as a technicality or are these errors related to factual inaccuracies and omissions?
IIRC, some of the errors were fairly serious including recording a witness's "yes" answer as a "no" or vice versa. The court recorder had not transcribed the documents in a timely manner and was making appearances on tv shows. She was even held in contempt by the judge regarding the transcript but I've forgotten the details on why that happened.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #53
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

I've always thought this was a fascinating case, although I do think that "Darlie did it."

I just have never come across a case where an intruder breaks in to a house simply to bump off two kids -- I mean, this was a large, upper-middle-class home, where the parents were obviously home that evening. What "intruder" is going to walk in, grab their knife, stab two little kids, then try to kill mom (but apparently get scared off by a small woman) and run out the door?

I could see an intruder coming in if it was just two little kids sleeping there by themselves.

I could see an intruder coming in if it was just a woman sleeping there by herself.

I cannot fathom any sort of bad guy bothering with a mom AND two little kids...and then simply run out of the house, never to be seen again...

I think Darlie had a narcissistic snap and was going to kill herself, too, but then her self-preservation kicked-in and I think maybe a teeny tiny part of her doesn't entirely dislike her new notoriety...just my two cents
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #54
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Honestly, who else could have murdered these boys outside of Darlie or Darin?

-Nothing was missing from the home.
-The murder weapon used was a knife that belonged to the Routier's.
-There was no blood found on the outside of the Routier residence. Everything was contained inside the residence.
-The sock used to "conceal fingerprints" was one that belonged to the Routier's.
-There was no signs of a disturbance on the window that was slit, indicating that nothing came in or went out of that window.
-There has never been a viable suspect, outside of Darlie (and possibly Darin) that has ever surfaced in the past 15+ years since the murders.

When it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's usually going to be a duck.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #55
scc1222
Forum Regular

yes and anytime the weapons and such come from inside the house,odds are it's an inside job.I'm sure there may be exceptions;generally though,that's the case,and experts know it.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #56
1990 UM fan

No need for anyone to get defensive here, I am open to everyone's opinions here and I would hope the same from everyone else.
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #57
scc1222
Forum Regular

not being defensive,my apologies if I came off that way,just trying to stick to the facts.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #58
1990 UM fan

From what I read in an article from this past July, the court allowed Darlie's defense to proceed with testing blood and DNA evidence from the original crime scene. The article here will tell you more about the latest developments but that the testing results have not been made public as of yet: http://justice4juveniles.wordpress.c...rom-execution/

Here is an article from last Tuesday as well: http://pollyannalana.hubpages.com/hub/Darlie-Routier
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #59
DALLASTEXAN!!

I know many of you are tired of hearing about this case so I'm sorry.

But at best I feel that this is a 50/50 case. I don't see how a person can be on death row under these circumstances. I lived in DFW when this case broke out and LE focused on her from day one in spite of what the evidence said. they left out evidence in her trial and used the video tape from her son's bday/funeral which was wrong. this was a high profile case and it was in the dallas media from day one and there was a lot of pressure on law enforcement to convict her. I think this is a major factor that no one affilliated with UM considers.

she got convicted in the court of public opinion and like many other people in texas she got hammered by circumstancial evidence that can be argued many ways. how many cases like this have we seen on UM only to see that an innocent person was convicted yet this one is different? i don't get it. she may be guilty, but may is the key word and I do not believe in executing people that may have committed a crime.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

I recently saw another show on Darlie (I think maybe Notorious or Women Behind Bars), and something I'd not known before was brought up: when she was on the 911 call, apparently one of her little boys was still alive (barely).

When you listen to the 911 call, you can hear Darlie immediately start talking about an intruder, rather than "omg operator what do I do to save my little boy, CPR or do I try to stop the blood flow or what?"

It's actually quite chilling to listen to when you're presented with the fact that while she's jabbering about this stealth intruder, her little son is gasping for life in the next room...and she's not trying to help him survive...
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote