Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #166
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I've always leaned toward Darlie being guilty, but primarily because the murder weapon belonged to the household, and Darlie claimed the assault was carried about by a stranger who had broken into her home. As I've brought up before, it's hard for me to imagine someone intent on committing a criminal act not bringing his or her own weapon (unless the intruder had good reason to think the home was unoccupied). But even then, we have a cut window screen--despite the fact that one can simply remove a window screen (by simply displacing the retention tabs) with far less effort and noise than it would take to cut it and move through it. So, we allegedly have an intruder who supposedly cuts through a window screen with some kind of sharp tool he's carrying, yet he chooses to use a knife from the home to murder two little boys and injure their mother. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I recorded the Routier Forensic Files episode this week and like wiseguy mentioned, it was very clear-cut that this case was presented quite differently than it has been on other television shows. FF presented a LOT of prosecution evidence, nearly to the absence of that from the defense. Of course, this IS Forensic Files, and Darlie Routier was convicted, so I can maybe see why that was the case.

The more I watch and read about this case, the more suspicious Darin becomes to me.
After reading through the trial transcripts, Darlie didn't have much of a defense. It was a lot of relatives saying how close she was to her children, how she was a good mother, etc., some friends of Darlie, and a woman who claimed to have had an attempted burglary/home invasion on the same night Darlie's boys were murdered. That woman was picked apart by the prosecution, and it definitely didn't seem like she was playing with a full deck.

ETA: I think people are too hard on Darin. He was the one who was administering CPR to his son, he was the one who ran out and sought a neighbor who was a nurse to help save his children, AND he was the only adult present in the room where the surviving child was sleeping. It just doesn't make any sense for him to have any involvement. Compare his actions after seeing his sons as compared to Darlie.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #167
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
ETA: I think people are too hard on Darin. He was the one who was administering CPR to his son, he was the one who ran out and sought a neighbor who was a nurse to help save his children, AND he was the only adult present in the room where the surviving child was sleeping. It just doesn't make any sense for him to have any involvement. Compare his actions after seeing his sons as compared to Darlie.
All of these things are valid points, but I'm not sure what kind of man makes comments about the size of his wife's breasts after she's been rushed to an emergency room bleeding profusely from knife wounds allegedly inflicted by an unknown assailant. Maybe we can chalk it up to "people say stupid things", but man, that's kind of weird.

I will admit most of what personally puts me off about him is his demeanor in interviews. He almost always seems a little chipper for my taste, but that's certainly no indication of his guilt. It does give me a weird feeling, however.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #168
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Count me in the "Darlie's guilty" camp as well. Why? For the same reason, Diane Downs and probably Jeffrey MacDonald are guilty: discrepancies in injuries. Two kids get deep thrusting chest wounds while the adult, who would pose the most threat to a burglar, gets a slash along the neck?! Yeah, I think the carotid artery thing was just luck on Darlie's part.

But I do agree with everyone about Darin. There is just something skeevy about that guy and I have to wonder to what extent was his involvement?

But then again, I've always been a little suspicious of families where everyone has the same initials. Especially if their last name is Duggar. Maybe it's an unfair generalization but it seems like the type of families who do the same letter naming scheme usually seem more concerned with tailoring their kids into box sets rather than, y'know, raising adults who will eventually have to think for themselves and carve out an identity outside the family.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #169
NDAlum2003
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
I agree that the video is probably what convicted her (didn't some of the jurors say as much?), and that bothers me. I think it's very possible that she's guilty, but she shouldn't be convicted by that video. It's not proof of guilt. Also, IIRC, the whole video wasn't shown, just the silly string part. There are other parts that show her grieving and crying.

I think Darren was at least involved. I think Darlie is probably guilty too, but I don't think the police did a very good job with the crime scene.
I cannot emphasize enough that people take the video out of context. Taking the video as a whole (seeing her hysterical both before and after the silly string scene), it then makes a lot of sense to know she was still under a doctor's care and taking pain medication for the injuries she had. Her behavior is pretty much what I would expect. She was basically in a daze for days afterward.

As to guilt, I will simply say, if an action is criminal, to convict one must believe the person is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I simply have to say no. Too much reasonable doubt.
NDAlum2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #170
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
Count me in the "Darlie's guilty" camp as well. Why? For the same reason, Diane Downs and probably Jeffrey MacDonald are guilty: discrepancies in injuries. Two kids get deep thrusting chest wounds while the adult, who would pose the most threat to a burglar, gets a slash along the neck?! Yeah, I think the carotid artery thing was just luck on Darlie's part.
Count me, too, on this. Also, Jeffrey MacDonald's wounds were more serious than superficial but that could have been just luck as well--ultimately they were not fatal--whether or not he had accomplices.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #171
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I'm watching the FF episode now. Will post more later, but there are some things that, had UM originally covered it, may have influenced my decision a bit more...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #172
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow

But I do agree with everyone about Darin. There is just something skeevy about that guy and I have to wonder to what extent was his involvement?

But then again, I've always been a little suspicious of families where everyone has the same initials. Especially if their last name is Duggar. Maybe it's an unfair generalization but it seems like the type of families who do the same letter naming scheme usually seem more concerned with tailoring their kids into box sets rather than, y'know, raising adults who will eventually have to think for themselves and carve out an identity outside the family.
People frequently die by having their necks slashed. Additionally, it wasn't her only injury. AFAIK, she didn't have any medical training or anything that would give her the knowledge to inflict that type of injury and survive. And this is the days before the internet was widespread.

Believing that she is guilty because everyone in the house had a name that started with D, and we don't even know she is the one who named her children? Oooookayyyyyyy......
Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #173
LooksLikeCRicci

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I found the blood spatter evidence to be the most convincing of her guilt. Also, the fact that blood had appeared to be cleaned up was also problematic for someone who is innocent. I thought the theory that she stood over the sink and cut herself was interesting and also plausible.

I was really interested in the shape of the blood droplets as they fell from her body. They would have been shaped differently had she been running as she said she was. Also, the blood spatter on the back of her nightshirt is hella incriminating, as is the lack of intruder footprints in all that blood.

It's not an indicator of guilt, but the silly string incident really messes with me. Even more now that I'm a mommy myself. I can't imagine doing that over my child's grave only a few days after they died, nor would I ask a flipping news crew to tag along.

So yeah. I think she's guilty and she is where she needs to be.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #174
isotope
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I found the blood spatter evidence to be the most convincing of her guilt. Also, the fact that blood had appeared to be cleaned up was also problematic for someone who is innocent. I thought the theory that she stood over the sink and cut herself was interesting and also plausible.

I was really interested in the shape of the blood droplets as they fell from her body. They would have been shaped differently had she been running as she said she was. Also, the blood spatter on the back of her nightshirt is hella incriminating, as is the lack of intruder footprints in all that blood.

It's not an indicator of guilt, but the silly string incident really messes with me. Even more now that I'm a mommy myself. I can't imagine doing that over my child's grave only a few days after they died, nor would I ask a flipping news crew to tag along.

So yeah. I think she's guilty and she is where she needs to be.

Agree with that, the foresnsics are, in my view, conclusive. Also the fact that she was keen to impress upon the 911 Operator and police officers that she had picked up the murder weapon is HUGELY significant in my view (an innocent person would not be too concerned about contaminating evidence in the general panic and chaos), and the general MO of the supposed perp doesn't make any sense - he apparently broke into the house, brutally killed two kids and tried to kill her....to what end? Darlie doesn't claim that he was interested in robbery or was a sex offender. There was also a family dog, who would bark and snap at the cops and EMTs, but, if apparently greeted this supposed offender with silence

I will concede some points to the "Darlie is innocent" crowd. The behaviour of the husband is more than a little suspicious - the cops should have looked at him a great deal more closely than they did. The evidence of the blood covered sock found some distance from the house is also puzzling. Lastly, video of the weird birthday bash at the graveside should not have gone before the jury - people grieve in all sorts of ways, and this behaviour, as odd and arguable distasteful as it was, is not inconsistent with innocence.
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #175
LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope
Lastly, video of the weird birthday bash at the graveside should not have gone before the jury - people grieve in all sorts of ways, and this behaviour, as odd and arguable distasteful as it was, is not inconsistent with innocence.
I totally agree... And I'm a PROSECUTOR!! Lol.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #176
wiseguy182

Quote:
I've always leaned toward Darlie being guilty, but primarily because the murder weapon belonged to the household, and Darlie claimed the assault was carried about by a stranger who had broken into her home. As I've brought up before, it's hard for me to imagine someone intent on committing a criminal act not bringing his or her own weapon (unless the intruder had good reason to think the home was unoccupied).
I have read online that only Darlie's and Damon's blood was found on the knife retrieved from the house. None of Devon's blood is on it. This suggests to me two intruders and two murder weapons.

I have no idea why intruders would murder two boys, but then again, I have no idea what motive Darlie would have had either. Apparently Darin had an $800,000 life insurance policy, while both boys combined had a lot less. Murdering Darin would have had a lot bigger payoff, if you will.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #177
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
All of these things are valid points, but I'm not sure what kind of man makes comments about the size of his wife's breasts after she's been rushed to an emergency room bleeding profusely from knife wounds allegedly inflicted by an unknown assailant. Maybe we can chalk it up to "people say stupid things", but man, that's kind of weird.

I will admit most of what personally puts me off about him is his demeanor in interviews. He almost always seems a little chipper for my taste, but that's certainly no indication of his guilt. It does give me a weird feeling, however.
Guess I shouldn't have said "too hard"...what I had meant was people were piling on Darin as a possible suspect or if he had some involvement in the murders, and I just don't see it. He has always struck me as a self absorbed pretentious wannabe in just about every interview I've seen of him.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #178
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
What's even more ridiculous is her excuse for doing it at their graves...because they already bought presents and sent out invites!? Jesus, I'm pretty sure the people you invited would understand if you cancelled the "party".
Old 12-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #179
wiseguy182

Interestingly, Darlie took a lie detector test, the results of which have never been released.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Lisa Clayton believed Darlie was innocent after interviewing her, stating that she showed typical black-out and distorted memory symptoms of someone who experienced trauma.

The jury was not shown photographs of Darlie's injuries (there were a lot of them), which strongly indicated she fought off an attacker. Perhaps most telling was severe bruising and she also appeared to have been struck with a blunt instrument. (if said item was in the house, what was it?).

Here is a link to photos of Darlie's injuries

http://murderpedia.org/female.R/r/ro...e-injuries.htm

Quite frankly, her arms and neck look terrible. She also looks severely depressed, which would be a normal reaction.

I think one of the biggest reasons I believe that she may be innocent is the suicide letter she wrote, about a month previous to the attacks. She stated that she loved her 3 sons more than anything in the world. She would have no reason to lie there as she thought she was dying anyways. I don't see how she could go from that, to violently murdering 2 of them in a few weeks. Experts also say there would have been warning signs in Darlie, and apparently there were none. She even made them popcorn and watched a movie with them earlier in the evening.

Conversely, here is what I found about Darin:

-he gave inconsistent statements.

-he asked his father a short time before the attacks how to arrange a burglary of his house as part of an insurance scam, but stated he wanted to arrange it so that everyone was out of the house at the time. I really have to wonder if Darin had planned such a burglary, but perhaps got the date wrong or forgot about it and the burglars felt forced to kill Darlie, Devon and Damon since they were witnesses.

Seriously, I think this may have been what happened.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #180
LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Interestingly, Darlie took a lie detector test, the results of which have never been released.
*cough* *cough* Because she failed it. *cough* *cough*

All kidding aside, the ONLY reason I can think of that the results wouldn't have been published are because she failed. Or because it was inconclusive. From my own experience, if I've got FAVORABLE evidence to share, I'm going to do it. And I'm going to scream about it a lot.

However... that being said, I do think you raise some interesting points about Darin, wiseguy. I have wondered how he could have simply slept through what seemed like a hell of a fight. IF it actually happened the way Darlie says it did, I would assume that there would be quite a bit of noise. She'd be yelling, there would be glass breaking... you get my point. How does one sleep through that? Answer is obvious: He was either in on it, or he was the intruder.

I tend to believe he was in on it, but not the one who did the actual killing of the children. The blood spatter evidence sealed it for me, although I agree that he needed to be looked at more closely.