Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD/Streaming News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Remembering Renť Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Default Adamantium: Facing Shows He Hates Thru DVD

Iím watching the first seasons (and maybe beyond) of sitcoms I hate on DVD. I figure, either Iíll end up liking the show and have one less show to hate or Iíll at least be more knowledgeable of the series. First up: ďJust Shoot Me!Ē Why? Because I already own seasons one and two.

I watched the first six episodes (aka the first season). I plan to finish the DVD box set but I wanted to go ahead and post my feelings on the debut season. The first three episodes were genuinely bad in my eyes. I didnít laugh once. However, beginning with the fourth episode (Ninaís Birthday), I found myself laughing here and there. Itís my opinion that the show has a talented cast. Itís the writing thatís not on par with itís talent.

I kind of see it like the first season of ďThe Odd Couple.Ē One of my favorite sitcoms of all-time had a pretty weak first season. But watching it, you could tell the cast had both talent and chemistry. Itís just a matter of getting better scripts written. And in ďThe Odd Couple'sĒ case, it got better... LOTS better. I could see ďJust Shoot MeĒ getting better and becoming a good show. But I donít know if that happened or if the episodes remained like they are in the first six episodes.

Iíd also like to say the underused Wally (played by Chris Hogan) was the funniest character (David Spade is second) and itís a shame they didnít keep him on. Though, his scenes were really pointless. He should have been a co-worker at the office.

Other shows I hate and plan to watch on DVD and comment on are...
George Lopez
Two and a Half Men
The Nanny
Becker

I'm sure there are others. Despite loving TV, there are a lot of shows I hate. And I don't want to anymore.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

You've got a lot of guts, Adam. I can't even watch a show I hate on tv and that's free, let alone spend hard earned money on a season set of a show I hate. I have blind bought many shows on DVD though and there were a few I didn't really care for.

I used to love JSM when it was still on the air. I sorta lost interest in it after watching it so much when it went into syndication, however. I'm not sure if I'd ever buy it on DVD. The 3rd season is when the show really started to take off, IMO. I don't know if you were aware of this, but Joe Rogan, Stephen Root, Andy Dick, and Dave Foley all appeared on this show. In fact, the episodes with Dave and Andy were among my favorites.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
You've got a lot of guts, Adam. I can't even watch a show I hate on tv and that's free, let alone spend hard earned money on a season set of a show I hate. I have blind bought many shows on DVD though and there were a few I didn't really care for.
I bought "Just Shoot Me" back when I was into collecting every sitcom DVD. So that's why it's the first one I'm checking out. I've kind of resented it for it's popularity, while "NewsRadio" was very low rated but in my opinion a far superior show. I know it's not JSM's fault, it still aggravates me.

There is something weird about me. I can dislike a show on TV, but when I get it on DVD, I become a fan of it. For years I loathed "Friends." But once I bought the seasons on DVD (back when I was collecting every sitcom), I fell in love with the show. I don't know. Maybe it's the feeling of owning a show on DVD that makes me like it or at least not hate it as much. So that's why I'm trying it with other shows I don't like. It seems to have worked somewhat for "Just Shoot Me." I'm considering buying the third season (when it comes). The second season, so far is an improvement over the first season.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Sophia's Wrinkles
Forum Regular

That is exactly how I came to love Friends. One day on a whim I bought the first seven (!) seasons packaged together because it was a good deal. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had hated it. I also hated Cheers until I got attached to Frasier and then had to see the beginnings of his character.
Sophia's Wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Well for Show #1, my experiment has worked. I now like "Just Shoot Me!" It's not one of my top 10 favorite sitcoms, but I enjoyed watching the DVD. For this show it wasn't the writing that I liked, though the writing did improve. It was the cast of characters. Especially Jack Gallo and Dennis Finch. I also liked Maya Gallo, Elliott DiMauro and Nina Van Horn. That makes it a full cast.

I haven't decided which show will be next. The two sitcoms I hate the most these days are "Two and a Half Men" and "George Lopez." So I think it's important that I tackle one of those two series.

Last edited by Adamantium; 08-10-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
I bought "Just Shoot Me" back when I was into collecting every sitcom DVD. So that's why it's the first one I'm checking out. I've kind of resented it for it's popularity, while "NewsRadio" was very low rated but in my opinion a far superior show. I know it's not JSM's fault, it still aggravates me.

There is something weird about me. I can dislike a show on TV, but when I get it on DVD, I become a fan of it. For years I loathed "Friends." But once I bought the seasons on DVD (back when I was collecting every sitcom), I fell in love with the show. I don't know. Maybe it's the feeling of owning a show on DVD that makes me like it or at least not hate it as much. So that's why I'm trying it with other shows I don't like. It seems to have worked somewhat for "Just Shoot Me." I'm considering buying the third season (when it comes). The second season, so far is an improvement over the first season.
I'm the same way with shows in syndication. I never really liked "Friends" at all, even though I would watch it on occasion. I watched the last episode, just to see how it would all end up. And I've found that some shows that I hated during their regular runs (The Cosby Show, Friends, Wings, etc), I've grown to like.

However, as far as buying an entire DVD set? I have to REALLY like the show to do that.

Andrea

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote