Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #91
Mastermind

Quote:
The house she was abducted on was not on reservation land whatsoever. It is well within the City of Gallup limits and idk why the FBI was involved. The reservation is located south of the city.
Gallup, NM is right in the heart of several reservations. The situation between the reservation police and Gallup Police Department is much like the Los Angeles County Sherriff and LAPD in Compton, CA. The Gallup PD is constantly in contact with reservation police giving their extremely large Native American population. In fact, Gallup has a specialized task force with the reservation police that deals with drug enforcement in Native Lands. In a missing or abduction case, practically all the local reservation police departments would be called in. And almost certainly the local FBI on those reservations would be begged to participate.

It was an abduction, the FBI is almost always called in by local police. Most likely the reservation FBI would have first been contacted since they were the closest. Then the local FBI would get assistance from agents from the closest Resident Agency.

Last edited by Mastermind; 10-09-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #92
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezItsJustMe
The house she was abducted on was not on reservation land whatsoever. It is well within the City of Gallup limits and idk why the FBI was involved. The reservation is located south of the city.
The FBI has jurisdiction over all abduction cases per federal law.

My point above was that I would not suspect the mother (on the reasonable assumption that she would have already been investigated and cleared by LE), so if we presume the FBI are competent investigators (a reasonable presumption, methinks), then it's hard to believe they wouldn't have pointed the finger at mom if something was truly amiss.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #93
Mastermind

Quote:
My point above was that I would not suspect the mother (on the reasonable assumption that she would have already been investigated and cleared by LE), so if we presume the FBI are competent investigators (a reasonable presumption, methinks), then it's hard to believe they wouldn't have pointed the finger at mom if something was truly amiss.
In child abduction/murder the parents are ALWAYS the first suspects as well as the first witnesses. They will be grilled intensively to not only get valuable info, but to determine if they killed their own child. Even if not suspected initually, once the search or wiretaps turn up nothing, the investigators will always come back to see if they are cleared of any wrongdoing.

The FBI in particular is anxious to prove that this is a murder by the parents as it saves them from having to do vast searches and expensive wiretaps.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #94
Mastermind

Quote:
The FBI has jurisdiction over all abduction cases per federal law
Technically yes, but as amazing as it sound there are several situations were they would not investigate:

1. If the local police tells the FBI that they don't need assistance and the SAC of the FBI resident agency agrees. (this happens a lot more than people think.)
2. The supervisory agent comes up with a elaborate reason that the case is not a federal jursidiction. (such as there is evidence that the child is actually murdered and that there is no real abduction--This rarely happens though)
3. The family does not have a home phone, hence a wiretap is unnecesary. Or the neighborhood the child vanished in is a low income housing area that does not need such a wide search as the suspect and child is most likely withing the local area.(this happens all too frequently in high poverty areas)
4. There is a major unit wide investigation that takes precendence over a missing child and investigators cannnot be spared(such as an imminent
terrorist investigation, national security issue or other child abduction)

Truth be told...if the FBI wants to investigate something, they can come up with some reason to investigate it. if the FBI doesn't want to investigate something, they probably can come up with a reason not to investigate.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #95
Phanekim
Frequent Poster

I'm still awaiting more information. I'm surprised this poster hasn't said more. Might be a troll. maybe not. who knows. I would like to hear more as well. That family knows the truth about what happened to her.
Phanekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #96
wonderfalls
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
As I think about it, I wonder if Anthonette hadn't made previous arrangement to see somebody, perhaps an older man that she naively trusted but who she knew her mother would not approve her going out with, and that this man kidnapped her. Just one possibility.
She was nine years old.
wonderfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #97
Mastermind

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
As I think about it, I wonder if Anthonette hadn't made previous arrangement to see somebody, perhaps an older man that she naively trusted but who she knew her mother would not approve her going out with, and that this man kidnapped her. Just one possibility.

She was nine years old.
Her age is irrelevant when considering pedophilia.

The actual argument against this theory is why this guy had to break into the house to grab her? He could easily nab her outside in the same place he met her in the first place. If Antoinette's mother was aware of a strange guy going after her daughter...wouldn;t he be the first suspect???
Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #98
porchlight
Frequent Poster

I see nothing to indicate Anthonette's mom had anything to do with this at all. There is NO evidence to indicate that at all, that I can see. Anthonette's little sister coming forward after five years does not surprise me at all. Imagine the trauma! There is evidence of abduction, however. Jaycee's case comes to mind. So many people insisted her dad's story was not true when he witnessed the abduction...for years. They were ALL WRONG.
porchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #99
wonderfalls
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
Her age is irrelevant when considering pedophilia.
That's not what I was saying. That other poster was suggesting that she had a boyfriend/adult male friend that her parents disapproved of. Nine-year-olds don't make arrangements to meet people either, and they're too young to be interested in grown men.
wonderfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #100
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

This is definitely one of the more unusual cases that I'd love to see solved (I hope she's alive). Just wondering, what does everyone think the chances are that the 14 year old girl in the restaurant was her?

I think it's definitely possible, but if it was... I wonder why it took 5 years for her to try and signal for help (maybe they rarely went out?). Especially with it being in public it would've been safer if she'd tried to escape or flat out ask someone for help.

In a way I hope that WASNT her - I'd hate to think she came close to being rescued only to go back into captivity and perhaps dead.
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #101
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81
This is definitely one of the more unusual cases that I'd love to see solved (I hope she's alive). Just wondering, what does everyone think the chances are that the 14 year old girl in the restaurant was her?(
I think it was her for sure. The reason why is because I am sure the waitress would have been shown pictures of her extensively. The bizarre behaviour, the note, etc. It has to be her. I also believe that the phone call is her. Unless someone is doing a sick prank. But the mother's spine stiffening when she hears her daughters voice is good enough reason for me to believe it.

And yeah I would think that couple at the restaurant would never take her out at all. Maybe they threatened her if she talked which is why she was so privately seeking help. We don't know why it never happened again to be honest.

I am torn on her little sister's story. Why would a nine year old answer the door and not her mother? Why would her little 5 year old sister not alert her mother if her sister was abducted? Why wait 5 years to say something? And can the memory of a kid be that fresh 4 years later? For whatever reason that story screamed parallels of Larry Gibson's daughter and her fake story. But I could be wrong.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #102
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
I think it was her for sure. The reason why is because I am sure the waitress would have been shown pictures of her extensively. The bizarre behaviour, the note, etc. It has to be her. I also believe that the phone call is her. Unless someone is doing a sick prank. But the mother's spine stiffening when she hears her daughters voice is good enough reason for me to believe it.

And yeah I would think that couple at the restaurant would never take her out at all. Maybe they threatened her if she talked which is why she was so privately seeking help. We don't know why it never happened again to be honest.

I am torn on her little sister's story. Why would a nine year old answer the door and not her mother? Why would her little 5 year old sister not alert her mother if her sister was abducted? Why wait 5 years to say something? And can the memory of a kid be that fresh 4 years later? For whatever reason that story screamed parallels of Larry Gibson's daughter and her fake story. But I could be wrong.
I have doubts re: the restaurant sighting. How does the girl have the time and opportunity to write out a help message, yet not to run a few feet over to help? Why take her out at all? The years that passed since Anthonette disappeared and the sighting gives me further pause; kids can change alot, regardless of age-enhanced composites.

The phone call, I find more credible; of course, I have nothing to base this upon other than the mother's insistence on it being Anthonette's voice.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #103
Mastermind

Quote:
I have doubts re: the restaurant sighting. How does the girl have the time and opportunity to write out a help message, yet not to run a few feet over to help? Why take her out at all? The years that passed since Anthonette disappeared and the sighting gives me further pause; kids can change alot, regardless of age-enhanced composites.
There have been many cases of abducted people whom seemed to have an opportunity to escape but don't seem to follow that logical pattern.
It's possible that Antoinette did try to do so and was severly punished in a failed attempt. That alone would make someone hesitant to try to escape.

"Stockholm syndrome" should also be considered.

Quote:
The phone call, I find more credible; of course, I have nothing to base this upon other than the mother's insistence on it being Anthonette's voice.
The phone call could be as false as the above sighting IMHO. Her mother is a biased source.

It;s also possible this was a
1. prank call
2. scam to extort money.
3. mislead to hide the murder of Antoinette.

Quote:
This whole story leads me to consider that this was not a stranger crime. That Antoinette knew her abductor.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #104
mattc
Forum Regular

I feel that the call was more likely to be legitimate than the restaurant sighting. Think of all the good-intentioned people on UM who were "absolutely sure" that they saw the victim, and they turned out to be wrong: I'm thinking of Gale Delano, Lisa Marie Kimmel, to name just a few.

Remember, the girl in the restaurant was hundreds of miles away from the abduction, and five years had passed; especially when it comes to children, think of how many child relatives that you don't see for five years, and when you see them again, you hardly recognize them. I just don't think that the girl was Antoinnette for some reason.

In terms of the call, and I mentioned this before: Since the girl was not in the jurisdiction of the original kidnapping when she called (she was in Albuquerque, according to the caller, how was she able to reach the local police station where Antoinnette was originally abducted? When you dial 911, you get the local police operating center, so the caller would have gotten the Albuquerque operator. For her to get the operator she got, wouldn't she have to dial a seven digit number of that specific precinct?
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #105
burbqueen
Master of My Domain
Frequent Poster

ok i've heard the call and the mom said it was her by the way she pronounced the last name. i do believe it was her, but the sighting was a bit odd. If it wasnt her then who was it? why would she write help??