Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #286
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I keep going back and forth.

It should be noted Amanda Berry's call to 911, which was a legit call, had something similar. Her first words were "Help me, I'm Amanda Berry." Though she did ask for help, there's the suggestion there that she figured the 911 operator would know who she was by stating her name. As the call goes on, she has to tell him she's a kidnap victim, which he apparently did not know.
It's funny you say that because we just watched the Dateline special about Amanda Berry this past weekend.

Whoever the caller was, it was apparent that they knew saying her name would be enough to illicit a response.

For what it's worth, I remember in elementary school being taught about just "how" to make an emergency call, and one thing that was stressed was to immediately and clearly say your name and location. I'm not sure how commonplace such teachings are/were.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #287
Outloud
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I don't think the girl in the diner was Anthonette. If she was sold into sexual slavery as you suggest, taking her out in public like that would be pretty risky, especially when there is really no good reason to do it. I mean, she could have escaped or alerted the authorities, and certainly there are other ways of feeding her besides taking her to a restaurant in public where she could act out. Unless of course her abductors were trying to inject some sense of "normalcy" into her life. Regardless, I really don't think that was Anthonette. Eyewitness identification is just so sketchy and imprecise. Hell, the Kari Lynn Nixon / NKOTB thread that was recently bumped is just such a case in point.
I dunno, I think that sighting was at least 4 years from the abduction. That's a hell of a long time for a child, and I believe the ages from 9-13 are a very significant period of development, definitely mentally. She may have been submissed by that point, and could've fallen victim to Stockholm syndrome. And it's a small world. But my viewpoint on that being Anthonette was never a firm one, just a suspicion. One thing that would lead me to believe it wasn't her, was the fact it was a couple. I know there are some sick couples out there, but the unlikeliness of this just adds to the possibility of the girl not being her.

Either way, that girl very likely was in grave danger, I wonder what use a couple would've had with her. Obviously not a ransom or anything...
Outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #288
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outloud
I dunno, I think that sighting was at least 4 years from the abduction. That's a hell of a long time for a child, and I believe the ages from 9-13 are a very significant period of development, definitely mentally. She may have been submissed by that point, and could've fallen victim to Stockholm syndrome. And it's a small world. But my viewpoint on that being Anthonette was never a firm one, just a suspicion. One thing that would lead me to believe it wasn't her, was the fact it was a couple. I know there are some sick couples out there, but the unlikeliness of this just adds to the possibility of the girl not being her.

Either way, that girl very likely was in grave danger, I wonder what use a couple would've had with her. Obviously not a ransom or anything...
I think the fact that the sighting was so many years after the fact also works against it being Anthonette. Because if you think about it, we really have no way of knowing how Anthonette would look at that age. Even age progressed photos are not exactly precise. On that note, I think the waitress may have even seen a flyer with an age progressed photo of Anthonette and that was how she ID'd her as the girl in the restaurant. My overall point is that with age progressed photos, and eyewitness identification being so weak, I really have a hard time believing it was Anthonette. There are just too many unstable variables.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #289
DALLASTEXAN!!

I've been thinking about this case since I'm in the land of enchantment. One thing I love about UM it showed me different places around the country and now when I go to those places I think about the show.

One thing that strikes me about Gallup is that it is a small town. It is definitely a must visit if you've never been there. In towns of those size people tend to know one another and it can be hard to keep secrets once people talk. I've read that Gallup has an alarming violent crime rate that is possibly double the rate of Albuquerque per capita which is surprising. I would have a hard time coming up with motive for why this abduction took place, but clearly they must have known one another. And what possible motives did we maybe not hear about? I need to rewatch for sure.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #290
JannTosh
Forum Regular

I definitely believe the mother knew more than she was letting on
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #291
Murkywaters
Frequent Poster

http://www.abqjournal.com/752146/new...years-ago.html

New media article about Anthonette.

Anthonette has been missing for 30 years today.
Murkywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #292
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Interesting that in that article posted, Wendy walks back about her story that she told to investigators.

"I remember the police asking me what happened, and I had thought then that it was one of our uncles at the door. That turned out not to be true. Really, I'm not sure what happened to her."

This could be why the UM website has that tidbit removed from their overview of the case.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:41 AM   #293
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

You know what I'm thinking--that was the real Anthonette in the phone call. Had she been sold, her mother could have put the people who bought her up to staging the call, rather than involving other people. The child, especially, might talk years later and say she was put up to pretending to be Anthonette, whereas the real one would be under the control of her captors.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #294
comicbookwriter
Frequent Poster

This is a terrible, sad and dark story that doesn't seem to have any kind of ending.

The most logical conclusion is that Anthonette's mother may have willfully sold the child into sex trafficking or sold her to a black market adoption ring. It's just pathetic that the mother kept information from authorities for so long.

I hope that Anthonette (if alive) isn't suffering.

CBW
comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #295
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookwriter
This is a terrible, sad and dark story that doesn't seem to have any kind of ending.

The most logical conclusion is that Anthonette's mother may have willfully sold the child into sex trafficking or sold her to a black market adoption ring. It's just pathetic that the mother kept information from authorities for so long.

I hope that Anthonette (if alive) isn't suffering.

CBW
The only problem I have with this theory is why Anthonette? She was the oldest child at the time, and the one who would remember more. Why not "sell" one of the other children?

Nice avatar picture BTW!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #296
charmedsignora
Frequent Poster

Whenever I hear about this case, I think of Bobby and Christi Baskin. Christi was about 9 years old when the Maples took her-- roughly the same age that Antoinette was when she was abducted. Christi, I believe, eventually forgot who her real parents were and came to believe that the Maples were her mother and father (am I right about this?)

The same thing could have happened to Antoinette.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #297
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedsignora
Whenever I hear about this case, I think of Bobby and Christi Baskin. Christi was about 9 years old when the Maples took her-- roughly the same age that Antoinette was when she was abducted. Christi, I believe, eventually forgot who her real parents were and came to believe that the Maples were her mother and father (am I right about this?)

The same thing could have happened to Antoinette.
I don't believe Christie and Bobby forgot who their real parents were. They were too old at the time they were taken, and were likely brainwashed into believing enough horrible things about their parents that they refuse to make contact to this day.

I don't think any amount of brainwashing would cause a 9-year-old to forget her real parents. I think once a child is past 5-6 or so that gets darn near impossible.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #298
comicbookwriter
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The only problem I have with this theory is why Anthonette? She was the oldest child at the time, and the one who would remember more. Why not "sell" one of the other children?

Nice avatar picture BTW!
Thanks!!! Born and raised in Bmore!

You ask a good question, but if she was indeed sold into trafficking, you have to remember that there's a need for all kinds of boys and girls at all ages. It's a sick twisted thing that I've done research on and she might have been what someone was looking for.

Also, consider the fact that women from their late teens up to their late 20s are often taken for trafficking depending on the region and their physical types. Age is no longer a deterrent for that trade.

There's so much more to this case than we'll ever know.

CBW
comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #299
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I believe there was an older article posted that said that the FBI did not think Penny was directly involved in the kidnapping, but knew more than what she was letting on because she failed a polygraph.

Could be something as simple as leaving the children unattended after relieving the babysitter that made her feel responsible for Anthonette's abduction. Who knows?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #300
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

I have seen this segment more times than i care to admit. I have some lingering questions. How exactly did they know that Anthonette and her siblings were alone? Why only take her and not the other kids? Do you think that maybe the mother owed money or was in trouble and they took her to pay her debt?