Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #271
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Her mother seemed sure the voice was hers as it sounded like her. Did they ask friends or anyone else who knew her well whether it sounded like her?
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #272
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
The more I've thought about it over the years, the more I've leaned toward the call being a hoax.

Notice that as soon as the operator picks up, the first thing the caller states is her first and last name. Not that she needs help. Not that she's being held, or hurt, or whatever. Something about that doesn't set right with me. I have a hard time envisioning a 10 year-old child understanding that her disappearance would be well-publicized enough that the 911 operator would realize the significance of her stating her name right off the bat. HOWEVER, it definitely seems like something someone might certainly do if they wanted to hoax a 911 call from a missing person.
Another thing I found suspicious (though didn't realize for YEARS) is that the call was not actually made to 911. If you watch the segment again, I believe it is stated that the call came into a police department. Assuming this is true, I find it suspect that a child of Anthonette's age and supposedly being under such duress would know the number to the police department or have the means at their disposal to look it up.

I guess it's possible that the area of New Mexico in which Anthonette was abducted from or was being held in didn't have 911 service, as it wasn't as ubiquitous back then as it is today, and possibly the police department number was "promoted" as the one to dial in case of an emergency, but it still seems awfully hinky and convenient to me that the local police were called.

Just mulling this whole thing over. It's been a while since I saw the segment, but there are some clues that could point toward the "abduction" either being an inside job, or a coverup of a possible accidental death or something of that nature.

- the strange circumstances behind the emergency call.

- the strange story about the abduction itself relayed by Wendy. It always seemed unusual that she waited so long to come forward with it.

- the detail about "Uncle Joe."

- the mother's seeking out a psychic could be seen as subterfuge.

Granted, there could be "innocent" explanations for each point, as was more or less proffered in the segment, but taken together and evaluated differently they could suggest an inside job.

Moreover, I think it is statistically more common/probable that when crimes occur against children in the home that a parent or guardian is responsible. That's not to say it's impossible an intruder could have abducted Anthonette, just that the simplest and most logical explanation is to look to the parents.

Last edited by justins5256; 05-05-2015 at 10:13 AM.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #273
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think Penny may have coached Wendy into the story about "Uncle Joe". It explains why she waited so long to come forward with the story, and also why the FBI was still interested in talking to Penny on her deathbed.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #274
Outloud
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Another thing I found suspicious (though didn't realize for YEARS) is that the call was not actually made to 911. If you watch the segment again, I believe it is stated that the call came into a police department. Assuming this is true, I find it suspect that a child of Anthonette's age and supposedly being under such duress would know the number to the police department or have the means at their disposal to look it up.

I guess it's possible that the area of New Mexico in which Anthonette was abducted from or was being held in didn't have 911 service, as it wasn't as ubiquitous back then as it is today, and possibly the police department number was "promoted" as the one to dial in case of an emergency, but it still seems awfully hinky and convenient to me that the local police were called.

Just mulling this whole thing over. It's been a while since I saw the segment, but there are some clues that could point toward the "abduction" either being an inside job, or a coverup of a possible accidental death or something of that nature.

- the strange story about the abduction itself relayed by Wendy. It always seemed unusual that she waited so long to come forward with it.

Granted, there could be "innocent" explanations for each point, as was more or less proffered in the segment, but taken together and evaluated differently they could suggest an inside job.

Moreover, I think it is statistically more common/probable that when crimes occur against children in the home that a parent or guardian is responsible. That's not to say it's impossible an intruder could have abducted Anthonette, just that the simplest and most logical explanation is to look to the parents.
Made it through the entire thread, and in my view, the strongest circumstancial evidence seems to point towards Penny selling Anthonette into child sex trafficking. The only real questions are:

a) how much her sister Wendy actually remembers and knows. She'll probably NEVER admit to what she truly knows, I imagine she still fears her Mom even from the grave. The segment did show Penny going to a physic, so maybe this immediate family at least, believed in the metaphysical (among other things)

b) what was Anthonette's state of mind that night? We obviously don't know what exactly occurred, however believing the Mom orchestrated in the abduction, did Anthonette realize her own Mom abadoned her? This could help explain how no neighbors heard the abduction, and also, as mentioned earlier, about the supposed Anthonette sighting in NV, and perhaps her apprehensivness in her actions, due to knowing how her own Mom abandoned her. Yeah she could've got up in that diner and made a scene, but how much do 9-year olds really know? And also as mentioned previously, Stockholm syndrome and other factors would've been a huge mental inhibition on someone so young and traumatized. I wanna say that that might've actually been Anthonette, I certainly at least believe that more than the 911 call. A child of a completely different race and CLEARY not originating from an unkempt couple that very likely were not her parents of even an adopted or foster origin, being held against her will. The location was still in the Southwestern U.S. although it was almost 875 miles away... Again, this is if the waitress' story is deemed to be true (the story itself, not the girl actually being Cayedito). If this wasn't the missing child, then I think this was at least another child sex slave

I guess it's possible that it could've been a cover-up for involuntary/voluntary manslaughter, an actual real abduction, or even murder, or even related to drugs, however Penny receiving a car well above her financial means shortly after Anthonette disappearing, failing a polygraph and her carefree attitude seems to rule out these possibilities. The Federal Bureau of Investigations, not the local police or even a state attorney or governor, but the F.B. frickin I, wanting to interview you on your deathbed speaks VOLUMES... Regardless I believe if this case'll ever be solved, it most likely lies in the hands of Wendy, whether she knows it or not. If she was approached in an attempt to undergo hypnosis to possibly recover memories from that night, I wonder if she'd oblige......
Outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #275
Outloud
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think Penny may have coached Wendy into the story about "Uncle Joe". It explains why she waited so long to come forward with the story, and also why the FBI was still interested in talking to Penny on her deathbed.
I wonder why they couldn't/didn't make it in time... I also find it very symbolic that Penny just happened to die at such a young age of 47. If her eyes were open when her time came, then that says it all for me
Outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #276
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

Penny lead a very unhealthy lifestyle to say the least according to articles I read about the case. I am not sure if her death had to do with her lifestyle but I assume in some form it did
Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #277
Hambone2421

Quote:
I'm a few years behind on this case. How and when did Penn die? Any rumored reason as to why the FBI wanted to speak with her on her death bed?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #278
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

The FBI thinks that Penny had knowledge of her daughters disappearance and was hoping for a deathbed confession. She never gave one. I don't believe it was released her cause of death but I believe it was medical in nature. I suspect her lifestyle contributed to her health decline
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #279
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256

Re: the call--that NEVER occurred to me after all these years until you posted this. And now I'm even more convinced about the illegitimacy of it all.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #280
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
The FBI thinks that Penny had knowledge of her daughters disappearance and was hoping for a deathbed confession. She never gave one. I don't believe it was released her cause of death but I believe it was medical in nature. I suspect her lifestyle contributed to her health decline
Thanks for the clarification. What type of "lifestyle" did she lead?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #281
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Based on a few articles I have read over the years, she was a partier and one article stated an alcoholic/substance abuser. Now, by alcoholic I'm not sure if they meant a frequent and heavy binge drinker or a daily drinker but in any case, she wasn't exactly taking care of herself. Penny was out bar hopping while she had small children at home fending for themselves and this was a very frequent occurrence (not just the night her daughter was abducted). So that just shows her priorities in life. However, like I said I think that unfortunately is a symptom of a cycle of poverty and she was probably brought up in a similar manner.
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #282
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
The more I've thought about it over the years, the more I've leaned toward the call being a hoax.

Notice that as soon as the operator picks up, the first thing the caller states is her first and last name. Not that she needs help. Not that she's being held, or hurt, or whatever. Something about that doesn't set right with me. I have a hard time envisioning a 10 year-old child understanding that her disappearance would be well-publicized enough that the 911 operator would realize the significance of her stating her name right off the bat. HOWEVER, it definitely seems like something someone might certainly do if they wanted to hoax a 911 call from a missing person.
I keep going back and forth.

It should be noted Amanda Berry's call to 911, which was a legit call, had something similar. Her first words were "Help me, I'm Amanda Berry." Though she did ask for help, there's the suggestion there that she figured the 911 operator would know who she was by stating her name. As the call goes on, she has to tell him she's a kidnap victim, which he apparently did not know.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #283
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I keep going back and forth.

It should be noted Amanda Berry's call to 911, which was a legit call, had something similar. Her first words were "Help me, I'm Amanda Berry." Though she did ask for help, there's the suggestion there that she figured the 911 operator would know who she was by stating her name. As the call goes on, she has to tell him she's a kidnap victim, which he apparently did not know.
Yea, I agree. I think for the most part, we would hope that if someone is kidnapped that they would know the police were looking for them and thus, if they said their name, it would get to the right people (detective investigating their kidnapping/disappearance, family, etc.). I'm not sure a 10 year old would know that but I would certainly hope so.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #284
justins5256

Quote:
If that is true, the next question becomes "why?"

It could be something nefarious such as a coverup of her involvement in Anthonette's disappearance, or possibly something as mundane as her wanting the police to "work harder" to solve the case, or perhaps she had a beef with this family member (Uncle Joe) or reason to suspect he was involved, but for some reason she couldn't be directly forthcoming with those suspicions.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #285
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outloud
and also, as mentioned earlier, about the supposed Anthonette sighting in NV, and perhaps her apprehensivness in her actions, due to knowing how her own Mom abandoned her. Yeah she could've got up in that diner and made a scene, but how much do 9-year olds really know? And also as mentioned previously, Stockholm syndrome and other factors would've been a huge mental inhibition on someone so young and traumatized. I wanna say that that might've actually been Anthonette, I certainly at least believe that more than the 911 call. A child of a completely different race and CLEARY not originating from an unkempt couple that very likely were not her parents of even an adopted or foster origin, being held against her will. The location was still in the Southwestern U.S. although it was almost 875 miles away... Again, this is if the waitress' story is deemed to be true (the story itself, not the girl actually being Cayedito). If this wasn't the missing child, then I think this was at least another child sex slave
I don't think the girl in the diner was Anthonette. If she was sold into sexual slavery as you suggest, taking her out in public like that would be pretty risky, especially when there is really no good reason to do it. I mean, she could have escaped or alerted the authorities, and certainly there are other ways of feeding her besides taking her to a restaurant in public where she could act out. Unless of course her abductors were trying to inject some sense of "normalcy" into her life. Regardless, I really don't think that was Anthonette. Eyewitness identification is just so sketchy and imprecise. Hell, the Kari Lynn Nixon / NKOTB thread that was recently bumped is just such a case in point.