Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #241
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I think those are interesting and fair theories, Far Off Promise.

The only problem I have is the statement that "kidnappers don't conduct kidnappings in this manner." The facts of this case, as they are presented, are similar to both Elizabeth Smart and Polly Klaas, who were taken by strangers in front of witnesses. Although I generally feel your statement is correct, I just wanted to throw that out there.

I didn't know about Mom and the new car. That's certainly interesting, to say the least...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #242
lindamichelle1
Frequent Poster

i totally agree about the way of kidnapping. HOW would they know knocking at the door wouldnt wake someone else in the house, what if the mother heard it and opened the door. what if she had a boyfriend staying that night? its 3am the house would be dead silent, what did they do just quietly tap on the door and hope a kid would hear it? it doesnt make any sense.
i think someone sneaking into a window and kidnapping a kid is more believable but actually knocking and having like a 99% chance of waking the parents, no kidnapper would do that. i think they definitely had to have known the family for them to know there wouldnt be anyone else in the house, especially if the mother didnt get home til midnight, coz she could have brought anyone back with her., and also that the mother might be into drugs and be asleep deep enough a knock wouldnt wake her.
lindamichelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #243
dynoguy88

I'm sure the babysitter would have been able to tell the police if Penny looked or acted like she was drunk or high when she returned home at midnight. But that doesn't mean she didn't have anything after she arrived home.

The timeline we have been given afterwards is just a rough idea but nothing exact. For instance, Penny told the police that after she got home at midnight, all the children stayed up until 3:00 a.m. Wendy later tells police that she witnessed Anthonette get abducted around 3:00 a.m. So, how long after going to bed did this happen? Maybe she was mistaken by the time?

If Wendy was coached to make up that story, any sort of kidnapping could have been arranged and carried out during those several hours. We don't really know if any other visitors came over after the babysitter left. What did Penny do with the girls until 3:00 a.m.? Watch TV? Play games? (When I was that young, there's no way I'd have the will power to stay awake until 3:00 a.m. even if I tried.)

If everything did go down like Wendy said, take a good look at the rooms and front doorway in the segment to get a feel of the actual scene of the crime because the reenactment was filmed at the Cayedito house.

dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #244
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

If the babysitter was relieved at midnight, that places Penny inside the house with her daughters for the three hours leading up to the "abduction". Her sister says 3 a.m., but it could have occurred any time after the babysitter left until the next morning when Penny asked neighbors if they saw Anthonette. What is odd to me is how Penny heard none of this alleged abduction. She didn't hear knocks, didn't her Anthonette struggling, etc. Wendy made no effort to get her mother after seeing her sister being abducted. That's a huge red flag. And she didn't tell the story for 5 years after the fact. Another huge red flag. Is a child's memory going to be that precise 5 years after the fact? Their house was small, so we also have to factor that in as to why Penny didn't hear the knocks and (possibly) Anthonette screaming/struggling. Penny also failed a polygraph and detectives wanted to talk to her on her deathbed. That's very telling. They have all of the information on this case (whereas we only have the UM segment and bits and pieces of information online), and they still considered her a POI in the case. It wouldn't surprise me (if Anthonette was abducted in the way her sister described) that Penny knew it was going to happen. Of course an accidental death is also a fairly good possibility.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #245
lindamichelle1
Frequent Poster

wow the house is tiny. kinda creepy seeing it and knowing the story.
what on earth was she doing with the children until 3am in the morning?
wouldnt they have been put to bed. or at least tired. i get they were probably waiting up with the babysitter for mum to get home, but why stay up 3 more hours
maybe something happened and she died, either by accident of her mother or one of the siblings and their first thought was just hide her and say she was abducted
How many children were there? just the 2?
lindamichelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #246
Shakou
Frequent Poster

Remember, it may not have been 3 am. When I was 5, I remember being awake a 9 or 10pm, thinking it was way later than it actually was.

Also.....this might sound racist, but it really isn't meant to be. I live in northern AZ, near the Navajo reservation, and know MANY many Navajo families, and have baby sat for a few. Most, while good people, more or less let their kids do whatever the hell they want. So, if they were indeed up running around at 3am unsupervised, I'm not surprised at all.
Shakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #247
atomicfizz
Forum Regular

This is one of the cases I remember so much about but I was so young when it was on that I just bought everything that was said in the segment. Now, reading these replies, it totally makes sense to me that it didn't go down the way it was told and that the mother probably in some way had something to do with it. Whether it was from knowing "bad people" to an accident to who knows what, I just think the story is pretty implausible as it was told.
atomicfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #248
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Off Promise
There's ZERO chance that the kidnapper knew that Anthonette would open the door. Kids are unpredictable. Even if he knocked on that door 99 times, and Anthonette opened it 99 times, I still wouldn't be on Anthonette opening the door on the 100th knock.
I think it's possible that someone acquainted with the family's habits could have had the expectation that one of the children would open the door. It's possible that Anthonette wasn't the specific target, just whatever daughter answered the door.

It sounds like the parents were known to patronize bars at late hours, as well as possibly being involved in drug culture. In such a circumstance, it wouldn't be uncommon for the kids to be left to fend for themselves for hours at a time, or even for one of the older children to take on a caretaker role - such as answering the door when the parents were out or were incapacitated due to drugs or alcohol.

I think it's possible that the mother had some involvement, but in this case it's just as much a possibility that someone connected to the family took advantage of the situation, and the mother was refraining from admitting certain aspects of that evening that wouldn't have made her look like the most responsible parent (leaving the kids unnattended, for example).
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #249
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
I think it's possible that the mother had some involvement, but in this case it's just as much a possibility that someone connected to the family took advantage of the situation, and the mother was refraining from admitting certain aspects of that evening that wouldn't have made her look like the most responsible parent (leaving the kids unattended, for example).
Well put. These are my feelings exactly.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #250
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfizz
This is one of the cases I remember so much about but I was so young when it was on that I just bought everything that was said in the segment. Now, reading these replies, it totally makes sense to me that it didn't go down the way it was told and that the mother probably in some way had something to do with it. Whether it was from knowing "bad people" to an accident to who knows what, I just think the story is pretty implausible as it was told.
It's troubling to think about. My personal opinion is that Penny probably knew more than she originally said. But she does seem pretty sincere in the interview, especially the part where she recounts listening to the phone call.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #251
saywhat
Frequent Poster

There are so many problems with the abduction story as it was presented that I find it VERY difficult to believe. I think that any of the scenarios described by Far Off Promise above could have happened. I think it's highly likely that "someone" knows more about this than they were letting on.

If my memory serves me correctly (I haven't read this thread in a long time), someone from this town posted on here about various things regarding the case. I believe that the person said there was a party going on into the wee hours at the house that night, and that the mother got a brand new truck soon thereafter. I should go back and read those posts but (if true) I remember thinking that they were interesting.
saywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #252
moving2
Occasional Poster

Default Wendy Cayedito

Hi All,

Long time lurker, HUGE unsolved fan since watching it as a kid. This is my first post. Anyway, this case always got me, too. I just searched the web and found this on Facebook from Wendy Cayedito (who now has a different last name via marriage). Thought you would find it interesting (note that "Missing Anthonette Cayedito" is a link to a page on Facebook):

"Wendy Lawson-Montoya: My oldest sister Missing Anthonette Cayedito is still missing til this day it's been 28 yrs and now my husband is missing. Lord plz protect them both and bring them home alive and safe
2 · 17 de Julio de 2013 a la(s) 18:01"

Since I can't post links officially (until I hit 5 posts), here's how I will post the link: es-es.facebook.com/ilovejesuschristpage/posts/10153032652180201

I'm not on Facebook, but I wonder if one of you thinks it appropriate to contact Wendy on Facebook to ask if she might be interested in coming onto the board to talk about the case. Based on her public Facebook post, I'd think she'd be OK talking about it.

Last edited by moving2; 03-16-2014 at 12:28 AM.
moving2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #253
dynoguy88

Her husband is now missing? Unreal.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #254
moving2
Occasional Poster

Default More Information...

Also found some interesting information regarding the police and Anthonette's mother Penny here:
hubpages.com/hub/missing-disappeared-unsolved-mysteries-anthonette-cayedito

"Police impressions

In April 1999, the police went to Penny’s deathbed hoping for one last interview. They were too late. Detective Esquibel believes Penny knew more about her daughter’s disappearance, citing a failed lie detector test as one reason for his suspicion (Kolb, 2010).

At that time in 1986, Penny often stayed out late, frequenting bars down the strip of highway 66. She had been out late, returning at midnight from the Talk of the Town Bar the morning of her daughter’s disappearance.

She relieved the baby sitter and permitted the children to stay up playing; this explains why Anthonette was awake to answer the door. According to a neighbor, it was not unusual to see visitors to the home at all hours of the night.

According to Deputy Chief of Police John Allen, an initial pool of suspects included two sex offenders but neither is thought to be involved in her disappearance (Kolb, 2010).

The police believe Anthonette was targeted for kidnapping by someone she knew and that she is now deceased."
Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #255
moving2
Occasional Poster

Default And it gets better...

The article referenced in the link in my last post has a lot more details. I'm also including the comments below the article because Wendy comments on it herself:
facebook.com/note.php?note_id=114554508586975

"Where is Anthonette?; Kidnapped from home 24 years ago, no sign
May 17, 2010 at 9:06am
By Joseph J. Kolb
The Gallup Herald

GALLUP — Most nine-year-olds enjoy a life of play, the love of parents, and safety in their own home. In 1986 Anthonette Cayedito had none of these and now her life has been relegated to a large cardboard box numbered 00006-86 filled with photos, interview documents, and dead-end clues on a remote shelf at Gallup Police Headquarters.

Sometime between the hours of 3 a.m.-7 a.m. on April 7, 1986, Anthonette was kidnapped from her home at 204 Arnold Street, Apartment #9, by two men who dragged her to a brown van parked in front of the house.

“We haven’t had anything on this case for almost 10 years since the mother died,” said Deputy Chief of Police John Allen. “We’ve had several detectives look at this case over the years but haven’t been able to come up with anything new.”

On the darker side of Anthonette’s life, she and her two sisters were frequently left alone with a babysitter by their mother Penny, who often frequented the bars along Highway 66. She had been out at the Talk of the Town Bar until after midnight the night her daughter was abducted.

There was also speculation that both Penny and Anthonette’s biological father, Larry Estrada, were involved with drugs.

“A neighbor said it wasn’t unusual for Penny to have people visit all hours of the night,” said Allen as he reviewed the yellowing reports.

During the early stages of the investigation, according to Allen, there was a group of suspects that included two known sex offenders, but none panned out as credible suspects.

Around midnight of the kidnapping, Penny returned home after leaving her three young daughters with a babysitter. She told investigators that she allowed the children to stay up and play until 3 a.m. Penny said Anthonette slept in her bed with her but wasn’t there when she went to wake the girls at 7 a.m. for Bible School. She never reported hearing the knock on the door that her daughter answered. It wasn’t until she woke up at 7 a.m., did Penny notice Anthonette missing.

She initially thought Anthonette had gone looking for a neighbor’s dog that had been missing.

After calling her repeatedly panic set in. She and the neighbors began scouring the nearby hills and around the housing complex to no avail.

The case went cold, despite a three day search, from the beginning.

A week after her daughter went missing Penny turned to a Navajo Medicine Woman who performed the Crystal Ceremony where she contacted the spirit of a missing person. She told Penny that Anthonette may be alive and have a child but is being threatened if she leaves. There was the startling revelation that Anthonette was taken by someone she knew.

The circumstances of the kidnapping didn’t actually surface until four years later when Cayedito’s younger sister, Wendy, who was five-years-old at the time, told Gallup Police Department Detective Marty Esquibel and FBI agent Kevin Miles that her sister answered a knock at the door by a man identifying herself as “Uncle Joe.” Wendy told Esquibel and Miles that she didn’t say anything because of how upset her mother, Penny, was. The “Uncle Joe” lead proved to be a dead-end.

Years after he left the police department Esquibel said he had his suspicions about what had happened.

“I’m pretty confident Penny had knowledge of who took Anthonette based on her failing a polygraph test administered by the FBI,” said Esquibel recently which coincides with the medicine woman’s spiritual hypothesis.

Despite the failed polygraph the District Attorney’s office never pursued any charges against Penny.

A significant break came seven months later when the Gallup Police dispatch received a call from a girl identifying herself as Anthonette as being in Albuquerque. After a brief exchange with the dispatcher a voice could be heard in the background then the girl screamed. Esquibel and Miles brought the tape to Penny who confirmed it was his daughter.

“I listened to that tape over and over and just got chills,” said Penny during a 1992 episode of the television show Unsolved Mysteries which profiled the case.

Just as abruptly as hope emerged, it disappeared for four years.

At a diner in Carson City, Nev., a young girl, around the age Anthonette would have been at the time, was eating with an unkempt man and woman. She repeatedly attempted to get the waitress’s attention. When the trio left and the waitress was cleaning the table she found a note pleading her for help and to call the police. By the time she found the note the trio was long gone.

Over the years there have been sporadic reports of someone fitting the description of Anthonette being seen from Canada to New York, to Texas.

There was little to no tangible evidence left at the scene. There were no DNA samples taken because the technology did not exist at the time. Samples were later taken from family members when technology caught up with the case but it was of no help.

While the case became a dark memory for Gallup and her classmates from Lincoln Elementary
School moved or started families of their own, the FBI went to question Penny on her deathbed in Tucson, Ariz., but arrived too late. She had died.

According to Special Agent Steve Marshall, spokesman, FBI’s Albuquerque Field Office, the case was closed in June 2006, after endless leads led to more endless leads.

“This case was very weird,” said Marshall who would not speculate on suspects or what happened to Anthonette.

The Gallup Police still consider the case open but as the years pass the white cardboard box is beginning to take on a beige appearance of age.

“I don’t know but at this point the statistics of such cases would lead us to believe she is dead,” said Allen. “But we just don’t know.”

Esquibel said Anthonette’s chances may have been better had their been the Amber Alert System in place.

“Back then we had to wait 24 hours before considering a child missing,” he said.
Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Anthonette Cayedito, who would now be 34-years-old, should call the Gallup Police Department at 505-863-9365.

Share1 Share
Nikki Chavez Mckee, Desiree Montaño and 6 others like this.

Wendy Lawson-Montoya THIS MAKES ME SICK!!!!
May 29, 2013 at 10:19pm · 1

Melinda Torres Unfreaking believable wtf. What dog? So what they aren't looking for her anymore?? Screw them we can find her ourselves
May 29, 2013 at 10:27pm · 1

Wendy Lawson-Montoya IT'S ALL GOOD!!! I GOT AN UPDATED PICTURE COMPOSITE FOR 2013... SO WE CAN REPOST HER PICTURE OUT IN THE WORLD AGAIN...
May 29, 2013 at 10:34pm · 1

Monica Sedillo Good job cuz I'm just disgusted how they just talked trash bout ur mom n dad their gone leave them alone now you know...
May 30, 2013 at 8:09am · 1

Wendy Lawson-Montoya RIGHT!!
May 30, 2013 at 8:16am"