Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD/Streaming News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Default The List You Never Want Your Favorite Show To Be On...

This is a list of Canceled or Abandoned series on DVD. Hopefully, one day all of these shows get removed from this list. But for now, here it is.

Help me out, I don't know all of them. I'll just put the ones I know.

Not all of these are definite. Some are ones I'm guessing they're abandoned because it's been a while since their last release.

American Dreams (Season 1) - Out of, like three or something seasons. I'm surprised by this. I thought it was a successful show.

The Apprentice (Season 1) - Only a few reality shows, to me, can sell well on DVD. This isn't one of them. I'm not surprised by this at all.

Barney Miller (Season 1) - Out of Eight Seasons. I guess the 13 episode season one set didn't sell enough for Sony. Nothing official has been stated, but for now it's "Abandoned".

Barretta (Season 1) - They released season one during all that controversy around it's star (Robert Blake). I think it's a good show, but I don't think the rest of the series will ever be released.

The Bernie Mac Show (Season 1) Out of, I don't know Five seasons? No official word that I know of, but it has been a while and no news. So that can't be good.

Boy Meets World (Seasons 1, 2, 3) - Out of Seven seasons, the company announced sales went down each season. So they will not be releasing any more.

Clarissa Explains It All (Season 1) - I'm not sure about this one. They announced season two and then took it back. I don't know what their plans are for this show.

Dragnet (Season 1) - Out of, I think Four. The first season was a half-season and, though it's not been too long, I believe some others that came out when it did have had other seasons released, but no Dragnet.

Everwood (Season 1) Out of ... I don't know, Four maybe. First this show is canceled and then the DVDs are abandoned as stated by Warner Bros.

Fame (Season 1) - I don't think there's an official word on the statuts of this series. Hopefully the rest of the series comes out and the title is removed from my list.

Happy Days (Season 1) - Out of Eleven. This is one that apparently, Paramount hasn't officially abandoned. But it's been a couple years and with the music rights problem, they've at least stalled production of the other seasons.

The Jamie Foxx Show (Season 1) - Out of, I'm not sure. This one was listed with some others as shows Warner Bros. is abandoning.

The Jeff Foxworthy Show (Season 1) - Out of Two seasons. They never officially announced that it was abandoned, but I'm sure season two would have come out by now. It's been a couple years since season one, I believe.

Just Shoot Me! - (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of Seven seasons (I believe). They released the first two seasons on June 8th of 2004. And there's no word on any other seasons coming out.

The Larry Sanders Show (Season 1) - Out of ... I don't know. This is one of the early Sony releases and I guess it didn't sell enough.

Laverne & Shirley (Season 1) - Out of Eight or so seasons. It's in the same boat as Happy Days.

Lizzie McGuire (Volume 1) - This was the first 24 episodes of the series, I believe. Although I don't like this show, it might be a bad sign for future releases of other Disney shows. They'll think no one wants to buy season sets of their shows.

Mad About You (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of Six or Seven seasons. Sony eventually released a collection of episodes. I'm assuming that didn't sell well enough, because no word on season three.

Malcolm in the Middle (Season 1) Out of Seven seasons. They say it's music rights holding up the next release. But it's been a couple years and no word on the next season. I'd say it's abandoned.

Mork & Mindy (Season 1) Out of Four seasons. It's in the same boat as Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. Three classic sitcoms without a place to go.

Murphy Brown (Season 1) - Out of Ten seasons. This is the case of a Warner Bros. title that's not "Friends" so it's getting treated badly.

My Favorite Martian (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of Three seasons. Rhino announced it and then replaced it with a Best Of. They've said season three will be out but until we have a date, I'm keeping it on this list.

Ned & Stacey (Season 1) - Out of Two seasons. Sony didn't officially abandon this series, but it will almost be a year since the first season was released. Maybe they're waiting for Spider-Man 3 next year (it has Thomas Haden Church in it).

Night Court (Season 1) - Out of Nine seasons. Warner Bros. has had trouble selling this show. First the low sales of season one and then, I'm assuming the low sales of the Best Of DVD. Because WB has officially stated they are abandoning the series.

The Partridge Family (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of Four. While nothing has been officially stated, it's been a while since the second season came out. I won't be surprised if season three comes out soon, and I'll be happy to remove it from this list when the time comes.

Quincy, M.E. (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of, I don't know. It's been a while since the first set was released. So I can only assume it's been abandoned.

Resurrection Blvd. (Season 1) - I've never heard of this show, but Vashti mentioned it to me. So I put it on the list.

S.W.A.T. (Season 1) - It has been a while since the first season was released.

Sliders (Seasons 1, 2, 3) - Out of Five seasons. There is no word on the status of this series. They've been coming out a year apart. But so far no mention of the fourth season. Hopefully, there will be some news on this and I can remove it from the list.

Son of a Beach (Episodes 1-21) - Out of 43, I believe. All they would have to do is release a second volume and the series will be complete. But its been a couple years, so I doubt it will happen.

Soul Food (Season 1) - This is another show Vashti mentioned. I've never seen it, but I do remember hearing about the DVD a while back.

Sweet Valley High (Season 1) - This is a show I'm surprised came out at all. I don't know what went wrong, but I doubt a next season will be released.

Taxi - (Seasons 1, 2, 3) - Out of Five seasons. Paramount announced seasons 4 and 5 would come out by the end of last year. They didn't. We're in the middle of this year and no word on their release. While it's possible the show hasn't been abandoned, for now, I'm including it in this list.

Too Close for Comfort (Seasons 1, 2) - Out of like six or seven seasons. This is a show I became a fan of through the DVDs. Rhino announced season three for last year, but nothing ever came of it.

227 (Season 1) Out of, again, I don't know. I never should have started that "Out of however many Seasons" lol. It's been a year or so. This seems like another Sony title that's gotten the shaft.

The Wayans Bros. (Season 1) - Out of Five seasons, maybe. Not a big surprise to me, though. It would still be nice for the fans if the series would continue.

Who's the Boss? (Season 1) - Out of Eight seasons. This was also released on June 8, 2004. Unlike JSM, Sony has stated they are abandoning this series due to low sales. It's a shame.

Don't feel too bad. Look at The Jeffersons and Mary Tyler Moore. Both of those shows were abandoned at some point. And they both bounced back and are in their 4th season releases now.

Last edited by Adamantium; 07-09-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

As I'm looking through this list, I see classic after classic, with only a few clunkers. How can these shows not be selling well? It's boggles the mind.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
TJL
Suburbanite Extrordinaire
Forum Veteran

I'm pissed that "Larry Sanders" never made it past the first season. It was a great show. I guess I was the only one who bought a copy of season 1.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I wonder if they waited until now to release season one of Larry Sanders, if the sales would be higher. I've never seen the show before, but some of the writers went onto to do NewsRadio, which is my all-time favorite show.

Alot of these DVDs I wonder if it's all about the timing of the releases.

Most of those listed were in my collection at some point. Some of them still are and others I've given away (to my sister).

I didn't realize how hard it was going to be when I started collecting TV shows on DVD. It's really become a bumpy ride and I'm not sure if I have what it takes. I have pretty much stopped watching regular TV. Instead I'm always watching a DVD. And so it's really painful when a show that I like is abandoned.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Look at the Jeffersons and MTM, there still may be a chance. Happy Days is really the only one on the list I want to continue. I still need to pick up My Favorite Martian though

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
gilligan fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan fanatic
Look at the Jeffersons and MTM, there still may be a chance. Happy Days is really the only one on the list I want to continue. I still need to pick up My Favorite Martian though
I agree. A lot of these shows may still have a chance. I still wanted to compile a list. Hoping that I'll eventually remove all those shows from this list one day.

Sony was the worst at this. Even though they still have the most abandoned series on my list, I'd say Warner Bros. is catching up. Think about all those "Television Favorites" that prevented season sets to be released. I'd much prefer my favorite shows to be done by Image or Anchor Bay, a company that releases all of the seasons.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
I agree. A lot of these shows may still have a chance. I still wanted to compile a list. Hoping that I'll eventually remove all those shows from this list one day.

Sony was the worst at this. Even though they still have the most abandoned series on my list, I'd say Warner Bros. is catching up. Think about all those "Television Favorites" that prevented season sets to be released. I'd much prefer my favorite shows to be done by Image or Anchor Bay, a company that releases all of the seasons.
yeah, I just picked up the complete Combat the other day. Image is expensive, but they do a great job on the DVD's.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Off the top of my head, there's a couple of cable dramas that have been abandoned: Soul Food and Resurrection Blvd. both had season 1 releases years ago. The Apprentice is also stuck on one season release. 227 could probably go on that list as well.

Looking at my own collection; American Dreams, Bernie Mac, Fame, S.W.A.T., Sweet Valley High...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
yeah, I just picked up the complete Combat the other day. Image is expensive, but they do a great job on the DVD's.
I'm one of the few fans of "Saved by the Bell: The New Class." And Image released the whole series on DVD. I know it couldn't be a high seller. But they stuck with it and released every season all within a year. That's why I love Image so much. They plan it out ahead of time and then ... here's the good part... They Actually Release the Seasons According to their Schedules! Plus they did a great job with "The Twilight Zone" releases.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

you had Clarria on your list but Paramount only made it to season two for Pete and Pete.

Hanna-Barbara is doing a good job finishing series. I mean a lot only had one season like Wacky Races, but they just finished the Flinstones. I think HB is with Warner Brothers
Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashti1999
Off the top of my head, there's a couple of cable dramas that have been abandoned: Soul Food and Resurrection Blvd. both had season 1 releases years ago. The Apprentice is also stuck on one season release. 227 could probably go on that list as well.

Looking at my own collection; American Dreams, Bernie Mac, Fame, S.W.A.T., Sweet Valley High...
I'll add those to my list. I was pretty much just looking at my collection and whatever ones I could remember.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
you had Clarria on your list but Paramount only made it to season two for Pete and Pete.
Yeah I thought about that one. But season two of Pete & Pete and Clarissa were supposed to come out at the same time. However, only Pete & Pete did. Though there is some delay on Pete & Pete, I don't think it's been abandoned.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashti1999
I was just looking at that list. Not "Fame"! I know how much you love that show. Have you actually gotten word from them or is it like most of the shows on my list, just a hunch because it's been a while?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Betty White Fan
Forum Regular

The thing that pisses me off the most is that Warner released six different shows on February 8th, 2005 (I think) and they expected them all to sell very good. If they would have released them like this ...

February: Fresh Prince and Full House
March: Night Court and Wayans Bros.
April: Jamie Foxx and Murphy Brown

maybe they would have sold better.

P.S. I don't think Fame was cancelled. It came around the same time as Green Acres and I think MGM just waits a year between releases.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
I was just looking at that list. Not "Fame"! I know how much you love that show. Have you actually gotten word from them or is it like most of the shows on my list, just a hunch because it's been a while?
No word, just my hunch. I'm hoping to still hear news of a season 2 release. The first season was released last November, so it hasn't even been a year yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.
vashti1999 is offline   Reply With Quote