Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #31
dynoguy88

Default reply

Unfortunately, the locations of the murders made them pretty easy to get away with which makes me think they were not too brazen.

These crimes took place out in the wilderness, in the middle of nowhere on a bitterly cold night where temperatures reached zero degrees. The chances of any witnesses coming by were slim to none. Nobody would hear the gun shots. Heck, you could have fired a dozen cannons off at the same time and nobody would have heard a thing.

I guess that's another thing that always creeped me out about this case. That helpless feeling both women must have felt. There's nobody within miles to hear their screams for help and there was no place for them to hide. Bobbie tried to escape with hopes of hiding in the trees about 200 yards from the scenic overlook. But even if she had made it to the trees, she still would have had to run through deep snow banks once she got off the road. Have you ever tried sprinting through deep snow? You're not going to outrun a bullet.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #32
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

Default reply

dynoguy88-you bring up some good points here. From the feeling I get about the whole case even though Annette was killed first, her body was found last. 6 months after the murders. This leads me to believe from the location that it was found, that the killer(s) had more time with her and found a secluded spot,because they didn't want her body to be found! That is why it was in such a secluded spot, off the beaten trail. With Bobbie, it was different, they were in a hurry to leave the area, so they just shot her and left her where she lay. They didn't care if/where HER body was found. And they got rid of the back packs that the women were wearing in totally different locations, they just dumped them off and ran. I think they seperated the womens' bodies from the backpacks to throw the cops off the trail. This case has always bothered me for years. I hope one day that it is solved!
lilmissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #33
Mastermind

This crime has to be serial in nature. Unless he's in jail or dead, I find i hard to believe that this guy only committed this act twice.

1.One thing that has occured to me is the possibility that this killer is more a rapist than a murderer. It could be only a coincidence that he killed both women because they resisted his advances.

2. This guy has to be somewhat local to the area if he knows that hitchiking was a common practice around those parts. Though I think this incident happened around the tail end of the "hitchiking is safe!" period of Americana.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
mattc
Forum Regular

I also think that this was a serial type of killing. It has all the signs of a sadistic, psychopathic type of slaying. In fact, I looked up Ted Bundy to see what date he was arrested, b/c I remember that he killed someone in Colorado, and wondered if he was in the area at the time; turns out he was arrested a few years before the orange sock murders.

I also agree that this was one of the scariest segments ever featured, especially because the feeling of horror was so dramatic and intense; I can't even imagine how horrible and debilitating Bobbie Jo and Annette must have felt. Really sad case.

I am really surprised that this case has not been solved, honestly, because with the DNA evidence, and the fact that this person most likely has killed before/after (or at least committed other crimes), it would seem that a match would have turned up by now. Perhaps the killer is dead. One last thing, the whole idea that the killer drove bobby in the direction of her house, it doesn't necessarily mean she knew him, as she would have told him where she lived immediately after getting in the car... he might have been heading in that direction to no arose suspicion.

I was just thinking, it seems possible that he drove her past her own house before committing the murders, which I find very very creepy.. talk about feeling completely helpless.

I really hope this case is solved, b/c that bastard(s) needs to be off the streets.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #35
Mastermind

Regarding the crime of rape:

1. There are a lot of police departments that don't treat rape the same way as other departments. Some police departments don;t even put rape on their statistics for the year!. It's not a given that a rape case in that area is treated with as strongly as a case.

2. Many rapes are never reported. Victims embarassed, afraid, scared, etc..

The point I'm making is their could be a serial rapist at work without anyone knowing.

Somewhere out there is another crime that can be linked to these two.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #36
dynoguy88

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
I also think that this was a serial type of killing. It has all the signs of a sadistic, psychopathic type of slaying. In fact, I looked up Ted Bundy to see what date he was arrested, b/c I remember that he killed someone in Colorado, and wondered if he was in the area at the time; turns out he was arrested a few years before the orange sock murders.
The woman Ted Bundy killed in Colorado was named Caryn Campbell. She was from my city of Dearborn, MI. My parents even went to her funeral. My family has known Caryn's family for over 40 years. She was vacationing in Colorado with her fiance and his two children at the time. The four of them left their hotel room and went downstairs to the swimming pool. As soon as they reached the swimming pool, Caryn realized she forgot her magazine in their room. So she left to get it and she never returned. The next day, her body was found just off the road about 2 miles from the hotel.

It was case of extremely bad timing. Some time between leaving the pool and getting upstairs to the hotel room, she met up with Ted Bundy. Bundy's usual act was to fake having a broken leg while hobbling along on crutches and trying to carry a set of books or a few bags. Any time he saw a young woman alone anywhere near him, he would deliberately drop his things so the woman would pick them up and while feeling sorry for him, help him carry his things out to his van. Once they reached the van, he would knock the woman out (usually with a crowbar), throw her inside the van, drive away and then rape and kill her. That's what ended up happening with Caryn.

This happened in 1975 which was 7 years before Bobbie Oberholzter and Annette Schnee were murdered outside Breckenridge. Like you said, Bundy was already in prison by then. But even so, the orange sock killings never seemed like the work of someone as demented as Ted Bundy. They took place out in the middle of nowhere. Whoever killed these women knew the perfect place to strike and had knowledge of all the country roads where he wouldn't be found. That's why I always thought the killer might have been a local guy and not just some psycho driving through the area.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #37
leafygreens
weird-o
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Any time he saw a young woman alone anywhere near him, he would deliberately drop his things so the woman would pick them up and while feeling sorry for him, help him carry his things out to his van. Once they reached the van, he would knock the woman out (usually with a crowbar), throw her inside the van, drive away and then rape and kill her. That's what ended up happening with Caryn.
Visions of Silence of the Lambs! I know it was based off of Ted Bundy but it's just creepy to see it on screen, what ended up happening to these women.
leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #38
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

So, really no one suspects the husband, in the least?
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #39
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
I never have suspected Jeff Oberholtzer. There wasn't any motive presented. Plus, Annette was murdered first - making it more unlikely, IMO.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #40
WishfulDreamer

Wasn't the husband exonerated by way of DNA evidence? I never thought he was guilty, from the beginning. I found him to be quite sincere and when he spoke about his wife. He seemed like a good guy.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #41
WishfulDreamer

Sorry for the doublepost. ^

Last edited by WishfulDreamer; 04-10-2010 at 07:03 PM.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #42
Mastermind

Quote:
The cops had only one lead/piece of evidence. Which was that Jeff Oberholtzer knew both women and had his card in Annette Schnee's car.

IMHO, this was enough to list jeff as being a suspect in the murders. But far from enough to arrest him.

The DNA did not match Jeff Oberholtzer.

If you list the evidence in you yellow pad, you have 1 plus and 1 negative check mark on Jeff Oberholtzer. They both negate each other.

Unless new evidence comes to light against Jeff...I see no reason why he should be pursued anymore than another suspect?

Quote:
There wasn't any motive presented.
Considering this is a potential serial killing..lack of motive isn;t an issue here. Psychosis requires no motive
Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #43
dynoguy88

Default reply

Jeff Oberholzter was considered the main suspect for about a decade but was finally ruled out when his DNA didn't match the blood found on Bobbie's mitten. He also put himself in a better light with police during the time frame that Annette was missing when he saw her picture in the newspaper and came forward and told them that he had picked Annette up once while she was hitchhiking and had given her his business card. That would have been hard for him to explain once Annette's body was found with his business card in her backpack had he continued pleading ignorance.

"Monster" by Steve Jackson points out many details about this case that seem to rule Jeff out as a suspect as well. The day of Bobbie's death actually started out wonderfully for her when she arrived at work that morning and found out she was getting a substantial pay raise. After work, she called Jeff at around 6:00 p.m. and told him she was going to the village pub with two of her co-workers to celebrate. Those two friends would drive her home afterwards. An hour and half later, it was clear that Bobbie's friends wanted to make a night out of this while Bobbie just wanted to go home. So she told her friends that she would hitchhike home. She left the bar around 7:30 p.m.

Annette, on the other hand, had vanished hours earlier. She was last seen in Breckenridge at 4:30 p.m. at a pharmacy in the company of a mysterious dark haired woman. She bought one pack of cigarettes and a prescription because she had not been feeling well that day. Both women left the pharmacy together making small talk. Annette set off to hitchhike home. She had to get home to change into her work clothes because she worked at a bar in the evenings. She never made it home and her uniform was neatly laid out on her bed when police later investigated.

Finally, Jeff has an alibi for that evening. Unsolved Mysteries brought it up but the book goes into more detail. Shortly before 7:00 p.m., a friend of Jeff's named Joe Urban stopped by for a visit. The two men then went to a nearby gas station and got a can of gas for Joe’s truck. From there, they went to a liquor store and bought a six pack of beer. (Receipts and workers at the two locations confirmed seeing them.) After leaving the liquor store, the two men returned to Jeff’s house where they drank beer and watched television for an hour. Joe then left at 8:00 p.m.

If you combine these 3 angles together in a timeline, it would have been impossible for Jeff to commit these murders. If Jeff was involved, he would have had to have abducted Annette in Breckenridge some time after 4:30, driven back over Hoosier Pass to the area around Sacramento Creek and killed her. Somewhere during that time, he would have forced her to undress, raped her, and then let her dress again. All by 6:00, when he was home to receive his wife’s telephone call.

After that, he would have had to calmly shovel snow until Joe Urban arrived shortly before 7:00, gone to the gas station, a liquor store and back home to drink beer and watch TV until 8:00. Then, only after his friend left, could he have driven to Breckenridge, located his wife in the darkness, driven her to the Hoosier Pass summit and finally murdered her. It all seems very unlikely.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #44
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

I wasn't necessarily saying he was guilty, but I find it surprising no one is still accusing him.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #45
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

I wasn't necessarily saying he was guilty, but I find it surprising no one is still accusing him
he was cleared for reasons i dont know about, but i didn't suspect him much anyway. I think it's someone who they hitched rides with, thought they could trust, couldn't.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote