Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD/Streaming News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
66WASTOPS
Occasional Poster

Default LASSIE WILL IT EVER GET PROPER DVD TREATMENT?

Hi this post concerns the old long running Lassie series.My favorite version of Lassie has always been the early eps.w Jeff[Tommy Rettig]as Lassie's owner and the early Timmy shows w/Cloris Leachman as his mom.A few years back,Classic Media put out a set of Lassie shows on dvd,but imo did a very shabby job.Instead of releasing full season sets,they put out an assortment of dvds based on themes-birthday parties,etc.1 dvd feat.2 Jeff eps.then jumped 20 years ahead to a color show with some other kid!They did a Best of Jeff's Collie set and did 3 eps.-the pilot,Lassie's Pups-a 1st season show then jumped ahead 3 years to the final eps.w Jeff when he gives Lassie to Timmy!3 years ago they did a 50th anniv.set,but it too was a mixture of various versions of the series.Why can't they just do season sets starting w/the 1st season w/Jeff and go all the way thru the series.Of course the later forest ranger versions probably wouldn't sell well,but I do think Lassie deserves to have season sets.It's too bad so many companies that own the rights to tv series don't release them properly.
66WASTOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Maybe it will depend on the sales of the dvd's they've released. They may feel not enough has been sold to justify season set releases. I'd love to see the show from the beginning. Timmy and Lassie with June Lockhart was my favorite version.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
jimmo
Frequent Poster

Default "Lassie" with "Jeff" & "Timmy" are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
Maybe it will depend on the sales of the dvd's they've released. They may feel not enough has been sold to justify season set releases. I'd love to see the show from the beginning. Timmy and Lassie with June Lockhart was my favorite version.

And the episodes of "Lassie" with June Lockhart, Hugh Reilly, Jon Provost as "Timmy," and, of course, "Lassie," were also the favorites of most other fans of the series, too (at least according to the Nielsen ratings, which verifies the "Timmy" years of "Lassie" with Lockhart as the most-watched in prime time). So you are in good company.

I first watched the "Timmy" episodes of "Lassie" when I was a small boy about the age of "Timmy." I am old enough I watched about half of them in first-run on CBS Sunday evenings, as well the network run on Saturday mornings. But in later years I watched the syndicated episodes with Tommy Rettig as "Jeff," Jan Clayton, George Cleveland as "Gramps," and of course, "Lassie." And I grew to love the "Miller" farm episodes of "Lassie" as much as the "Martin" farm ones.

The later episodes of "Lassie" with forest ranger "Corey Stuart," and the younger rangers, the season of "Lassie" with no human interaction, as well the "Holden" ranch episodes, are not as popular as those earlier episodes on that farm near "Calverton."

At this point I think the first ten years of "Lassie" (with "Jeff" or "Timmy") are as much a slice of Americana as "Huck Finn" and "Tom Sawyer."
jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Regulus

Looking for Lassie? Go to the "Trading Post" and look up Y2K3 Joker's "Joker's Lassie Project". He has All 19 seasons for sale minus two episodes from Season 15. Excellent Quality Videos (They were recorded off a Canadian TV Station, and anyone worth their salt knows these are the finest quality available for disks of these kind). I Probably mentioned this a number of times but every time I watched syndicated copies I never saw the episodes where Lassie changed owners because they split the show up into 3 shows (Seasons 1-3 "Jeff's Collie", Seasons 5-9 "Timmy and Lassie" Seasons 12-19 "Lassie"). It wasn't until I purchased these sets from Y2K3 Joker was I able to see the "Lost Episodes" of Seasons" of 4, 9, 10 & 11 and put all the pieces together!

There are those who say this show "Jumped the Shark" when the dawg went to the Rangers, but IMO this show rocked all the way to the end.

I agree with you jimmo, this show is a piece of Americana!

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood

Last edited by Regulus; 08-30-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote