Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Comedy Starts Strong; Alexa & Katie Returns in June for Final Episodes
Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #181
80s Dude
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I don't feel that way, because if so, why give Sue Ann, Nancy, and Cindy lines with Jo? I suspect the producers just expected the Lost Girls to be professional children around the Core Four: say your lines and take the check.

It seems as though the producers had plans to bring Molly back, after TNG2, but we know she decided not to go back, because she felt humiliated, being demoted to semi-regular. Julie Pie seems to have had the opposite feeling, but maybe she didn't feel that way at the time.

During the Paley Festival, the Core Four were asked if it was awkward to work with the Lost Girls after the Cast Purge, and Lisa and Nancy said no. Lisa pointed out that she had already worked with Julie Pie on the NMMC, and Nancy said, "Maybe we're not the people to be asking." Which was a good point.

The producers weren't very mindful of peoples' feelings, IMO, based on the perceptions relayed by Geri, Felice, Molly, and Kelly, albeit many years after the "fact".
Perhaps because the other lost girls were older, they handled the demotion/firings better than what Molly did. Molly clearly was not a happy camper in that last episode. Her icy stares in Jo's direction when waiting in line with Margo, the lip biting, the eye rolls after she tells Margo to stop harassing Jo.

When watching the original episode (I was almost 16 then), I noticed a change in Molly going from being such a happy child in season 1 to a moody one in this episode. It was only many years later did I find out how she really felt about being on this episode (her worse job ever).

I also wondered why the producers didn't team Molly up with at least one of the other lost girls for moral support. They would have gone through the same feelings Molly did, but handled it better. Instead they isolated a 12 year old child from the group she used to be in and I imagine that the actress playing Margo was basically a complete stranger too (and she was 19 years old at the time). Thought that was quite cruel.
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #182
Sitcommania
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2018
Location: New york
Posts: 140
Default

Molly Ringwald has also mentioned that she was supposed to be the fourth girl, until the network requested a brand new character, so there’s another layer. I wonder how they would have been separated from the other girls, though, without Jo’s influence.
Sitcommania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #183
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcommania View Post
Molly Ringwald has also mentioned that she was supposed to be the fourth girl, until the network requested a brand new character, so there’s another layer. I wonder how they would have been separated from the other girls, though, without Jo’s influence.
Molly's mentioned this, but "Dope" (S1E13) strongly indicates Julie Pie would have been kept on, while one documentary says Julie Anne was the last to be expelled. There's even a newspaper article from July 1980 that says Felice was being kept on.

By August 1980, they knew Molly, Felice, Julie Pie, and Julie Anne would be gone; we know this because there were already news stories reporting that only Mindy, Kim, and Lisa had made the cut.

Without Jo, there would have been no punishment, because the whole new-girl-steals-van plot was totally ripped off from the then-recent film Little Darlings. In the film, a spoiled rich girl and a poor street hoodlum girl meet at summer camp, clash, dare each other to do dangerous things, and eventually hotwire the camp van. Brandon Tartikoff loved the film, and wanted to see that plot incorporated into FOL. He even named the character "Foxy".
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #184
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
Perhaps because the other lost girls were older, they handled the demotion/firings better than what Molly did. Molly clearly was not a happy camper in that last episode. Her icy stares in Jo's direction when waiting in line with Margo, the lip biting, the eye rolls after she tells Margo to stop harassing Jo.

When watching the original episode (I was almost 16 then), I noticed a change in Molly going from being such a happy child in season 1 to a moody one in this episode.
Do you really feel as though Molly's mood carried into her performance, here? I do not. I feel as though Molly wasn't given much to do, here, other than go through the line, speak briefly with her friends, and then eat with Margo.

Quote:
It was only many years later did I find out how she really felt about being on this episode (her worse job ever).
Yeah, I know she felt terrible about doing this episode. Maybe, as you say, being with another Lost Girl would have made it easier. Then again, maybe Molly's despair would have carried over onto another Lost Girl, causing them both to refuse to do more episodes. Which would have sucked, IMO. I love those touches of continuity, where we see other girls at Eastland.

Quote:
I also wondered why the producers didn't team Molly up with at least one of the other lost girls for moral support. They would have gone through the same feelings Molly did, but handled it better. Instead they isolated a 12 year old child from the group she used to be in and I imagine that the actress playing Margo was basically a complete stranger too (and she was 19 years old at the time). Thought that was quite cruel.
I think the producers believed they were throwing Molly a bone by having her in the episode at all. They certainly weren't perceptive or empathetic folks, later going on to bring in scales to the set, in order to weigh the Core Four.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #185
Lorimar Television
Member
Senior Member
 
Lorimar Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 06, 2007
Posts: 5,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Molly's mentioned this, but "Dope" (S1E13) strongly indicates Julie Pie would have been kept on, while one documentary says Julie Anne was the last to be expelled. There's even a newspaper article from July 1980 that says Felice was being kept on.
Really? I never heard this!
__________________
Some of my favorite theme songs:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-e...89CsiJpV_irnNw
Lorimar Television is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #186
Sitcommania
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2018
Location: New york
Posts: 140
Default

She mentions it on Andy Cohen and the Entertainment Weekly interview.
Sitcommania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #187
80s Dude
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Do you really feel as though Molly's mood carried into her performance, here? I do not. I feel as though Molly wasn't given much to do, here, other than go through the line, speak briefly with her friends, and then eat with Margo.



Yeah, I know she felt terrible about doing this episode. Maybe, as you say, being with another Lost Girl would have made it easier. Then again, maybe Molly's despair would have carried over onto another Lost Girl, causing them both to refuse to do more episodes. Which would have sucked, IMO. I love those touches of continuity, where we see other girls at Eastland.



I think the producers believed they were throwing Molly a bone by having her in the episode at all. They certainly weren't perceptive or empathetic folks, later going on to bring in scales to the set, in order to weigh the Core Four.
When I first saw this episode when it originally aired and I was 15, I thought Molly must have gotten up at the wrong side of the bed and was not happy. I only found out what happened behind the scenes 2 decades later. Looking back, you would notice that Molly is giving icy stares in Jo's direction and she is biting her lips a lot as she was entering the cafeteria with Margo.

So after I saw that I decided consulting the Molly Parker book on body language (who became a body language expert in season 1), This is what they had to say about lip biting, "According to body language expert Molly Parker, biting and chewing on the lip often indicates fear and anxiety. It can mean that the person is uncomfortable in the situation, worried or insecure about something."

And then after Molly gives her last ever FOL line to Margo, she turns her head away from the camera and gave one of those classic Molly Ringwald eye rolls. Molly was such a happy child in season 1, there is not even a hint of happiness in this episode.
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #188
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Really? I never heard this!
Yes, it's in the Articles and Photos thread.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #189
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcommania View Post
She mentions it on Andy Cohen and the Entertainment Weekly interview.
Yes, we LOVE those interviews; as far as I know they are Molly's first talking about FOL since 1986, when she did the infamous "worst job ever" interview.

But the other pieces of info we have, in documentaries and newspaper articles, don't really support Molly's contention. Still, it wouldn't be unknown for producers to be less than forthcoming with information to the acting talent; we know some other girls on this show felt "disappointed" about so many "promises" that had been made, which didn't come true. Felice and Pamela Adlon have both spoken about this.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #190
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
When I first saw this episode when it originally aired and I was 15, I thought Molly must have gotten up at the wrong side of the bed and was not happy. I only found out what happened behind the scenes 2 decades later. Looking back, you would notice that Molly is giving icy stares in Jo's direction and she is biting her lips a lot as she was entering the cafeteria with Margo.

So after I saw that I decided consulting the Molly Parker book on body language (who became a body language expert in season 1), This is what they had to say about lip biting, "According to body language expert Molly Parker, biting and chewing on the lip often indicates fear and anxiety. It can mean that the person is uncomfortable in the situation, worried or insecure about something."


Quote:
And then after Molly gives her last ever FOL line to Margo, she turns her head away from the camera and gave one of those classic Molly Ringwald eye rolls. Molly was such a happy child in season 1, there is not even a hint of happiness in this episode.
I do not see signs of unhappiness, here, but it's true that she was exceedingly unhappy with her new role.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #191
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,349
Default

As far as we know, there was never any "not getting along" or "disputes" between Molly and Mindy. And Molly never said the words Mindy was "a mean girl". She just had to give an answer to "Who was the mean girl on the set?", and she obviously was desperately trying to come up with SOME sort of answer to answer the question for the sake of being asked it, and she answered in a way that was obvious that she was just saying Mindy just to say someone, because that's the closest she could get. I liked that. She didn't just go, "Oh, Mindy!" She had to REACH for an answer, and then she couldn't even say anything bad about Mindy. All she could say she was she was "intimidated" by her. That's it. Just intimidated.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #192
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,349
Default

I also don't see any "icy stares". And as far as Margo, I see it as Molly Parker being uncomfortable with Margo continuing to instigate stuff.

I can though see the theory of Molly Ringwald's performance being hampered by her humiliation and bitterness, but not to the point of it overwpowering her. "Just enough", lol.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:02 AM   #193
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

I would like to see the Molly/Mindy thing covered in the Reelz FOL Documentary. While I'm glad they got together as adults, and Molly could now see that Mindy was a nice person, it did seem as though Molly thought Mindy was perhaps mean, based on her response. Then again, maybe she was just intimidated by the girl hand-picked by Charlotte to appear on the show: the one who wasn't even in the backdoor pilot, who wasn't even a theater-trained actress or a professional child, and yet still made the cut during the Cast Purge. We all know Molly did not take being Margo's sidekick well... then again, who would? Margo was downright cruel.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:02 AM   #194
80s Dude
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
As far as we know, there was never any "not getting along" or "disputes" between Molly and Mindy. And Molly never said the words Mindy was "a mean girl". She just had to give an answer to "Who was the mean girl on the set?", and she obviously was desperately trying to come up with SOME sort of answer to answer the question for the sake of being asked it, and she answered in a way that was obvious that she was just saying Mindy just to say someone, because that's the closest she could get. I liked that. She didn't just go, "Oh, Mindy!" She had to REACH for an answer, and then she couldn't even say anything bad about Mindy. All she could say she was she was "intimidated" by her. That's it. Just intimidated.
I wonder why Molly's lines with Natalie/Mindy were never shown in the final edit?
80s Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:03 AM   #195
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,983
Default

OMG, 80s Dude, we posted at the same time!
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
facts of life, scripts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.