Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Peacock Bulks Up on New Comedies; New Saved by the Bell Trailer Released
Hulu Announces Upcoming Slate for 2020; AMC Gets Real for Animated Drama
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 10, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Who's the Boss? in Line for a Reboot; Love, Victor Renewed for Season Two
Keke Palmer Joins The Proud Family Revival; Amazon to Remake Penny Marshall's A League of Their Own
Tacoma FD Gets Season 3; Stars Come Aboard HBO Pandemic Comedy Event
Quibi Sets Whodunnit Comedy; CW Drops Sketch Comedy After One Airing

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July/August)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season
07/21 - The Unicorn - Season One
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Music Lady Antebellum Announces Official Name Change to "Lady A" over Slavery Association

Lady Antebellum Officially Changes Name to Lady A: "Our Hearts have been Stirred with Conviction"
by Christian Holub
June 12, 2020

As protests for racial justice continue to sprout up across the United States in the wake of George Floyd's killing by Minnesota police, Americans everywhere are reckoning with their own relationships to racism and history.

The latest do so are the members of the country band Lady Antebellum (Hillary Scott, Charles Kelley, and Dave Haywood), who announced on Thursday that they will officially be renaming themselves "Lady A" in order to disassociate themselves from the history of slavery.

In their new statement, the members of Lady Antebellum write that the term "reminded us of all the music born in the South that influenced us...Southern rock, blues, R&B, gospel, and of course, country."

"Causing pain was never our hearts' intention, but it doesn't change the fact that indeed, it did just that. So today, we speak up and make a change. We hope you will dig in and join us."

It shouldn't be too difficult of a change for the band's fans to wrap their heads around; as they write near the beginning of the statement, fans have long been using the nickname "Lady A" anyway.

https://ew.com/music/lady-antebellum...ame-to-lady-a/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
JO Sweet Heart

Thanks for the news. My question(s) is why was the named picked to begin with and if its meaning has nothing to do with why its being changed, why does it have to be changed at all?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly
Old 06-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Oh No Hurray for virtue-signaling.

From what I understand, the word antebellum means prior to the American Civil War, the War Between the States. It's almost as if they are trying to deny their Southern background, their Southern heritage in an attempt to suddenly appear "woke", when it most likely never an issue in years past.

It's strange that the four score and seven years (87) prior to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, people don't want to acknowledge that there was an America that existed. We seem to want to see it in the context of "slave/non-slave" states, and that the Southern states which later formed the Confederacy became a sort of pariah forever later in history books.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
MA
Forum Legend

Former Lady Antebellum will continue going by Lady A after apologizing to singer with the same name

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...te/3197200001/
Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Country Group Lady A Files Lawsuit against Singer Anita 'Lady A' White
by the Associated Press
July 8, 2020

Country group Lady A, which dropped the word "Antebellum" from its name because of the word's ties to slavery, has filed a lawsuit against a Black singer who has performed as "Lady A" for years.

The Grammy-winning vocal group filed the lawsuit Wednesday in federal court after negotiations with Anita White broke down in recent weeks. According to the lawsuit, the band is seeking a ruling that their use of the trademark "Lady A" does not infringe on White's alleged trademark rights of the same name.

The band is not seeking monetary damages.

But White, who has been releasing blues and soul music for years as "Lady A", complained publicly that the band never reached out to her before changing their name. Negotiations over the name failed to reach an agreement.

According to the lawsuit, the band applied for trademarks for the name "Lady A" for entertainment services and for use on clothing back in 2010 and no oppositions were filed by any person or entity.

"When we learned that Ms. White had also been performing under the name Lady A, we had heartfelt discussions with her about how we can all come together and make something special and beautiful out of this moment," said the group in a statement. "We never even entertained the idea that she shouldn't also be able to use the name Lady A, and never will today's action doesn't change that."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-white-1302517
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Why can't they call the band Lady Anti-Bellium?

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)

Black, White, Red, Blue, Yellow, Even Purple Lives Matter....Galatians 3:28
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
JO Sweet Heart

^^^ To me, that couldn't be a better name change if the name has to be changed at all!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, they could've just left their name the way that it was and just gave that second word a better definition since the first one is so terrible in the opinion of so many people.
JO Sweet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO Sweet Heart View Post
^^^ To me, that couldn't be a better name change if the name has to be changed at all!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, they could've just left their name the way that it was and just gave that second word a better definition since the first one is so terrible in the opinion of so many people.
The name "dixie" originated by the French word "ten" which is "dix"...so that word should be French, not a curse word!

Dixie You?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Oh No

It is ironic that Lady A(ntebellum) only chose to do this AFTER the outrage over alleged Southern "racist" connotations as of late, yet for years it was never a problem. That seems rather hypocritical and opportunistic. I think most of their fans would have never made such a "scandalous" connotation.

And in spite of the conundrum over a singer sharing the same name, "Lady A" does not even sound like a country band name.
ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
JO Sweet Heart

^^^ I second your entire message. To me, if this is their way of keeping the momentum going for themselves considering how long they have been on the radio already, instead they may have only dug their hole deeper.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly
JO Sweet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #11
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Maybe Lady Anti-Bellum should call themselves Lady Karen!

And maybe it's time for Alan Parsons to sue Lady Anti-Bellum with their song "Need You Now" sounding like "Eye in the Sky"....
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Default H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post

And maybe it's time for Alan Parsons to sue Lady Anti-Bellum with their song "Need You Now" sounding like "Eye in the Sky"....

I know!!! I feel sorry for women who are really named Karen now ! That name has gotten such a bad rep. ! And it is funny cause although it mainly is a White girls name, I have met some Latina Karen's and a Black Karen before ! And another funny thing was they all were nice ! So I don't associate the name Karen with the new stereotype of "an entitled White b*tch " , being I met Karen's from all races and all were cool!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
I know!!! I feel sorry for women who are really named Karen now ! That name has gotten such a bad rep. ! And it is funny cause although it mainly is a White girls name, I have met some Latina Karen's and a Black Karen before ! And another funny thing was they all were nice ! So I don't associate the name Karen with the new stereotype of "an entitled White b*tch " , being I met Karen's from all races and all were cool!
To me...this is a Karen I love....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs
Old 07-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #14
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post

I've heard that allegation before and I just don't believe it. I don't think the songs really sound anything alike, maybe slightly but I'm betting it's just coincidence. I know songs that I think sound alike and I've never heard either artist being accused of plagiarism, I just don't get it.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote