Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Quibi Sets Whodunnit Comedy; CW Drops Sketch Comedy After One Airing
Laff TV Acquires How I Met Your Mother; Lifetime Announces Stars for It's a Wonderful Lifetime for 2020
Fox Sets Premiere Date for Monday Fall Dramas; Jim Belushi Gets Discovery Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 3, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Damon Wayans Jr. Set to Star in Comedy for Peacock; Production to Restart for S.W.A.T.
Fri-Yay: Emmy Nominations Thoughts; Leah Remini to Host Game Show Network Game Show
Netflix Acquires Black Sitcoms from 1990s and 2000s; A 4 Sitcom Crossover Event Coming Soon to Netflix

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July/August)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season
07/21 - The Unicorn - Season One
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
clj2

Default TV Land has some angry fans, but what's happening to the ratings?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/07/24...-ratings/23423

Quote:
I was contacted recently by a few TV Land fans who wanted me to write something up about what’s been happening at the network. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never watched the network, and so I’m going to paraphrase some of their remarks:
TV Land has made recent programming changes that a number of viewers are unhappy about, and have expressed that unhappiness in the TV Land forums. Things had gotten somewhat out of control and moderators had, for a time, closed down some of the forums.
Generally commenters like the old time TV shows and don’t like the newer reality shows, and the addition of shows like Rosanne and Married With Children. Many also see it as move away from family friendly programming.
TVLand PRIME was launched last September and has really been the nail in the coffin of the old TVLand. They have been moving away from all the older series of the 50’s-70’s for a couple of years now.
I was interested because this ties in somewhat with my earlier post about cable networks abandoning their niche “roots” to grab for bigger general interest audiences. I wrote at the time that I couldn’t really blame the networks, they are, after all, running businesses.
We have plenty of experience with the reality that the attitudes of a group of disgruntled fans on the internet cannot be extrapolated into the general population, so I was interested to see what story the ratings I had told.
I don’t know exactly when the changes began that have the group of TVLand fans in an uproar, and I only have a few ratings data points, so that’s all I can look at. I also don’t know what the TV Land target demographic is, so I limited this to adults 18-49 which is the most general advertiser targeted group.
Update: The TV Land forum moderator let us know in the comments that the target is adults 40-54. Sadly, I don’t have data for that group, but I may be able to get it from TV Land communications folks. The adults 18-49 data will have to do for now.
TV Land’s average primetime adults 18-49 viewership
2007: 288,000
2008 (through 12/21/08): 288,000
That’s the very definition of steady as she goes. Any programming changes between 2007 and 2008 had no overall effect on the annual averages.
For 2009, I have several year/year monthly comparisons:
February (2009 v. 2008): 276,000 vs. 307,000; down 10%
April (2009 v. 2008): 250,000 vs. 246,000; up 2%
May (2009 v. 2008): 216,000 vs. 301,000; down 28%
June (2009 v. 2008): 250,000 vs. 291,000; down 14%
The 2009 vs. 2008 comparisons for those four months don’t look good. Not only are 3 of the 4 months down, but all the monthly numbers are below the averages for the prior two years.
-
For reference, the top 40 (out of ~230) airings on TV Land last week (7/13-19) were a combination of Bonanza, Andy Griffith Show and Gunsmoke.
Here are the numbers for TV Land’s top 5 airings last week (note these numbers are all viewers 2 and older, not adults 18-49 as above).
Rank Programs Net Day Time Viewers (Live+SD) (000s) 1 BONANZA TVLD Sun 03:00P-04:00P 1,354 2 ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW TVLD Sun 04:00P-04:30P 1,075 3 ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW TVLD Sun 06:00P-06:30P 1,071 4 BONANZA TVLD Sun 02:00P-03:00P 1,070 5 ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW TVLD Sun 05:30P-06:00P 1,070 -
Something’s going on this year vs. last at TV Land. I’m sure there are some TV Land viewers that would love to fill me in on the particulars from their perspective.
I have asked for comment from TV Land press resources, but haven’t yet received a reply. I will update this post (or perhaps do another one) if/when I do.
Update: I have connected with TV Land communications folks, and hope to get relevant information from them.
-
The monthly/annual adults 18-49 numbers above are a blend of Live+7 (when available) and otherwise Live+Same Day viewing. Last week’s show viewership numbers are Live+SD.
Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2009 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.
Love how Andy Griffith and Bonanza are still tops. Ouch at the rest though. Those 18-49 numbers aren't impressive even. Contrary to what I thought, more people UNDER 50 were watching M*A*S*H, Andy, and Sanford and Son (what dominated primetime in 2007 and in to 2008) than they are with Roseanne, the movies, and SGTL/Cougar.

Roseanne obviously hasn't been the "shot in the arm" they were expecting for PRIME....

Last edited by clj2; 07-25-2009 at 08:56 AM.
clj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

That's right! Bring back the true classics.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

the idiots at TVLand are off their crock - if their "target audience" is 40-54 they are sadly mistaken in thinking that audience wants cheap reality programming and 80's sitcoms instead of classic television.
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
the idiots at TVLand are off their crock - if their "target audience" is 40-54 they are sadly mistaken in thinking that audience wants cheap reality programming and 80's sitcoms instead of classic television.
Those of us at SO could run that station a lot better than the ignoramuses presently at the helm. Can you say CLUELESS??

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Mr. Television
17 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
You got that right. I wouldn't be caught dead watching them.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

Interesting how their top ratings are on a Sunday - to be honest, you really can't say from that tvbythenumbers article that their other shows are doing badly, because their other shows weren't airing on a Sunday afternoon. It's only the top 5 shows, also, but why weren't any Tuesday afternoon Bonanza airings in the top 5? Why weren't any Wednesday Gunsmoke airings in the top 5?

We're still not getting a clear picture is my point. It's so hard to tell what's working and what isn't because we have very little data to work with.

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:

That says it all.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
clj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieSomoski
Interesting how their top ratings are on a Sunday - to be honest, you really can't say from that tvbythenumbers article that their other shows are doing badly, because their other shows weren't airing on a Sunday afternoon. It's only the top 5 shows, also, but why weren't any Tuesday afternoon Bonanza airings in the top 5? Why weren't any Wednesday Gunsmoke airings in the top 5?

We're still not getting a clear picture is my point. It's so hard to tell what's working and what isn't because we have very little data to work with.
I agree....Sundays are when they have the most TAGS in primetime, as well as M*A*S*H, and we know overall (demos aside) they are still tops.

But primetime programming hasn't changed much from last year. I know that's not their bullseye target, but I am failing to see how they are doing any better 18-49 with the more recent shows than the older ones. It could be Cosby and Roseanne....the originals, who knows. Primetime in June 2008 was M*A*S*H, Andy Griffith, SGTL, movies, and marathons of Hillbillies, Designing Women, etc I think. Not really sure. It brought the ratings in though. I'm just confused. They want Roseanne, etc to bring in the younger people (40s), but they did better with the classic shows in that matter, apparently.

I'm all for the facts...hey, if the newer shows work, fine...if the older shows work, fine...I'm trying not to be biased. But they just aren't making sense. I can see airing Roseanne in PT to help with demos, but that 12am-4am is beyond me unless it is a plays thing.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Brent88
Forum Veteran

If Andy Griffith does so well why is it nowhere to be found on the weekday schedule? I don't get this network at all. Roseanne and SGTL air 1,000 times a week, and neither seem to be doing that well, but WHY are they airing all the time?! It's totally baffling.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
clj2

I don't know Brent. That's what's so confusing - TAGS is doing just as well (better) 18-49, a good demo, than Roseanne, but yet it's not airing. I don't get all of this Roseanne.

Pavan, if you're out there, do you still think Roseanne may be due partly to plays? I can't think of any other reason. Find it hard to believe they are worried about demos at 3am.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
tvparadise
Forum Regular

Gee, if Andy Griffith, Bonanza, and Gunsmoke are the top 3 most watched TV Land shows, I wonder what rounds out the top 5?

Pretty interesting that these 3 shows alone have the top 40 most watched airings on the channel.
tvparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
clj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&tcfan
Gee, if Andy Griffith, Bonanza, and Gunsmoke are the top 3 most watched TV Land shows, I wonder what rounds out the top 5?

Pretty interesting that these 3 shows alone have the top 40 most watched airings on the channel.
I love seeing that (although the shows may no longer be desirable) there are still so many tuning in for the old stuff.

I would think that M*A*S*H and either Three's Company, The Beverly Hillbillies, or Leave it to Beaver round the top 5 out. Then again, they're weird about Beaver. It either gets great treatment, or doesn't air.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I haven't watched TV LAND in so long (and have no intecion of it! ) I don't even know what number it is in our listings.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote