Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Keke Palmer Joins The Proud Family Revival; Amazon to Remake Penny Marshall's A League of Their Own
Tacoma FD Gets Season 3; Stars Come Aboard HBO Pandemic Comedy Event
Quibi Sets Whodunnit Comedy; CW Drops Sketch Comedy After One Airing
Laff TV Acquires How I Met Your Mother; Lifetime Announces Stars for It's a Wonderful Lifetime for 2020
Fox Sets Premiere Date for Monday Fall Dramas; Jim Belushi Gets Discovery Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 3, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Damon Wayans Jr. Set to Star in Comedy for Peacock; Production to Restart for S.W.A.T.

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July/August)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season
07/21 - The Unicorn - Season One
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #46
lemonade17
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Indeed & I think most here will choose not to watch it. It is just a cynical marketing ploy-the show looks no different than the dozens of other true crime shows on & has no resemblance to the original. Doesn't look to be anything wrong with the show, but people who are fans of UM want something nostalgic, not another glossy series with zero atmosphere or charm. The problem here lies with calling a show UM when it isn't anything like the original, while trying to make money off fans of that show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Much like internet wrestling fans, people need to realize that we are a very, very small minority of fans. We are outnumbered by people who are browsing Netflix, see "Unsolved Mysteries", and go, "oh that show used to scare me as a kid, let's watch it!", and they watch it and enjoy. They don't nitpick. They don't post online about the cases. And these are the people who Netflix cares about.
I think both of these are spot on. It's obvious to me the point of calling it UM was free advertising for the show, and it worked very well (show's #1 in the US, after all), so good for them. It's just not my cup of tea for that reason--I love Forensic Files and all those shows, but UM still managed to be different even before the trend had begun because it was a unique show. One example is that some people hate the paranormal segments, but to me that was part of the magic. It wasn't a constant stream of true crime that can end up getting heavy, but instead was peppered with stupid fun lucky rocks and sex chocolate, as well as feel-good reuinions like the Orphan Train stories. For me personally, this show is the true crime version of the constant remakes and reboots of 80s movies and fairy tales, and video game movies that were a trend a few years back. It's a cash grab, and I respect the hustle, but it's not for me.
lemonade17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:51 AM   #47
James T

Quote:
Much like internet wrestling fans, people need to realize that we are a very, very small minority of fans. We are outnumbered by people who are browsing Netflix, see "Unsolved Mysteries", and go, "oh that show used to scare me as a kid, let's watch it!", and they watch it and enjoy. They don't nitpick. They don't post online about the cases. And these are the people who Netflix cares about.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:54 AM   #48
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
the 35-60 minute format eliminates most of the categories seen on Unsolved Mysteries back in the 80's. I don't know they would do Lost Loves in the format of how they did it back then. Lost Loves cases like Captain Sharpe, Phillip Peletier or cases involving siblings separated but have not seen each other in decades, I don't think would be possible in the 35-60 minute format that the reboot does today. I think that they might be able to do science, such as an episode dedicated to the mystery of "are we alone in the universe?" and they could possibly fill 35-60 minutes talking about the moons of Jupiter and Saturn that could have life such as Io, Europa, Titan and Enceladus as well as neighboring galaxies such as Proxima Centuari. They might visit Mars again. Again, it might depend on the scientific topic.

Others such as heirs, psychics, treasures and legends are impossible under this current format. Ghosts is possible as there have been videos online lasting 35-60 minutes long.
Forget about it-you can bet this will mostly be a missing persons & unsolved murders show, with the occasional UFO & Ghost story.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:59 AM   #49
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade17 View Post
I think both of these are spot on. It's obvious to me the point of calling it UM was free advertising for the show, and it worked very well (show's #1 in the US, after all), so good for them. It's just not my cup of tea for that reason--I love Forensic Files and all those shows, but UM still managed to be different even before the trend had begun because it was a unique show. One example is that some people hate the paranormal segments, but to me that was part of the magic. It wasn't a constant stream of true crime that can end up getting heavy, but instead was peppered with stupid fun lucky rocks and sex chocolate, as well as feel-good reuinions like the Orphan Train stories. For me personally, this show is the true crime version of the constant remakes and reboots of 80s movies and fairy tales, and video game movies that were a trend a few years back. It's a cash grab, and I respect the hustle, but it's not for me.
Exactly, UM had charm & atmosphere. This show looks very well produced, but I don't see it bears much resemblance to the original & really I cannot see why it is any different to all the other high production true crime shows out there now.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #50
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

I'm only four episodes in, but I already think it's really cool how these new cases are so similar to classic UM cases.

Rey Rivera: portions of Charles Morgan, David Stone, and Rae Ann Mosser
Patrice Endes: Dana Satterfield
House of Horrors: Brad Bishop
Alonzo Brooks: Kurt Sova and Keith Warren

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but for us classic UM fans I think it's pretty neat. It's also great to have new cases to discuss.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #51
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Bingo. My wife has a passing and developing interest because of me watching the classic episodes. She likes watching them with me sometimes but she doesn't have nearly the knowledge or history of UM that I do.

When the Netflix episodes dropped, I watched the first two and told her they were good. Then she went and liked it so much, she binge watched the first four episodes. She loves this new version.

So like Cars said, they capitalized more on the casual fans than the hard-core fans. In some ways, I'm ok with that. I really like the new shows but they aren't classic UM. Trying to do that too much may have been worse, like the Farina reboot. If it wasn't going to be very much like early UM, than I'm ok with this.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #52
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
I'm only four episodes in, but I already think it's really cool how these new cases are so similar to classic UM cases.

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but for us classic UM fans I think it's pretty neat. It's also great to have new cases to discuss.
Will add to this that the Berkshire UFO is similar to the original Missing Time segment (people coming to hours later and having time unaccounted for).

The final episode reminded me of the Wendy Camp/Chad Noe case, right down to the most likely guilty party having custody of the missing person's child.

I also really enjoy having this new material to discuss on the board.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #53
Fletch
Cabin fever
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
I also really enjoy having this new material to discuss on the board.
Totally agree, it’s really awesome. It will be great to start seeing some developments in these new cases as well as new people posting. It will also be great to see people directly involved with the cases posting, which I’m sure will eventually happen.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #54
mtaylor72
Looking for that one clue...
Frequent Poster

I don't know; maybe it's just me but I don't like the "modern look" of it (fancy camera work, fancy post-processing work - just overproduced). This reminds me of Forensic Files. In the early years, FF had a less polished look about it. It made the show more creepy. In the later years (~2003 and beyond) it got more polished. That's what this new UM is like.
mtaylor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #55
Necco

I like it.
To me, it’s very reminiscent of the original just without a host and we would have roasted any host they came up with other than the reincarnated spirit of Robert Stack.

Although, the guy who does the YouTube series Mysterious WV would make a good host.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #56
kolson82
Frequent Poster

I like it for the reasons others have mentioned (something new to discuss and read about on here), but the padding issues are not a surprise at all. It's the fatal flaw of all Netflix programming. Their Marvel shows would have been top-notch had they told their stories organically and let them run for how ever many episodes they needed to run for. After all, Netflix is not Network television, so they don't have to adhere to a standard that says, "you will produce this many episodes." Instead, they insisted on those shows have 13 episode seasons even though they couldn't sustain it. Even the best of the Marvel shows--"Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones"--suffer from a horribly bloated middle that drags down the whole season. There's no reason they couldn't be 6 or 7 episodes and call it good. Same with the new UM. Just because you're doing one case per episode doesn't mean you have to stretch it out to an hour every time. It's your show on your channel. You're not filling time slots on TV. Tell the story organically and however long it is, that's how long it is. The padding in the first case really hampered what started out as an intriguing mystery. They could have shaved 10-15 minutes off that episode easily.
kolson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #57
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post

Good observations, every case is different, but I too thought of brad bishop. It was interesting how this guy was carefully buying time to escape the area. He knew that authorities would quickly respond to the family being inactive in their local area. He also tried to make it clear that he was going into the mountain area where he disappeared by looking at the camera. Hard to say whether or not he was just being a jerk to seek fame (look at me and there's not a damn thing you can do about it) or whether he was trying to deceive authorities to get them to focus their search on that area while he went to a different location. I actually think it is possible that this guy is still out there based on his behavior. This case sort of has bits that we've seen in many other cases.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #58
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
100%

And the classic still exists this time so we have the best of both worlds right now.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #59
Reconvene
Occasional Poster

It's way different from the original but I thought the first four episodes were entertaining. Interesting stories and the pacing was decent enough. I turned the UFO episode off though after 15 minutes and the last episode seemed to really drag for some reason.
Reconvene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #60
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

It doesn't need the full hour. It could get away with half hour. It just seemed like it dragged
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote