Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > The Conners

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering Renť Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Default Mistake to have killed off Roseanne?

As it has been six months since it happened- do you think it was a mistake for ABC to have killed off Roseanne?

While I think she needed to be off the air for awhile - and maybe even up to a year, I think they could have wrote her out of the story somehow, with the possibility she could return. It would make it hard for John Goodman's character, but maybe Dan and Roseanne could have gone away from Lanford for awhile.

Perhaps she could have redeemed herself while off the air, and there could have been forgiveness.

It seemed like ABC was to hasty to kill her off and then put something together without her. I haven't watched The Conners really this season. I thought the season from last year of Roseanne wasn't great (not like the first five seasons of the original show) but still worth checking in.

Just wondering what other fans of the original Roseanne think about it.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Merry24
Forum Regular

I think ABC should either get Roseanne back or cancell The Connors.

However they should do like Fuller House does. Have Roseanne & John Goodman & Laurie Metcalf in some episodes. Let the focus go to Becky & Darlene & D.J.in addition have the new Characters as the focal point.

They need nostalgia. It would be nice to hear mention of..

What happened to the lunchbox?
Is the Lobo Lounge Still around?
What happened to Jerry and Andy?
Why Jackie Doesn’t talk about Booker or Gary or Fisher or Fred?
Will Leon or Bonnie make an appearance?
Is Ed & Crystal Still together? / No mention of Lonny or his siblings
Rod bells Mall still in buisness?
Will Ziggy have the guts to show up? lol.
Will Mark & David’s Mom Show up to see her grandkids?

I understand bringing in Blue David’s girlfriend but it would of made more sense if he was with Molly Tillman.

Tonight’s episode January 8, 2019 said a lawyer never came into the house however they hired a lawyer when Mrs.Wellmintion hit the Shampoon Woman.

Becky can have some of her friends in these episodes like the friend she got drunk with. (Diane) They could of brought in Chip/(Chips Parents) and also Johnny Swanko.

Darlene could of had Barry as a love interest. Or the other guy she played basketball with. (Bryan) Or Jimmy from College.Or Darlene hanning with Karen. and her son Sammy.

DJ could be hanging with Todd Bowman. Perhaps the guys could of served together. Perhaps Mr. & Mrs. Bowman can make an appearance.

To me the connors is hard to watch without the person who made the connors possible ROSEANNE. In addition With no nostalgia it’s hard to get into the Connors.

For this Fans sake I just hope ABC and Roseanne can come together to bring the magic and bring in some nostalgia as well.If not Thank goodness for Reruns!
Merry24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

I think that would have been a good idea - to have it focused on the kids (and their kids) for Season 2, but Dan, Roseanne, Jackie as guests.

It probably would have been good to replace Becky again with Sarah Chalke. I think her acting is better from her Scrubs work, even though I preferred the original Becky as a kid. And replace DJ with another actor but not sure if so much change would work in the end.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Impressions
She died the way she lived

Nope. Iím enjoying it much more without Roseanne. The reboot was notoriously bad because it felt very political to me. The new show gives other characters more room to breathe and feels more truer to the original.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I have only seen a handful of the original Roseanne but know a little about the characters. With the reboot of the Connors I have seen all the episodes. Didn't know Becky was such a looker for men. Is she still having the baby. If so is she looking for a good father for the child.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

I would not have killed Roseanne off, but I agree with Impressions: having Roseanne not there allowed the rest of the ensemble cast to shine. I have enjoyed much of this season because of that.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

So I caught up with The Conners and it was about as enjoyable as some of last season, and maybe the show can do without Roseanne.

As far as the Trump/Clinton politics in Season 1 or the reboot of Roseanne, I think that faded after the first couple of episodes. However, in this season like the last season, there is a message of healthcare being too expensive that is prevalent throughout.

I think the writers are actually making a lot more use of Becky (Lecy Goranson) than in Season 1 - or the reboot of Roseanne, but surprisingly Darlene's kids, mainly her son, seem to have a lighter involvement perhaps in Season 2 than 1 so far. I've gotten used to Becky (Lecy), but it's somewhat sad she is a alcoholic turned sexaholic, but maybe her character will evolve for the better next season.

I do like the Darlene vs. Becky disagreement/tension/sister moments, and think that is the best carryover from the original series. DJ is kind of just there but it does make the family appear more realistic.

There are also quite a number of stars like Mary Steenburgen (first episode), Katey Sagal, and Matthew Broderick who have appeared. I liked the Katey Sagal character and hopefully she will return in more episodes, as an interest for Dan.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
bh7812
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to bh7812 Send a message via Yahoo to bh7812

I still have the original Roseanne series on DVD sitting here to watch, planning to soon but hesitant to start it without the 10 episodes they did before The Connors. I'll get to that too but I'd really like to see the 10 episodes before it. I should have Season Passed it on iTunes while they still had those episodes up ugh. Something was even telling me to and the season pass wasn't expensive at all. Does anyone know if there's any online service that has those episodes from last year? I'm willing to pay for them just need to find them!
bh7812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Here is an article mentioning what I just mentioned, of Lecy's increased role this season:
https://tvline.com/2018/11/24/lecy-g...ance-season-1/

One thing I don't know is why Lecy Goranson's voice sounds so projected though? Roseanne's voice also didn't seem natural, but I could be wrong.

I also wonder if Sandra Bernhard (Nancy) will return but I doubt it, and if so, doubt it will be meaningful. Crystal's role is very minor.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
Lorimar Television

I think its great
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
KRW
One Bad Mother Funker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
Nope. Iím enjoying it much more without Roseanne. The reboot was notoriously bad because it felt very political to me. The new show gives other characters more room to breathe and feels more truer to the original.
I'm right there with you.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=369240
KRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
dee2364
Forum Regular

I didn't see the first season of the reboot and have started catching up on The Connors reboot. Having watched the original show in first run, I don't miss Roseanne Barr a bit.

And I'm shocked that people think it would be a mistake to fire her. It seems that no one remembers that she was the one who ran the first show into the ground in the last season with the corny "we-won-the-lottery-but-it-was-a-dream-and-none-of-the-characters-were-who-you-thought-they-were" shtick. (I think she had it so that Darlene was really Becky and Becky Darlene, and Jackie was gay.) Also, she had the show pander to the audience way too much; it started sounding like the audience of Married with Children after awhile, with all the raucous laughter, hooting and hollering every other line.
dee2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #13
FueledByParamore
Frequent Poster

why would she talk about booker or fred i mean those are guys she dated do you bring up every guy you dated for no reason. and with jerry in the episodes when roseanne was on before they kicked her off they said he had a job working on a boat they made up some thing because they just wanted to focus on the main cast we grew up with and not add some new person playing an older jerry
FueledByParamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Yong Fang

I like Roseanne Barr a lot but in the end she really wasn’t a make or break in this reboot and I have been watching the show every week and the show is now basically centered on Darlene and her life and the life of Dan. John Goodman is a treasure and is always good in anything he is in. I also like the actress who plays Becky, she really has the Midwestern middle aged woman down to a tee. Reminds me of several of my cousins. Even has the accent right.

I wonder, what happened to Jackie’s child? She had a daughter which hasn’t been mentioned. And having the youngest brother Jerry drop in would be good too. There were some Muslim neighbors during the Roseanne Barr reboot which have disappeared.

But all in all really enjoy the show and one of the very few current shows that I care to tune in and watch.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #15
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
I like Roseanne Barr a lot but in the end she really wasn’t a make or break in this reboot and I have been watching the show every week and the show is now basically centered on Darlene and her life and the life of Dan. John Goodman is a treasure and is always good in anything he is in. I also like the actress who plays Becky, she really has the Midwestern middle aged woman down to a tee. Reminds me of several of my cousins. Even has the accent right.

I wonder, what happened to Jackie’s child? She had a daughter which hasn’t been mentioned. And having the youngest brother Jerry drop in would be good too. There were some Muslim neighbors during the Roseanne Barr reboot which have disappeared.

But all in all really enjoy the show and one of the very few current shows that I care to tune in and watch.
I agree. Over time, I have appreciated The Conners (Roseanne-less) and even over the original Roseanne series. I think Jerry was written off from the transition to The Conners.

I find even watching a good early season original Roseanne, that the kids were often rude and disrepectful, and family was crude in manner. I guess I used to enjoy that but find it more offputting. In The Conners, Harris is rebellious but there is still better family harmony in general, while the family is struggling financially like in Roseanne.

I do find Jackie to be somewhat marginalized in the new series in terms of character. I mean they really make it so that she has no life (other than being part of the Conners).

I'd rather see Jackie/Laurie Metcalf like Johnny Galecki on the series, as a recurring guest star, and maybe she could get piloted for another series on ABC. I don't think she is really needed as much on The Conners as Darlene has Becky to spar with already.