Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default ABC officially orders Roseanne spinoff The Conners -- without Roseanne Barr's partici

...pation

https://tvline.com/2018/06/21/rosean...ilbert-darlene

“Roseanne Barr will have no financial or creative involvement in the new series,” ABC said in announcing its 10-episode straight-to-series order for The Conners spinoff, premiering this fall and starring Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman. Executive producer Tom Werner and showrunner Bruce Helford will also be back. ABC didn't announce how the spinoff would move forward without Roseanne Conner, but a description hinted that she might be killed off. “After a sudden turn of events, the Conners are forced to face the daily struggles of life in Lanford in a way they never have before," ABC said in its announcement. "This iconic family — Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J. — grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America. Through it all, the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns – with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails.” ABC's announcement included a statement from Barr herself: “I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne," Barr said. "I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved." ALSO: Roseanne Barr is expected to retain all rights to her Roseanne Conner character, including for future spinoffs or reboots beyond The Conners.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Impressions
She died the way she lived

Best. News. Ever.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

I hope they don't kill off Roseanne Conner. That would seem short-sighted in 2048, during the inevitable re-re-reunion.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

This has disaster written all over it.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
MA
Forum Legend

I smell a flop coming.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
tlc38tlc38
Every day’s a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I hope they don't kill off Roseanne Conner. That would seem short-sighted in 2048, during the inevitable re-re-reunion.
Exactly. She will be back eventually because after so many years people forget about things.

I'm not a fan of this idea. They should just let it go.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38 View Post
Exactly. She will be back eventually because after so many years people forget about things.
They definitely do. Remember when Zsa Zsa Gabor slapped that cop? There was a huge backlash. And yet, she found plenty of work after that.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of this idea. They should just let it go.
I will definitely watch. I liked the original show, I liked the return, and I will definitely give the spin-off a try.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
cfr1970
Forum Regular

I won't watch and will laugh when it's cancelled. That Sara Gilbert woman is a nasty piece of work. Stabbed Roseanne right between the shoulder blades.

If it weren't for Roseanne, she'd be slinging hash at the local IHOP.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
I won't watch and will laugh when it's cancelled. That Sara Gilbert woman is a nasty piece of work. Stabbed Roseanne right between the shoulder blades.
She just said she didn't support racist comments. Anyone would have said this, as it's a no-brainer. You just don't call black people apes on social media. If you do, you won't have a job the next day.

Quote:
If it weren't for Roseanne, she'd be slinging hash at the local IHOP.
Sara Gilbert is the sister of Melissa Gilbert, who was president of the Screen Actor's Guild for many years. They are Hollywood royalty, and there's no way Sara would be "slinging hash at IHOP" if she wanted work in Hollywood.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
cfr1970
Forum Regular

It's actually a lot more than that. Gilbert is the one who wanted to bring back Roseanne. This was HER little pet project. In fact, she had to convince Roseanne to get on board to do it. And when Roseanne made that tweet (whether it was right or wrong is irrelevant), Gilbert was the first one toi distance herself from Roseanne in order to protect her little reboot project.

She sided with ABC and threw Roseanne under the speeding bus with absolutely not one iota of regret. All to save her little reboot project that Roseanne didn't even want.

So now she's the main star and the exec producer of a show that was created by the person who MADE Gilbert what she is. IMO that's a backstabber. I won't argue this issue any more because it can go on and on so we can just disagree.

Sara Gilbert is the sister of Melissa Gilbert, who was president of the Screen Actor's Guild for many years. They are Hollywood royalty, and there's no way Sara would be "slinging hash at IHOP" if she wanted work in Hollywood. [/QUOTE]

The Gilberts are hardly Hollywood royalty. That made me laugh. Sara Gilbert is a very unlikable person and just exudes nastiness to me. Others may like her, but I find her acting, personality, and looks to be....well, i'll just be nice and say "distasteful".

Hope it fails spectacularly!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
It's actually a lot more than that. Gilbert is the one who wanted to bring back Roseanne. This was HER little pet project. In fact, she had to convince Roseanne to get on board to do it. And when Roseanne made that tweet (whether it was right or wrong is irrelevant), Gilbert was the first one toi distance herself from Roseanne in order to protect her little reboot project.

She sided with ABC and threw Roseanne under the speeding bus with absolutely not one iota of regret. All to save her little reboot project that Roseanne didn't even want.
You think Roseanne "didn't want" to have the show rebooted? Roseanne Barr does not do anything she doesn't want to do. She said she was "having a blast", which is quite the opposite of a project she "didn't want" to do.

Quote:
The Gilberts are hardly Hollywood royalty. That made me laugh.
You think the president of the most powerful organization in Hollywood isn't Hollywood royalty? Well, okay.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
Impressions
She died the way she lived

Quote:

So now she's the main star and the exec producer of a show that was created by the person who MADE Gilbert what she is. IMO that's a backstabber. I won't argue this issue any more because it can go on and on so we can just disagree.

Sara Gilbert is the sister of Melissa Gilbert, who was president of the Screen Actor's Guild for many years. They are Hollywood royalty, and there's no way Sara would be "slinging hash at IHOP" if she wanted work in Hollywood.

The Gilberts are hardly Hollywood royalty. That made me laugh. Sara Gilbert is a very unlikable person and just exudes nastiness to me. Others may like her, but I find her acting, personality, and looks to be....well, i'll just be nice and say "distasteful".

Hope it fails spectacularly!
Are you serious? Roseanne threw herself into that bus with that racist tweet.

Just because Sara distanced herself from a racist tweet, that somehow makes her a backstabber? Yeah, she's gonna give up her dignity, her values and stand behind a comment that is totally repulsive. Makes total sense. Just because someone helped your career doesn't mean you need to stand by them 100%. Trust and respect are not unconditional.

Also, get your facts straight. They were BOTH exec producers on the reboot, and Roseanne shared co-creator credit on the original show. There's no way she stole the show away from her. Roseanne even agreed to give up the show so people's jobs could be created.

Terrible arguments all around.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

One thing about it if they Kill Roseanne off it can be explained as a part of a book that Dan was writing. Just about how they brought him back. The show should have stayed in the 90's. It's getting ridiculous now.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
Are you serious? Roseanne threw herself into that bus with that racist tweet.
Exactly. Nobody forced Roseanne to write that racist tweet. Not even the Ambien.

Quote:
Just because Sara distanced herself from a racist tweet, that somehow makes her a backstabber? Yeah, she's gonna give up her dignity, her values and stand behind a comment that is totally repulsive. Makes total sense. Just because someone helped your career doesn't mean you need to stand by them 100%. Trust and respect are not unconditional.
Well said. I'd only add that Roseanne was hardly the only person who helped Sara's career get off the ground: the casting director, the writers, and the producers all share some credit for that. (And if Marcy Carsey suddenly went on some crazy online rant, you better believe everyone would distance themselves from her crazy statements).

Quote:
Also, get your facts straight. They were BOTH exec producers on the reboot, and Roseanne shared co-creator credit on the original show. There's no way she stole the show away from her. Roseanne even agreed to give up the show so people's jobs could be created.
Yep. Roseanne knows what she did was over the line, and I'm glad she's stepping back so the damage can be mitigated. The only person here who did anything wrong was the person who called a black person an "ape" on Twitter, in front of millions of people: it was an unprovoked attack, cowardly and dumb, and Roseanne rightly lost her job because of it.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
cfr1970
Forum Regular

There's no way she stole the show away from her.

That's EXACTLY what Gilbert did. She stole her show from under her. And Roseanne gave in and gave up her rights to the show not just to "save 200 jobs", but because she knew darn well she couldn't go up against the current fascist/liberal/Hollywood/Groupthink/PC brigade.

The current political atmosphere is so disgusting from BOTH sides, but it's one particular side that if you anger them, you're done forever. It's like 1939 Germany!

And a horrifying tweet by a Hollywood actor calling for a child to be placed in a cage with pedophiles to be raped doesn't garner any outrage simply because the words came from a liberal towards a conservative.

Roseanne calls someone an "ape" and loses everything. Give me a break. I just hope Roseanne gets the last laugh when all is said and done.

Edited to add: Roseanne certainly DID have reservations about coming back for a reboot. She initially DIDN'T want to do it and thought it was a bad idea. It was GILBERT who pressured her to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if she had this planned all along. Snake.