Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

M*A*S*H links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / M*A*S*H Photo Gallery

M*A*S*H - Season 1

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 1 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 2

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 2 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 3

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 3 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 4

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 4 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 5

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 5 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 6

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 6 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 7

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 7 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 8

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 8 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 9

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 9 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 10

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 10 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 11

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 11 on DVD
M*A*S*H - The Complete Series - Martinis and Medicine Collection

Buy M*A*S*H - The Complete Series - Martinis and Medicine Collection on DVD
M*A*S*H - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen (3-Disc Extras Set)

Buy M*A*S*H - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen (3-Disc Extras Set) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > M*A*S*H

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
vitoscotti
Frequent Poster

Default Gary Burghoff on Match game 75

Amazon prime has classic game show match game. The show, it's regulars , and semi-regulars are marvelous. I love the fact it's not pc. Just one laugh after another.

Charles Nelson Reilly was apparently on hiatus on Match Game 75 ,the beginning of the year. Gary Burghoff is sitting in the seat of Charles Nelson Reilly while he's gone.

I like Gary Burghoff as radar O'Reilly. Absolutely brilliant character.

But on Match Game he's so unfunny. His humor is so forced, amateurish and unskilled. It's just one bad joke after another. Trying to be a clone of The Talented Charles Nelson Reilly ripping Brett Somers. It just doesn't work for Gary Burghoff. Much material he uses literally makes no sense. You can see Richard Dawson just cringing at the bad humor. And Dawson took some Jabs at his material too. it was very uncomfortable watching it. Looks like he caught lightning in a bottle with his radar O'Reilly character.

Curious if any Mash fans have seen these match games with burghoff and what they think of it?

Last edited by vitoscotti; 01-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.
vitoscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitoscotti
Amazon prime has classic game show match game. The show, it's regulars , and semi-regulars are marvelous. I love the fact it's not pc. Just one laugh after another.

Charles Nelson Reilly was apparently on hiatus on Match Game 75 ,the beginning of the year. Gary Burghoff is sitting in the seat of Charles Nelson Reilly while he's gone.

I like Gary Burghoff as radar O'Reilly. Absolutely brilliant character.

But on Match Game he's so unfunny. His humor is so forced, amateurish and unskilled. It's just one bad joke after another. Trying to be a clone of The Talented Charles Nelson Reilly ripping Brett Somers. It just doesn't work for Gary Burghoff. Much materiel he uses literally makes no sense. You can see Richard Dawson just cringing at the bad humor. And Dawson took some Jabs at his material too. it was very uncomfortable watching it. Looks like he caught lightning in a bottle with his radar O'Reilly character.

Curious if any Mash fans have seen these match games with burghoff and what they think of it?

I saw his stints on "Match Game" and, while on M*A*S*H, Radar had a good dry sense of humor but kept the viewers' sympathies for being likable and naive in spite of being a thoroughly capable clerk in a chaotic environment, Mr. Burghoff seemed to think that being sarcastic and meanspirited to the contestants and other panelists was clever and charming. Perhaps, he wanted to show the TV audience he was smarter and more worldly than Radar but he just wound up making himself seem unpleasant for others to have to deal with.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
vitoscotti
Frequent Poster

I find whenever in match game if you want a finger on the pulse of things look at Richard Dawson's face . His face is so honest and expressive of what's going on . Or just if he responds to an other panelists quips, or even smiles. He never smiles at a burghoffs jokes or interacts.

I don't believe Gary Burghoff had any TV success other than Mash. I think he was pretty much a one-trick pony.

Gene Rayburn always spoke fondly on the show of him. I think they were buddies. Gene Rayburn would praise His dinner theater shows here and there .

Some of the guest stiff panelists would interact a little bit but Gary Burghoff was non stop in match game yapping at every twist and turn.
vitoscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:35 AM   #4
Heenan Fan

Gene Rayburn and Gary Burghoff were in fact long time personal friends. Gary wasn't very good on Match Game, I admit. He was still much better than Bill Daily though. I liked Daily on I Dream Of Jennie and Bob Newhart. But the real Bill Daily was illiterate and had the IQ of a houseplant (Trapper line about Radar). He should of never been on MG. He would always scribble his (wrong) answer so the audience wouldn't catch on that he couldn't read or write. He was o.k. in the first chair, but he should of never replaced Dick Dawson in the main spot.

Last edited by Heenan Fan; 02-14-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #5
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I don't want to sound mean, but I can't get over that big mole or wart or whatever it is on Gary Burghoff's forehead! I have seen him recently on Match game on BUZZR !
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 AM   #6
Heenan Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
I don't want to sound mean, but I can't get over that big mole or wart or whatever it is on Gary Burghoff's forehead! I have seen him recently on Match game on BUZZR !
That's one of the reasons Radar always wore a hat - to try and hide it. Also, Radar was only suppose to be 19 and he was quickly going bald.

If you didn't like his mole, you should try to check out his left hand. Gary Burghoff only had 3 fingers on his left hand. That's why Radar was constantly carrying a clipboard or something with that hand, so he could curl his fingers and hide it.

Gary got the mole removed around 1978 or so, shortly before he left MASH.
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Lastkidpicked
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
I saw his stints on "Match Game" and, while on M*A*S*H, Radar had a good dry sense of humor but kept the viewers' sympathies for being likable and naive in spite of being a thoroughly capable clerk in a chaotic environment, Mr. Burghoff seemed to think that being sarcastic and meanspirited to the contestants and other panelists was clever and charming. Perhaps, he wanted to show the TV audience he was smarter and more worldly than Radar but he just wound up making himself seem unpleasant for others to have to deal with.
Yes!
And if you want to be charitable about it you could say that he was "trying too hard". Like the guy at the party dancing around with a lampshade on his head, thinking he's hilarious.
Lastkidpicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
GameShowFan
Occasional Poster

One time he was funny during a question about a musical saw. Gary was in the first chair and he began talking in a deep voice, then he went into a Charles Nelson Reilly imitation which was hilarious! Charles himself was quite delighted as he was back on the panel for that show.
GameShowFan is offline   Reply With Quote