Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
johnnyangel
Forum Regular

Default Perhaps posted elsewhere: Canadian Rest Stop Murders (guy with long blonde hair)

I am sure this topic is posted elsewhere, in fact, I MYSELF may have posted about here various years ago.

Last I heard, I believe the guy responsible for the shootings was either known and caught, or "known but we don't have enough proof to make an arrest yet" kinda deal. I believe the killer was believed to be an ex-cop or something along those lines.

Anybody have any recent updates about this case?
johnnyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyangel
I am sure this topic is posted elsewhere, in fact, I MYSELF may have posted about here various years ago.

Last I heard, I believe the guy responsible for the shootings was either known and caught, or "known but we don't have enough proof to make an arrest yet" kinda deal. I believe the killer was believed to be an ex-cop or something along those lines.

Anybody have any recent updates about this case?
Yes, the suspected killer is Ronald West, who was a former police officer. He confessed to a double murder that happened in 1970 and is now serving life in prison for that crime. He has never been charged with the rest-stop murders but I am almost 100% sure he is the guy for a few reasons:

1) He looks like the composite

2) He was known at one time to have driven a blue van.

3) He lived in the Blind River area AT THE TIME of the rest-stop murders.

4) Some of his previous robberies were very similar to the rest-stop incident (involving long guns).

5) Although he didn't always kill his robbery victims, he has confessed to a double murder that happened in 1970, so he has the history.

The only thing that doesn't fit is his age. McAllister described him as being about 30 years of age. West would have been at least 10 years older than that at the time. However, I think he looks younger than his age.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
RobinW

The prime suspect is a former Toronto police officer named Ronald Glenn West, who is currently incarcerated for separate home invasion murders of two women in 1970. West was already serving time in prison for a series of robberies when DNA evidence tied him to the murders in 1999. On the surface, West seems like the perfect suspect because he lived in Blind River in 1991, owned a van resembling the one seen speeding away from the crime scene, and his wife apparently once said that the composite sketch of the suspect resembled her husband in a wig.

The only unanswered question is whether Gord McAllister was ever asked to identify West. Awhile back, there was some false info floating around this forum that Gord died in 1998, one year before West became a suspect, so I always assumed he just never got the chance to identify him. But then an obituary for Gord McAllister surfaced which showed he actually died in 2012. So Gord definitely would have gotten the opportunity to identify West if the police asked him about it, but I'm not sure if they ever did, so he's never been conclusively tied to the murders. I kinda hope West was the killer because at least it would mean he's no longer out there.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Hasho
Frequent Poster

I am going to rob you and then I am going to kill you
Hasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasho
I am going to rob you and then I am going to kill you
Oh, good lord. Now I'm going to have nightmares.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
That actor and his creepy eyes was a slam dunk cast for the reenactment, which probably wasn't even half as scary as what really happened.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
LooksLikeCRicci

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
That actor and his creepy eyes was a slam dunk cast for the reenactment, which probably wasn't even half as scary as what really happened.
Seriously. My "terror level" is going up just THINKING about that segment. Which happens everytime Hasho posts, btw, because of that avatar pic.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
The villain in the segment is reminiscent of Rutger Hauer in "The Hitcher." (Great movie, btw).
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
The villain in the segment is reminiscent of Rutger Hauer in "The Hitcher." (Great movie, btw).
The actor in the re-enactment also reminds me of Alexander Godunov, who played Karl the terrorist in "Die Hard".
Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
The actor in the re-enactment also reminds me of Alexander Godunov, who played Karl the terrorist in "Die Hard".
Yes. Very much so.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
baloony
Forum Regular

I swear, I would pay money to see the Blind River killer meet up with this guy.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
johnnyangel
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info again. Anybody know why he is "suspected" (other than the list of a few things mentioned above).

Did he talk about the crimes at one point and then recant in jail or something?
johnnyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyangel
Thanks for the info again. Anybody know why he is "suspected" (other than the list of a few things mentioned above).

Did he talk about the crimes at one point and then recant in jail or something?
As far as I know, West has never admitted to being involved in the Blind River rest stop murders. There is no hard evidence tying him to the crime, just a lot of interesting coincidences (him living nearby in Blue River, him driving a van, his resemblance to the composite sketch) which make him a very good suspect.

If West is the guy, then he certainly had a strange M.O.:

1. Commits two separate home invasion murders/sexual assaults within the same month in 1970.

2. Murders two people during a robbery at the Blind River rest stop in 1991.

3. Commits a series of robberies in Sault Ste. Marie in 1995, but lets the victims live.

Unless West had other victims we don't know about, it's pretty weird that he would go over 20 years between murders and then commit another series of robberies four years after that without killing anyone. The guy who robbed the McAllisters clearly had his mind set on killing someone, no matter what.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Yes, the suspected killer is Ronald West, who was a former police officer. He confessed to a double murder that happened in 1970 and is now serving life in prison for that crime. He has never been charged with the rest-stop murders but I am almost 100% sure he is the guy for a few reasons:

1) He looks like the composite

2) He was known at one time to have driven a blue van.

3) He lived in the Blind River area AT THE TIME of the rest-stop murders.

4) Some of his previous robberies were very similar to the rest-stop incident (involving long guns).

5) Although he didn't always kill his robbery victims, he has confessed to a double murder that happened in 1970, so he has the history.

The only thing that doesn't fit is his age. McAllister described him as being about 30 years of age. West would have been at least 10 years older than that at the time. However, I think he looks younger than his age.
If Ronald Glenn West is the rest stop killer (and of course, in the absence of any proof to the contrary, that's just an if), then Gord McAllister may have guessed the age based on the killer's physical appearance. That wouldn't be unusual, since many people look older or younger than they really are.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
If Ronald Glenn West is the rest stop killer (and of course, in the absence of any proof to the contrary, that's just an if), then Gord McAllister may have guessed the age based on the killer's physical appearance. That wouldn't be unusual, since many people look older or younger than they really are.
He was also in an impossible situation-- the unthinkable is happening. He's in fear for his life. I'm shocked he was able to put together a composite under those circumstances. The fact that he's off on the age is fine by me.

Also, it should be noted that drug use (if West was a known drug user) can age the hell out of folks. I've got people I prosecute who are 15 years younger than me, but I look younger than them. Meth, man. Not even once.