Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Mary Tyler Moore Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Mary Tyler Moore Show Photo Gallery

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Question Would You Consider "Gordon Howard" to Be One Of John Amos' Most Memorable Roles???

...even though he was never a big part of the MTM show?

John Amos played Gordy the Weatherman at WJM on the classic CBS comedy series "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" for three seasons.

If it hadn't been for famed Kansas City Chiefs football coach Hank Stram, John Amos may never had a four-decade long career in Hollywood, including memorable acting roles in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "Good Times" and "Roots."

A running back at Colorado State, Amos had tried out unsuccessfully for the Denver Broncos and was cut twice from the Chiefs. Stram, recalled the 72-year-old Amos, told him, "Young man, you are not a football player. You are a young man who happens to be playing football."

Amos had sustained a season-ending injury, a torn Achilles tendon. "To console myself, I sat in a tub of hot water with a pint of Jack Daniels and wrote 'The Turk.'" The poem's title, Amos explained, was "an euphemism for the character that comes in the middle of the night and knocks on your room door and tells you to report to the coach and bring your playbook because you have been subsequently released."

Stram, said Amos, "gave me permission to read the poem to the team and they en masse gave me a standing ovation. When he saw the team's reaction to the poem he said, 'I think you have another calling.'"

Amos put his writing skills to work as an advertising copywriter. "I would work as a copywriter during the day and then the chance came to moonlight as a comedy writer in television." Amos was hired to be part of the writing staff for the 1969 CBS musical variety series "The Leslie Uggams Show."

Though the series starring the African American singer-actress was short-lived, it led to Amos being cast as Gordy the weatherman in 1970 on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show.'" Some of the writers from "Uggams" were working on the Moore sitcom and thought he would be a perfect Gordy.

"They wrote me a few lines on'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'and thus Gordy was born and quite frankly I never looked back after that," Amos noted in a phone interview from his home in New Jersey.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7557501.story

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

Well it's one of the two roles I remember him for! The other being James Evans on Good Times.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

No, it was just his first break, his memorable role was Good Times
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
Well it's one of the two roles I remember him for! The other being James Evans on Good Times.
It's one of three roles I will always remember him for: the two you indicate and also as the adult Kunta Kinte (Toby) in Roots.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
It's one of three roles I will always remember him for: the two you indicate and also as the adult Kunta Kinte (Toby) in Roots.
Yes very true. Roots just took America by storm back then. I don't think John Amos was ever more popular then at that time, even when he was on Good Times.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
No, it was just his first break, his memorable role was Good Times

That's what I say too. I mean sure, MTM gave him his big break in acting, but how memorable could a character be with only a few lines of dialogue???

Excellent point about Roots guys...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
That's what I say too. I mean sure, MTM gave him his big break in acting, but how memorable could a character be with only a few lines of dialogue???

Excellent point about Roots guys...

He should have been cast as a "intelligent janitor" because I never saw the point of him being in the newsroom with such a minor role. Atleast with the janitor role you would understand why he was not seen much
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
He should have been cast as a "intelligent janitor" because I never saw the point of him being in the newsroom with such a minor role. Atleast with the janitor role you would understand why he was not seen much

That's a good point Sol, My guess and this is only a guess, the reason Amos didn't get much dialogue is because the writers probably didn't know how to write for a black man at the time.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
That's a good point Sol, My guess and this is only a guess, the reason Amos didn't get much dialogue is because the writers probably didn't know how to write for a black man at the time.

I don't blame him for taking the role. I would have snatched it in a heartbeat. Then went back and forth between MTM and Maude, then went to the producto derivado Good Times.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
RetroTVNitekatt

It's the "Rerun Syndrome" - the show has played so much in syndication you get used to seeing his appearances. Feels like he he did more than he did. However, it wasn't a bad part and they should have used him more - perhaps if he didn't get "Good Times" he might have stayed on more regularly for the balance of the series. (His last regular episode actually airs about a week before "Good Times" had it's mid-season premier)

Same thing with Howard Morris's Earnest T.Bass on "The Andy Griffith Show" - he only made 5 appearances but it seems like more because of the constant reruns over the years.

Last edited by RetroTVNitekatt; 12-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
RetroTVNitekatt is offline   Reply With Quote