Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Mr. Fuji
Frequent Poster

Default Your Theories on the Strange Death of Tim Molnar

I've tried discussing this case before, but few have responded. It's been a while, though, and maybe now some new people would like to talk about it. The thing is, I can't figure out a logical explanation for what happened to Molnar and how things happened the way they did. Any theories on the case? What follows is a general description of what happened in the case.

On January 24, 1984, Tim Molnar disappears from Daytona Beach Florida after withdrawing all but 10 dollars from his savings account. He only takes one pair of clothes with him.

Two weeks later, his family finds out that he bought gas in a city 150 miles north of Daytona Beach on the day he disappeared.

The Molnars receive a letter from an auto impound company stating that Tim's car had been found abandoned in Georgia in a parking lot one block away from a Greyhound station.

The Unsolved Mysteries segment airs, speculating that Tim bought a bus ticket and started a new life.

A man named Stephen Cull sees the segment, and recognizes the clothing described in the segment as matching those he found on a dead body he had seen in the woods in Wisconsin in 1986. He calls UM and reports this bit of information.

Subsequent DNA tests on the body in Wisconsin confirm that the body is indeed that of Tim Molnar.
Mr. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
crystaldawn

Sorry I don't have that one on tape (you suggested it for v5) but I agree it is fascinating. Its always been a hard one to tape as I believe its one of those brief ones thats shown at the very end. I don't have any clear cut theories and of course the strangest part of this is where his body was found. It wouldn't seem that unbelievable that he left his family and I think he just tired of his life for whatever reason and decided to leave. I wonder if his money ran out and he hitchhiked. Maybe the person who picked him up was a killer and killed Tim and put his body in the trunk or something and just started driving and when he was far enough away from where the crime took place he dumped his body. Or maybe Tim started to drive up north and ran out of money and started walking maybe dying of exposure or something in the woods. They could never determine a cause of death, could they? Yet another strange twist to this story is the inheritance Tim was set to receive. Maybe he was having financial problems before he left and knowing of this inheritance could have persuaded him to stay. Did they ever say how much it was?
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

I have never seen this case but did read about it on the Unsolved Mysteries website. It sounds very strange indeed. Did Tim show any signs of wanting to leave home? He was apperantly a sophomore in college when he disappeared in 1984. Reading the case, and seeing he withdrew the money, I can think of a couple different possibilities. One, that he was overwhelmed in his life and just wanted to take off for a while but intended on returning, hence why he left the 10 dollars in his account but at some point in his journey met with foul play. Or two, as Heather said, that he died from exposure to the elements. The thing that bugs me and what makes me thing he might have met with foul play was he was found in the woods. However how did he end up in Neosho, Wisconsin? I looked up Neosho and found it is a small town of about 600 people in Dodge County, Wisconsin which is northwest of the Milwaukee Metro area. I would estimate Neosho to be about 25 to 30 miles away from downtown Milwaukee. Maybe it is more than that. I just cant believe that no one saw him and that no one knows how he wound up there. It said the last conclusive sighting of him was when he stopped for gas in Lake City, Florida on the day he disappeared. Since the car wound up in Atlanta that would tell me he took Interstate 75 straight up there. However I would think he would have to stop at least once more to get gas if he drove to Atlanta. Would a whole tank get him from Lake City to Atlanta? I guess that would depend on how many gallons his cars tank held and how many miles he got a gallon. Atlanta is probably a good 500 miles north of Lake City at least. The fact that his car wasnt left until 6 days after he disappeared tells me he was either driving around Georgia or hanging out in Atlanta. Or someone had his car and abandoned it. I have trouble believing though that if he was killed in Georgia that someone would drive his body all the way up to Wisconsin to dump it. But it is possible. The fact that his stereo, tool set and bike were missing could very well be that either Tim took the bike to ride and sold off the stereo and tool set for money or that someone killed Tim and stole those items either for themselves or to pawn off for cash.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
kadrmas15

This case is so strange it bugs me. I just cant figure out how Tim wound up in Wisconsin. Did he take a bus to Chicago or something and get killed there and get dumped in Dodge County, Wisconsin? I just cant figure out how he would wind up in the woods of a small town in Wisconsin about a half hour away from Milwaukee. I checked the Dodge County, Wisconsin sheriff's department page out and there was nothing there, it was like they have forgotten all about it. Either that or because they didnt have a conclusive cause of death they didnt label it a homicide. I still cant believe no one saw Tim after he left Lake City. The thing that would maybe make me believe he died not too long after he was last seen was he was wearing the same clothes that he was found in later. You would think he would buy a new shirt and pants and stuff. Also it sounded like Tim had a decent amount of money in his bank account bus travel isnt expensive and in 1984 it was way cheaper. So strange. I dont know if he got to a certain major city and then he just started hitching rides from truckers and the like or what. The only thing that makes me think foul play is how he wound up in the woods. But it is unclear how long he lived after he was last seen in Lake City. His body I believe was found in late 1985 so nearly two years after he disappeared his body was found.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

I always assumed that Tim met up with foul play while hitchhiking. Why he left is another mystery all together. Also, I thought I remembered Stack saying that Tim's body was found in Waukesha (perhaps he said "near" since they are very close by). Did he actually say he was found in Neosho, Wi on UM? On google maps it looks like Neosho is miles from any Interstate, and I've certainly never heard of it. I live about an hour away and know the Milwaukee Metro area relatively well from having relatives in the area. That would lead me to think that the person who dumped the body new the area pretty well.

This is a very very sad case, and all the more sad because it seems like it might be impossible to solve at this point.
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
kadrmas15

Waukesha is a possibility. It said on the Unsolved Mysteries website that his body was found in some woods near the town of Neosho. Waukesha is a western suburb of Milwaukee. But I would agree the fact that he was found where he was found raises the chances of foul play significantly. Because I think someone would have to know the area to dump him there. It appears Neosho is right off state highway 67 but it isnt off any major roadways. Neosho is actually near the intersection of state highway 67 and state highway 60.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Mr. Fuji
Frequent Poster

Great to finally get some discussion on this case!

One thing I remember from the segment was that the morning that he disappeared, he dropped his little brother off at school, and his brother said that for some reason, when he said good-bye to him, he had a feeling that that would be the last time he would ever see him. Tim seemed depressed about something, but no one knew what. He was a good looking kid, and very popular in high school.

What an incredible, incredible coincidence that the man who was watching UM 12 years or so after he found the body in the woods happened to remember the clothes on the body and recognized that they matched the clothes Tim was wearing in the segment. The whole thing is so strange, so bizarre, I almost feel like I want to think that UM made the whole thing up as a ratings ploy!
Mr. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
kadrmas15

Was Tim found in the woods? Or was he found in a building like a barn or something? I still cant figure out how he wound up going from Florida to Wisconsin. Sometimes I think he was murdered and other times I think he had an emotional break down and felt a need to escape and left a few dollars in his account probably thinking he would be back someday.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #9
Awsi Dooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
It said the last conclusive sighting of him was when he stopped for gas in Lake City, Florida on the day he disappeared. Since the car wound up in Atlanta that would tell me he took Interstate 75 straight up there. However I would think he would have to stop at least once more to get gas if he drove to Atlanta. Would a whole tank get him from Lake City to Atlanta? I guess that would depend on how many gallons his cars tank held and how many miles he got a gallon. Atlanta is probably a good 500 miles north of Lake City at least. The fact that his car wasnt left until 6 days after he disappeared tells me he was either driving around Georgia or hanging out in Atlanta. Or someone had his car and abandoned it.
I don't know what his vehicle was or the MPG but it's definitely possible to get from Lake City to Atlanta on one tank of gas. That's northern Florida so I doubt it's more than 300 miles. I made it from Miami to Atlanta in one day several times and that was something like 700 miles. The bulk of that was getting out of Florida. Like you said, you just shoot up I-75.

This guy should have hooked up with the Canadian who ended up dead in a motel parking lot in Tennessee. Mix them together and maybe something would make sense.

I wonder if the guy who found the body and called in the identification a decade later was ever considered a suspect? I'm sure he had nothing to do with the death but I've seen at least one case like that, a homosexual guy who killed a kid in California. Then he apparently got frustrated no one found it, so years later he found the body himself and got some favorable press. Not until maybe a decade later did the police put it together, kind of by accident once they realized where the guy was living at the time, near the kid's walking route, to school or the bus stop. They contacted him in a ruse and took him up to the area where the body was found, but he said he couldn't remember the area. However, the homosexual lover said it was one of the guy's favorite spots to take him.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
siamesemeg
incapable of thought or speech
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I wonder if the guy who found the body and called in the identification a decade later was ever considered a suspect? I'm sure he had nothing to do with the death but I've seen at least one case like that, a homosexual guy who killed a kid in California. Then he apparently got frustrated no one found it, so years later he found the body himself and got some favorable press. Not until maybe a decade later did the police put it together, kind of by accident once they realized where the guy was living at the time, near the kid's walking route, to school or the bus stop. They contacted him in a ruse and took him up to the area where the body was found, but he said he couldn't remember the area. However, the homosexual lover said it was one of the guy's favorite spots to take him.
I was thinking about this same case (maybe I saw it on one the A&E shows?), and wondering about the man who found Tim Molnar's remains. As another poster said, it is such an incredible coincidence.
siamesemeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
noah82
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesemeg
I was thinking about this same case (maybe I saw it on one the A&E shows?), and wondering about the man who found Tim Molnar's remains. As another poster said, it is such an incredible coincidence.
Ya, that was on cold case files.
noah82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
palmyrafan
Occasional Poster

Oh No Tim Molnar

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it strange that someone would remember EXACTLY what clothes a dead body had on 12 years before.

I, for one, can't even remember what I wore 10 years ago, much less family, friends or even strangers.

Maybe someone needs to look again at the person that "found" the dead body.

Just a thought.
palmyrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Prisoner6
Occasional Poster

When I looked uo Tim Molnar's name I found http://members.tripod.com/~Aetherco/...eon/cham1.html
The name on the dedication is Tim Molnar, but all the other people involved in this game lived in Pennsylvania.
There is a possibilty that this D&D style game was advertised in DRAGON magazine and Tim responded for a
Play by Mail (PBM)(the author of this game had a comic in DRAGON.)
It makes it even more weird when you realize that if Tim was in D&D, the headquarters for TSR is Lake Geneva,
Wisconsin and the convention Gencon was moved in 1985 from the University of Wisconsin, Parkside to the MECCA
in downtown Milwaukee! Maybe Tim had made friends in the gaming community and traveled to conventions because
I have a hard time believing he existed for almost two years with one change if clothes and a small amount of money.

Mark
Prisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
glong425
Occasional Poster

Yeah, Tim was not very active in D&D. He was not quiet. He was usually not depressed. He was not the most popular guy in HS. He was a partier. He was into the drug scene. He adored his car. That is the biggest clue...his car...I really have a difficult time imagining him abandoning it willingly.
glong425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
leafygreens
weird-o
Frequent Poster

How can you find a body in the woods and UM is the first place you call?
leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote