Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #31
Not A News Broadcast
Occasional Poster

I haven't posted in awhile so I'll throw in my 2 cents.I just watched this segment yesterday and after reading a lot of the replies and possible scenarios regarding this particular case I decided to go another way with it.Now with the risk of being laughed at just work with me here for a moment.This a stretch but do you think that just MAYBE she was literally scared to death by something she had seen in her apartment? Dunno but maybe she was coming out of the shower and SOMEHOW something crawled into her apartment? Maybe a rat/snake? This could explain the screams. Maybe she didn't try to exit because it was right in front of the doorway? Could it be something as simple as this? I know...far fetched but who knows since there is a substantial lack of evidence in this case.
Not A News Broadcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
DearBunny
Frequent Poster

I'm not sure what to make of this case. There have been a lot of good ideas posted here as to what might have happened to Crystal. When I initially saw the segment, I had a hard time believing that she was murdered because of the lack of evidence. I thought perhaps since she was ill that she had taken some medication and possibly suffered an allergic reaction or maybe mixed the medication with drugs or alcohol, thus leading to her death. But now I'm not so sure. It still doesn't explain the screaming that the neighbors heard, but it's possible she was screaming because she needed medical assistance and was unable to obtain it on her own as she had been incapacitated by the medicine/drugs/alcohol. As for her being found half-naked, well even when I'm alone I don't walk around my apartment like that. That does suggest that perhaps someone else was there and that they had some sort of sexual encounter.

The discrepancies in the autopsy and the information that came out later about the phone cord being wrapped around her body and the state of disarray in the apartment seem to point to foul play. I wonder if her boyfriend was ever questioned? It does seem unusual to me that he didn't try to contact her for that entire week. If they were as close as he said they were, wouldn't he have become worried?

The more I look at all the evidence that's been presented here on the board, the more this looks like foul play to me. I hope that the authorities eventually find out what really happened.
DearBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #33
kamy
UM Fanatic
Forum Regular

Yeah, boyfriend, kinda odd. Their relationship seemed to be progressing, and he didn't touch base with her all week? Maybe that's the "mature" man way to do things, but me and my husband when we were courting, couldn't go more than two days without talking. And as smitten as Crystal seemed with him it doesn't make sense.
kamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #34
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Thiussat, It is a realistic scenario that Crystal could have screamed bloody murder upon being poisoned. If an intruder was in her home, that alone would explain the screams.

I too believe Crystal was murdered. There wouldn't be any reason for her to scream if she was about to commit suicide. Typically, people that commit suicide seem happier than usual, as they tell themselves that they will not have to endure the stresses of their lives much longer.

The probable murderer appears to be very good at covering his tracks. That would explain the lack of an obvious cause of death and possible signs of a struggle. Kind of reminds me of the Kurt Sova case in that sense.

I am a bit puzzled by the lack of signs of a forced entry. That would lead me to believe it was someone she knew. Or it was the landlord. I wonder if anyone has checked into the landlord, as he/she would probably a way to get into her apartment.

In the Tara Breckinridge segment, it mentions that the security guard for the gentleman's club assisted each of the ladies to their vehicles. It's possible that Crystal had an admirer, I guess you could call it, that did her in. She must have been a prime target for someone as she was a female living alone in L.A. and was what many would consider attractive.

I totally missed the Flock of Seagulls haircuts on the neighbors. I tend to miss things like that. I'll have to rewatch it and check that out. I guess I was too distracted by my thinking they were morons for not calling the police.
In all fairness to the neighbours, what they did is what most of us would have done in that situation. There has been much psychological research into bystander intervention in emergency situations which indicates that.
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #35
kamy
UM Fanatic
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianUMFan
In all fairness to the neighbours, what they did is what most of us would have done in that situation. There has been much psychological research into bystander intervention in emergency situations which indicates that.
Indicate what? The didn't have to run over, knock down the door and save her! All they had to do was call the police or 911!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #36
wiseguy182

I totally agree with you, kamy.

The neighbors would have had to have been behind at least one locked door, possibly more. plus, they would have had 911 on the phone.

But no, what is really troubling, is that they NEVER called the police. Not even after the believed intruder would have been long gone. Crystal was discovered days later. They could have easily called the police without fear of being attacked themselves, but they did nothing.

Plus, you think they would have looked out their peephole, to see if they could see someone. (knowing that they can see out, but nobody can see in). But they didn't do even that.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #37
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

i never gave this case much though, but watching it recently. The boyfriend seems quite odd, maybe thats just how he is. He does seem like the type who could think up a cover up by claiming she was murdered after they say it was natural(if he was the murderer). He has a pHd, so it could be a way of him saying he is smarter than the authorities. I also always thought she was attractive, that is UNTIL I realized who I thought was attractive was the actress playing her. When I watched it closely and saw her actual pictures, she reminded me of a stripper/hooker type, no offense. L.A. is a dangerous place, when I visited there I was scared at times with my friend, and we're dudes. I can only imagine how dangerous it is for a single female. Also, I CAN believe that the neighbors would hear that and not say anything. LA is the type of town where everyone is there for themselves, not much thought it given to other people usually. They all want their OWN careers, their OWN opportunities, Fame for themselves. If this was somewhere like maybe the midwest, people may have called 911. I have heard of 911 being called on instances much much less than this by neighbors in the midwest. Anyway, its a sad story and I don't know why the family would decide to cremate her if the cause of death was still undetermined??? what??? who would honestly do that. Unless the boyfriend had a large say to the family, maybe saying she always wanted to be cremated bla bla. The boyfriend is a weird dude.
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #38
wiseguy182

It takes so little effort to call 911, that I can't fathom anyone not doing it, especially when a life is involved. Yeah I agree, someone ignoring the situation is more plausible in L.A. than the midwest, but what if it were happening to them? I can't believe the neighbor guy had the chutzpah to show himself on camera.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #39
kamy
UM Fanatic
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
It takes so little effort to call 911, that I can't fathom anyone not doing it, especially when a life is involved. Yeah I agree, someone ignoring the situation is more plausible in L.A. than the midwest, but what if it were happening to them? I can't believe the neighbor guy had the chutzpah to show himself on camera.
C'mon with hair like that.........and those pants....how could he not want to show himself?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #40
RightOnDude
Forum Regular

Its funny how they said they 'Didn't want to get involved' yet they had no problems appearing on a nationally broadcast show, Unsolved Mysteries, under no disguise and using their real names (although "Jet" has to be the dumbest real name I've ever heard) after the fact. The guy who said in "La La Land" everyone is out for themselves and the advancement of THEIR OWN careers and lives was right.
RightOnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #41
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

Here's a section from one of those articles:

"A floor down, Jet Taylor was awakened by his soon-to-be wife--Susan Akin, a former Miss America--who heard the noises at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. Together, they listened to "moaning . . . but high-pitched . . . a muffled shrieking," Taylor said in an interview. "At first, I thought it was a sexual thing going on, an 'S & M' (sadomasochism) thing."

That impression quickly changed. Akin, then 23, a newcomer to Los Angeles pursuing her own screen ambitions, said they listened nearly an hour. The cries were "very rhythmic . . . at intervals--boom, boom, boom," Akin remembered. "All I could think about was somebody taking a cigarette butt to somebody and burning them. My gut reaction was that someone was being tortured."

Here's more from a different article. Notice the very end, with investigators contacting Taylor and apparently trying to get him to agree to their version of an innocent death by sickness, so they can close the books and not have to annoy themselves with actual investigation:

"Jet Taylor, an engineer who lived downstairs from Spencer, said he heard ''incredibly scary" screams coming from Spencer's apartment on Saturday, May 6.

"It was some screaming, and hollering and gagging and choking," Taylor, who now lives in Mississippi, said. "You know how you can associate sounds with something you've heard before? These are sounds I've never heard. They were from her."

Here's a bit more from an article, describing the scene when the body was found:

"The body was discovered about a week later--on Friday, the 13th--after neighbors complained of odors. The deteriorated figure was lying prone on the floor near the couch, dressed only in a red shirt. A police officer at the scene reported suspicion of homicide and "probable sexual assault." Coroner's investigator Debrah Kitchings noticed unusual disarray. Belongings scattered throughout the apartment suggested ransacking--or, possibly, a very disorganized lifestyle.

The body, Kitchings said, was entangled in Spencer's telephone cord, perhaps a sign of physical struggle. Or maybe Spencer had failed in an attempt to summon help, to call for an ambulance. With the body so decayed, not even Spencer's race was certain."

Okay... I know that I said in an earlier post on this thread that I thought Crystal Spencer was murdered. While I still think that, I thought I'd throw out another possible theory.

Given the clues that the sounds from Crystal's apartment continued for something like an hour... in rhythmic intervals... and that she was found partially clothed with the telephone cord wrapped around her... have we discussed the possibility that she may have been ACCIDENTALLY killed during some sexual asphyxia action?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #42
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Given the clues that the sounds from Crystal's apartment continued for something like an hour... in rhythmic intervals... and that she was found partially clothed with the telephone cord wrapped around her... have we discussed the possibility that she may have been ACCIDENTALLY killed during some sexual asphyxia action?
as funny as that is, you could very well be onto something.
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #43
Rapunzel676
Occasional Poster

Contemporary news reports make it clear that the Los Angeles County Coroner's office listed Crystal Spencer's cause of death as "undetermined," not "natural causes." The confusion is probably the result of the ignorance of her boyfriend, Anton Kline, who went on several national television shows using both terms interchangably, which they most certainly are not.

It's not altogether unlikely that, pending further evidence, the pathologist who examined Crystal could not find a definitive cause of death. This can happen when the body is severely decomposed and there are no obvious signs of trauma. No forensic pathologist worth his or her salt is going to call something a murder that could have been an accident, and vice versa. Better to err on the side of caution than wind up blowing somebody's case or losing your credibility.

If she was murdered it was likely by strangulation or suffocation, which can be hard to detect even in intact corpses. After a week enough decomposition has taken place to obscure the more overt indications of manual or ligature strangulation. Suffocation is even harder to detect even in optimal circumstances. As Dr. Baden (who I'm pretty sure doesn't use a butcher knife to slice up brains, though forensic pathologists do shop at restaurant supply stores for other tools) says, when death by one of these methods is suspected, a very thorough examination of the neck structures is necessary.

Even then it may not be obvious to all but the most experienced pathologists. Contrary to popular belief, the hyoid bone does not always break in strangulation cases, particularly in individuals Crystal's age. Combine this with the body's advanced state of decay, and it's understandable why the coroner's office ruled the way it did.

Some sort of erotic asphyxiation doesn't sound out of the question, given the witness testimony and, sadly, Crystal's line of work. Perhaps things got out of hand and when she stopped breathing, the other person panicked and tried to stage the scene to look like something else. News reports say she was "entangled" in the telephone cord, the phone itself off the hook.

One curious side note: There may have been another reason Susan Akin didn't initially report what she heard to police. Apparently violence isn't unknown to her -- her dad was sent to jail for beating his second wife not long after she became Miss America, despite Akin's pleas for lenience. Oh, and this was decades after he and her grandfather were arrested in connection with the infamous "Mississippi Burning" murders of three civil rights workers in 1964. Her father was acquitted and her grandfather never charged, but it kind of makes you wonder if it was really the whole "LA" thing that prevented her from calling 911.
Rapunzel676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #44
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel676
One curious side note: There may have been another reason Susan Akin didn't initially report what she heard to police. Apparently violence isn't unknown to her -- her dad was sent to jail for beating his second wife not long after she became Miss America, despite Akin's pleas for lenience. Oh, and this was decades after he and her grandfather were arrested in connection with the infamous "Mississippi Burning" murders of three civil rights workers in 1964. Her father was acquitted and her grandfather never charged, but it kind of makes you wonder if it was really the whole "LA" thing that prevented her from calling 911.
Interesting theory Rapunzel. Like someone else said, they were afraid to get involved but yet happy to be interviewed on camera in the UM segment. I don't see how they would have to "get involved" though. They could have called 911 and not given their name and ask that an officer check out the apartment building Crystal lived in. Then they would have done all that was expected of them.

Maybe the boyfriend came across as strange to some of you, but he didn't really to me. He seemed soft spoken. I certainly don't think he had anything to do with the crime as he seemed to be the one trying to get a thorough investigation started into her death.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #45
spark19
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Maybe the boyfriend came across as strange to some of you, but he didn't really to me. He seemed soft spoken. I certainly don't think he had anything to do with the crime as he seemed to be the one trying to get a thorough investigation started into her death.
See, I had originally thought the same about the boyfriend, but upon re-watching the segment a few months ago, I found it extremely odd that having been together for as long as they had, he would not call or see Crystal for a week (or was it longer), especially knowing she had been sick. Plus the fact that someone had previously mentioned he used "natural causes" and "undetermined" as causes of death interchangeably (and he has a phD, right?) also strange.
spark19 is offline   Reply With Quote