Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Family Guy links at Sitcoms Online / Family Guy Photo Gallery

Family Guy - Volume 1 (Seasons 1 & 2)

Buy Family Guy - Volume 1 (Seasons 1 & 2) on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 2 (Season 3)

Buy Family Guy - Volume 2 (Season 3) on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 3 (Season 4)

Buy Family Guy - Volume 3 (Season 4) on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 4 (Season 4)

Buy Family Guy - Volume 4 (Season 4) on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 5 (Season 5)

Buy Family Guy - Volume 5 (Season 5) on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 6

Buy Family Guy - Volume 6 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 7

Buy Family Guy - Volume 7 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 8

Buy Family Guy - Volume 8 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 9

Buy Family Guy - Volume 9 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 10

Buy Family Guy - Volume 10 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 11

Buy Family Guy - Volume 11 on DVD
Family Guy - Volume 12

Buy Family Guy - Volume 12 on DVD
Family Guy - Season 13

Buy Family Guy - Season 13 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series > Family Guy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SNL Hosts for December Announced; JEOPARDY! Announces Final Week of Alex Trebek Episodes Then Ken Jennings Guest Host Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Comes to an End (Again); SNL Lines Up December Hosts
Young Sheldon Starts on Nick at Nite on Monday; Pluto TV Adds 6 More Classic TV Channels
2020 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
HBO Max Comedy Search Party Brings Out the Guest Stars; CW Seed Reunites CW 90210 Series
Catch Last Season's Holiday Sitcom The Moodys Before Season 2; Tiffani Thiessen Hosting Deliciousness, Spin-off of Ridiculousness

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October/November)

Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season Mom - The Complete Seventh Season The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

08/04 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Eighth Season
08/04 - The Neighborhood - Season One
08/11 - Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens - Season 1
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
09/01 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 14
09/01 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete Second Season
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Mom - The Complete Seventh Season
09/15 - South Side - Season 1
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Second Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Third Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Fourth Season
09/22 - Man with a Plan - Season Three
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV YouTube Star Arif Zahir Announced as New ‘Cleveland Brown’

Voice Actor Mike Henry Stepping Down from ‘Cleveland Brown’ Role
by Bruce Haring
June 26, 2020

Voice actor Mike Henry said Friday on Twitter that he will no longer voice the Cleveland Brown character on Fox’s animated "Family Guy".

Henry, who is white, has voiced the African-American Brown since the show’s inception in 1999. He also voiced the character and his son, Rallo Tubbs, on the spinoff, "The Cleveland Show", which ran for four years on Fox.

It’s been an honor to play Cleveland on Family Guy for 20 years. I love this character, but persons of color should play characters of color. Therefore, I will be stepping down from the role,” Henry wrote.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/family-...le-1202971407/
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesG; 09-25-2020 at 02:21 PM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
king of comedy

About time. When they hire a black actor, I hope they make him more real.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Wendell Pierce pitches himself for Family Guy's Cleveland Brown role

"Now that Mike Henry has consciously given up the role of Cleveland,I am publicly starting a campaign to voice the role myself on The Cleveland Show," The Wire alum tweeted Sunday, tagging Seth MacFarlane's Twitter account with a "#WendellIsCleveland" hashtag. Henry stepped down from his longtime role of Black character Cleveland Brown on Friday, saying a "persons of color should play characters of color."
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Arif Zahir Replaces Mike Henry as Cleveland Brown
by Nellie Andreeva
September 25, 2020

Fox’s "Family Guy" has recast the role of Cleveland Brown with YouTube star Arif Zahir.

Mike Henry will remain a voice cast series regular on "Family Guy", He will continue to play Bruce the Performance Artist, Herbert the Pedophile and a slew of ancillary roles and likely will help create new characters to voice.

Zahir will begin voicing Cleveland for Season 19 episodes which have just begun production. In Season 18, whose episodes had already been completed or were in advanced stages of animation when Henry exited the Cleveland role, will continue to feature Henry as the character.

The season premieres Sunday night with the show’s 350th episode.

Firstly, I’m eternally grateful to have received this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Zahir said. “When I heard that Mike Henry was stepping down from the role of Cleveland Brown — my favorite cartoon character of all time — I was shocked and saddened, assuming we’d never see him again. When I learned I would get to take over the role? Overabundant gratitude. To Mike, you created something truly special, and I promise I will do my absolute best to honor your legacy.

To Rich Appel, Alec Sulkin and Seth MacFarlane, thank you for this incredible gift. And to the millions of fans who love this show, I promise not to let you down.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/family-...es-1234585135/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
king of comedy

He looks nice. I know he'll do a great job.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

New Family Guy star Arif Zahir on becoming the new Cleveland Brown: "It was like a month or a month-and-a- half long process"

“It was a surreal moment," he says. "It was like a month or a month-and-a- half long process. It was over Zoom when they offered me the part. I wanted to scream as loud as I could. It felt unreal.” Zahir says he felt that studying Cleveland for his YouTube channel for the past seven years "gave me the chance to sit down, nitpick, and really get it right.”

Arif Zahir believes he landed Family Guy's Cleveland Brown role because he studied him as both a voice impressionist and an actor

Family Guy bosses Rich Appel and Alec Sulkin, who were considering phasing out Cleveland after Mike Henry exited the role, weren't aware of Zahir's YouTube channel where he did numerous impressions including that of Cleveland. It was Family Guy director Greg Colton who stumbled on his channel and alerted them to Zahir's work. Appel says Seth MacFarlane had set the bar high for Cleveland. “Seth was always very specific that he said, we would never just cast a great impressionist who wasn’t also a really talented comic actor,” Appel tells Variety. “And we wouldn’t cast a great comic actor who couldn’t capture not just the voice, but some of the part of the role that Mike Henry had nurtured for almost 20 years.” Appel says of finding Zahir's channel: “We did a deep dive, and certainly decided right then that if we were to recast Cleveland, obviously, we would have to consider him. To be fair to Arif, this was a role that our casting folks cast a wide net. And we had a bunch of really talented actors audition for. As each stage of this process progressed, the list narrowed and narrowed until there was one person on that list.” Meanwhile, Zahir had dropped out arts college because of his YouTube channel's success. Zahir believes studying Cleveland as an actor, and not just as a voice impressionist, game him an edge. “I try to put my personality and be really animated in my voices,” he said. “I felt like a lot of people who did Cleveland Brown’s impression lacked that. I studied it from the beginning of the Cleveland Show to watching Family Guy back in the late ’90s and seeing (Henry’s) performance change over the years. It’s really lived-in more than it was. I couldn’t help but think a lot of people that probably had auditioned didn’t really take the notes as much as I did. I really studied every little nuance that Mike’s performance had as Cleveland. I played back clips of the show, and matched the pitch as best as I could. I would just sit there for hours and just play it, pause, play it, pause.”

Last edited by TMC; 10-15-2020 at 03:10 AM.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote