Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes
FX Orders 3rd Season of Comedy; Adult Swim Brings Back Haddish and Wong Series
Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #16
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,194
Default

I remember Blair being concerned that she broke Jo's engine, and realizing what an "" accident it was. That's what gives her credibility for being so upset at Jo for carelessly ruining her dress.

Per the check, it would have been worse if she hadn't offered to pay for it. If I were Jo and Blair gave me a check to buy another duplicate engine that doesn't waste any of my time or money, who would I be to complain? lol

But size does matter. If Blair had smashed Jo's motorcycle and handed her a check, that would seem worse to me than just an engine (and, if she acted blase about that.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #17
Christopher
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15, 2001
Posts: 14,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
I remember Blair being concerned that she broke Jo's engine, and realizing what an "" accident it was.

It would have been worse if she hadn't offered to pay for it. If I were Jo and Blair gave me a check to buy another duplicate engine that doesn't waste any of my time or money, who would I be to complain? lol

She was concerned about what Jo was going to do to her Nah, I get that is Blair's way of solving things. When comparing these two situations though, how was Jo to know all of a sudden Blair would care about a material item? Blair has always been about money. She's never shown concern over her belongings except her clothes.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #18
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
She was concerned about what Jo was going to do to her


Although, I will say that I would have no qualms over this if it had been a season 2 episode, back before they really knew each other well.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,251
Heart BLAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
WOW! Never seen this one before and yes it's a really good one!! I loved it!

Natalie with the stuffed animals. Just the visual of that was

But Jo....Oh Jo Jo Jo!....Bad...very very BAD! I HATED her here. Really HATED how blase she was to Blair about that watch. And it was plain how hurt Blair was by that. I felt SO bad for her.

It seemed a bit out of character for Jo at this point in the series. Maybe in the first couple of seasons this story would've worked better. But at this point, Jo knew Blair pretty well underneath the snobby facade she shows everyone.

Of all people, Jo would've known the respect of someone else's property no matter what the cost of it or if it was easily replaceable. She showed ZERO regard for that and it was too much out of character for her.

I'm glad they resolved it in the end, but even the ending was a little too pat for my taste. In real life that friendship would've been forever fractured by Jo's attitude. Blair just let it go too easily.

I guess she's the better friend than Jo. Loved the episode though...like Jo a little less now and love Blair more!

Natalie's impartiality was perfection. I loved how she handled the whole situation. She was the most adult about it.

Also, in this episode, I seen more than ever how people compare Tootie with Rose Nylund. She was pretty annoying in this one!...Oh shut up Rose!



You have spoken from my heart once again cfr1970!

JO went way too far in this episode, and i HATE it when someone is nasty or cruel to BLAIR!

that goes for TOOTIE too: she really annoyed me in this episode, when she says to JO "I'll handle BLAIR, leave it to me" (she made her sound like the bad guy man!)

And yes, NAT handled the situation with maturity and dignity: after all, we all know she has a 'slightly' preference for JO (probably cos they've very similar) but still, she was very supportive and loyal to both her friends!

TOOTIE, on the other hand normally has a 'preference' towards BLAIR than JO (probably cos she's similar to the blond princess and scared of the Bronx girl ha ha ha!)

That BLAIR is a better friend than JO doesn't surprised me at all: she has always shown how much she cares about the 'Bronx girl', and has seek for her advice more than i can remember....

PS: i'm glad to read your love for BLAIR is getting stronger (that girl has a heart of gold!)
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #20
cfr1970
Member
Senior Member
 
cfr1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2017
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 2,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
You have spoken from my heart once again cfr1970!

JO went way too far in this episode, and i HATE it when someone is nasty or cruel to BLAIR!

that goes for TOOTIE too: she really annoyed me in this episode, when she says to JO "I'll handle BLAIR, leave it to me" (she made her sound like the bad guy man!)

And yes, NAT handled the situation with maturity and dignity: after all, we all know she has a 'slightly' preference for JO (probably cos they've very similar) but still, she was very supportive and loyal to both her friends!

TOOTIE, on the other hand normally has a 'preference' towards BLAIR than JO (probably cos she's similar to the blond princess and scared of the Bronx girl ha ha ha!)

That BLAIR is a better friend than JO doesn't surprised me at all: she has always shown how much she cares about the 'Bronx girl', and has seek for her advice more than i can remember....

PS: i'm glad to read your love for BLAIR is getting stronger (that girl has a heart of gold!)
I didn't really think much about it but you're right. Tootie took Jo's side to the point of defending her in court over Blair! At least Natalie stayed impartial and wanted none of it. I liked that about her and she went up a couple of notches with me. And Mindy Cohn's acting has improved a lot from the previous seasons too.

Blair was probably also hurt that Tootie chose Jo's side so quickly when she should've seen how Jo's insensitive reaction obviously hurt Blair. She didn't seem very sympathetic to her at all. Bad Tootie!
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,251
Oh No BLAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
You know me so well I'm glad The Facts of Life didn't have a lot of those. It is boring watching an episode where it's just clips from previous episodes.



Blair did act casual about breaking Jo's engine. I don't remember what was shown in syndication but how Blair broke it was she stored her belongings under Jo's bed and when she went to pull them out, she knocked over the table that was near Jo's bed causing the engine to break. When Jo was appearing upset, instead of saying sorry, Blair handed her a blank check telling Jo to fill in the amount. Jo reinforced what we all know, Blair is about money and money is the answer to everything.

Now you're really being unfair towards BLAIR: she was definitely 'UPSET' about breaking JO's engine (she even began to whimper when TOOTIE told her JO was back) so much that she even ignored the dress MRS G brought her lol!

BLAIR said "Who cares about the dress!" And if that's not showing concern about JO's belongings, then i don't know....

You obviously only see 'faults' in BLAIR and JO is Miss 'perfect' or?

PS: about the blank check, i thought that was quite classy of BLAIR, she says "it was my fault so i will pay for my mistake", but JO always take it the wrong way when money is involved!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #22
Christopher
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15, 2001
Posts: 14,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
Now you're really being unfair towards BLAIR: she was definitely 'UPSET' about breaking JO's engine (she even began to whimper when TOOTIE told her JO was back) so much that she even ignored the dress MRS G brought her lol!

BLAIR said "Who cares about the dress!" And if that's not showing concern about JO's belongings, then i don't know....

You obviously only see 'faults' in BLAIR and JO is Miss 'perfect' or?

PS: about the blank check, i thought that was quite classy of BLAIR, she says "it was my fault so i will pay for my mistake", but JO always take it the wrong way when money is involved!
Blair whimpered because they were discussing how hot headed Jo is and was worried Jo would go postal on her. Her saying who cares about the dress was not about Jo's feelings, it was about Jo's reaction. Blair is one of my favorite characters as well, but you can't deny her first choice for every problem was using money to make it go away. Also Blair never said that line. Her quote was, "it's ok. We'll simply buy you a new engine" when she saw Jo was upset. She then gets her check book and hands Jo a blank check saying to fill in the amount. Natalie then says "bad move Blair". That kind of response is buying your way out of a problem you created instead of trying to resolve it like friends.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,251
Cool BLAIR + JO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Blair whimpered because they were discussing how hot headed Jo is and was worried Jo would go postal on her. Her saying who cares about the dress was not about Jo's feelings, it was about Jo's reaction. Blair is one of my favorite characters as well, but you can't deny her first choice for every problem was using money to make it go away. Also Blair never said that line. Her quote was, "it's ok. We'll simply buy you a new engine" when she saw Jo was upset. She then gets her check book and hands Jo a blank check saying to fill in the amount. Natalie then says "bad move Blair". That kind of response is buying your way out of a problem you created instead of trying to resolve it like friends.

Yes, i see your point of view now: BLAIR does tend to ease herself out of a situation by solving anything with money, very true....

NAT is very perceptive about it, and that's why i love her character too: she always tries to find a way to help her two older friends, and the prove for it is that every time JO and BLAIR have an argument, she steps in the middle to mend it!

But i still believe MONICA and DAVID have a lot to answer for BLAIR's behaviour: their only answer has always been to shove her with money (like on the episode 'Daddy's girl' when he practically throws money at her) and don't get me wrong cos i like them too and they mean well, but as parental figure they have less to offer.

I guess not everyone can be MRS G ha ha ha!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #24
Christopher
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15, 2001
Posts: 14,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
But i still believe MONICA and DAVID have a lot to answer for BLAIR's behaviour: their only answer has always been to shove her with money (like on the episode 'Daddy's girl' when he practically throws money at her) and don't get me wrong cos i like them too and they mean well, but as parental figure they have less to offer.


Very true. Blair says a lot that her dad will pay for something. It's obvious she was grown up watching him use money to get what he wanted. Monica had a lot of marriages and boyfriends. Blair took that trait from her mom as she entered the dating field. She didn't have actual role models until Mrs. Garrett came along.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #25
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Monica had a lot of marriages and boyfriends.
Well, we know she had 3 marriages, but we don't know about boyfriends. We just know she advised Blair to get out there by "playing the field".

She doesn't look the type to have "boyfriends". She's so grown up and sophisticated and elegant it's hard to picture her having a "boyfriend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
She didn't have actual role models until Mrs. Garrett came along.
Though they were in her life they weren't the best role models, sure.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 7,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Well, we know she had 3 marriages, but we don't know about boyfriends. We just know she advised Blair to get out there by "playing the field".

She doesn't look the type to have "boyfriends". She's so grown up and sophisticated and elegant it's hard to picture her having a "boyfriend".
Well, how, then, shall we refer to Mr. Justin Branch, Nina's father?
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Well, how, then, shall we refer to Mr. Justin Branch, Nina's father?
A sinful flirtation!

(and Prototype Monica is easier to picture having boyfriends than Official Monica)
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #28
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,251
Nodsmiley BLAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Very true. Blair says a lot that her dad will pay for something. It's obvious she was grown up watching him use money to get what he wanted. Monica had a lot of marriages and boyfriends. Blair took that trait from her mom as she entered the dating field. She didn't have actual role models until Mrs. Garrett came along.

Well saidChristopher!

BLAIR didn't have any role model (instead she got shipped to boarding schools at an early age) and when MRS G came along she was already 15.

Actually, on the episode 'Gamma gamma' from season 5 (when MRS G and BLAIR have their first fight) MRS G even tells TOOTIE that she 'helped' raise BLAIR, which implicates that she was an important mother figure to the 'spoiled rich girl'.

PS: all MONICA ever was to BLAIR, was a 'play pal' telling her own daughter how to seduce men lol!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #29
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 9,194
Default

^---That's not fair to Monica. She was more than that.

And her parents were role models because they were in her life. You can say they weren't good role models if you want to, but they were what she knew growing up, so they were what role models she knew until Mrs. Garrett came along.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #30
valentina warner
Member
Senior Member
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 1,251
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
^---That's not fair to Monica. She was more than that.

And her parents were role models because they were in her life. You can say they weren't good role models if you want to, but they were what she knew growing up, so they were what role models she knew until Mrs. Garrett came along.

Okay maybe i was too harsh and i do like MONICA, but i see her more as an 'aunt' to BLAIR than a mother, sorry!

On another note, i like DAVID too: he's warm and you can see he truly worship his daughter (you see that on the later series) and he is soo HANDSOME too!

And yes, i believe MRS G had a great influence in BLAIR's life when she finally came along.....
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.