Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021
Summer of Me Returns June 1 on MeTV; FXX Orders More Dave
CBS Upfront 2020-21: Fall 2020 Schedule; Remembering Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
cfr1970

Default "The Rich Aren't Different"

WOW! Never seen this one before and yes it's a really good one!! I loved it!

Natalie with the stuffed animals. Just the visual of that was

But Jo....Oh Jo Jo Jo!....Bad...very very BAD! I HATED her here. Really HATED how blase she was to Blair about that watch. And it was plain how hurt Blair was by that. I felt SO bad for her.

It seemed a bit out of character for Jo at this point in the series. Maybe in the first couple of seasons this story would've worked better. But at this point, Jo knew Blair pretty well underneath the snobby facade she shows everyone.

Of all people, Jo would've known the respect of someone else's property no matter what the cost of it or if it was easily replaceable. She showed ZERO regard for that and it was too much out of character for her.

I'm glad they resolved it in the end, but even the ending was a little too pat for my taste. In real life that friendship would've been forever fractured by Jo's attitude. Blair just let it go too easily.

I guess she's the better friend than Jo. Loved the episode though...like Jo a little less now and love Blair more!

Natalie's impartiality was perfection. I loved how she handled the whole situation. She was the most adult about it.

Also, in this episode, I seen more than ever how people compare Tootie with Rose Nylund. She was pretty annoying in this one!...Oh shut up Rose!
cfr1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Yeah, Jo's out of character. The real Jo was gone this episode, replaced by Pod Person Jo.

Not my favorite episode, because of the Jo weirdness.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yeah, Jo's out of character. The real Jo was gone this episode, replaced by Pod Person Jo.

Not my favorite episode, because of the Jo weirdness.
I'm glad it's not just me saying WTF at Jo. I never saw her be so mean and wrong as in this one. I did like the episode though, only because we saw how Blair was hurt by the whole thing.

Maybe with all that she's taken on with Shakespeare class, Photo class, Student Council, managing a radio station and pizza making, she's just burnt out and extra crabby LOL.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
It's what?? You WHAT??!

Quote:
But Jo....Oh Jo Jo Jo!....Bad...very very BAD! I HATED her here. Really HATED how blase she was to Blair about that watch. And it was plain how hurt Blair was by that. I felt SO bad for her.
Okay, [phew], I'm back on board with ya now! Yes, I too hated how Jo acted in this one---in a way it's like she was doing "reverse snobbery".

See now why we've been deriding this one?? lol

Quote:
It seemed a bit out of character for Jo at this point in the series.
VERY out of character.

Quote:
Maybe in the first couple of seasons this story would've worked better. But at this point, Jo knew Blair pretty well underneath the snobby facade she shows everyone.
Oo, that's a great point---this would have made a great season 2 episode.

Quote:
Of all people, Jo would've known the respect of someone else's property no matter what the cost of it or if it was easily replaceable. She showed ZERO regard for that and it was too much out of character for her.

Quote:
Maybe with all that she's taken on with Shakespeare class, Photo class, Student Council, managing a radio station and pizza making, she's just burnt out and extra crabby LOL.

Also, I propose we petition who owns the rights to the show re-title this episode "The Rich Aren't Different (Well, Okay, They Are Because They Have Money, But They Still Have Feelings Too)"

Thoughts?

'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me saying WTF at Jo. I never saw her be so mean and wrong as in this one.
Yeah, luckily I think we never see Jo this selfish and rude ever again. Like, this was so over the top that it didn't feel realistic.

Quote:
I did like the episode though, only because we saw how Blair was hurt by the whole thing.
Yeah, the Blair parts were fine.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yeah, luckily I think we never see Jo this selfish and rude ever again. Like, this was so over the top that it didn't feel realistic.

Yeah, the Blair parts were fine.

After Nancy M got her raise, the producers were all like. Ok, she got what she wanted, but now we're gonna make the audience HATE her!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
After Nancy M got her raise, the producers were all like. Ok, she got what she wanted, but now we're gonna make the audience HATE her!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Natalie with the stuffed animals. Just the visual of that was

It seemed a bit out of character for Jo at this point in the series. Maybe in the first couple of seasons this story would've worked better. But at this point, Jo knew Blair pretty well underneath the snobby facade she shows everyone.

I'm glad they resolved it in the end, but even the ending was a little too pat for my taste. In real life that friendship would've been forever fractured by Jo's attitude. Blair just let it go too easily.

I guess she's the better friend than Jo. Loved the episode though...like Jo a little less now and love Blair more!

Natalie's impartiality was perfection. I loved how she handled the whole situation. She was the most adult about it.

Also, in this episode, I seen more than ever how people compare Tootie with Rose Nylund. She was pretty annoying in this one!...Oh shut up Rose!
First, remember Tootie came first I definitely see the resemblance The Golden Girls stole from The Facts of Life with their characters and format of the show when comparing both.

As for the episode, remember the season 5 finale where Blair broke Jo's engine? Her response was to throw money Jo's way as if that fixes everything. Blair has always been about money not showing any real value to material items. I don't think Jo was being bad, I think she was under the impression Blair was going to do her usual routine of "I'll just buy another one". Blair has acted that way throughout the entire series so I don't think Jo's true intention over the matter was to show disrespect.

I thought the episode was funny. My favorite scene is Blair telling Jo she ruined her watch and Jo replies, "No I didn't. It's a stopwatch. It stopped."
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I definitely see the resemblance The Golden Girls stole from The Facts of Life with their characters and format of the show when comparing both.
Alleging!

What's interesting is that you always see shows compared to GG, not FOL. I guess because GG truly established the "quartet" ensemble, whereas FOL always had 5 or more, and several shows did do the quartet ensemble formula.

Quote:
As for the episode, remember the season 5 finale where Blair broke Jo's engine? Her response was to throw money Jo's way as if that fixes everything.
Well, it does fix the engine, lol.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
cfr1970

Quote:
First, remember Tootie came first I definitely see the resemblance The Golden Girls stole from The Facts of Life with their characters and format of the show when comparing both.

As for the episode, remember the season 5 finale where Blair broke Jo's engine? Her response was to throw money Jo's way as if that fixes everything. Blair has always been about money not showing any real value to material items. I don't think Jo was being bad, I think she was under the impression Blair was going to do her usual routine of "I'll just buy another one". Blair has acted that way throughout the entire series so I don't think Jo's true intention over the matter was to show disrespect.

I thought the episode was funny. My favorite scene is Blair telling Jo she ruined her watch and Jo replies, "No I didn't. It's a stopwatch. It stopped."
Now that's another episode I have to watch again. When it played recently on Antenna TV, I thought it was just your boring clip/flashback episode (I know even you hate them from your GG dislike!)...So I didn't pay attention to it.

If Blair acted blase about breaking Jo's engine and tossed money at her, then that changes a LOT about what happened in TRAD. From that perspective, then Jo's attitude would be more acceptable.

I could now see how she'd be genuinely surprised at Blair being hurt by Jo's carelessness about the broken watch. HOWEVER....Jo did take that watch without even asking. That alone shows disrespect fro Blair.

It doesn't matter if you're rich, poor or in between, friends ASK before borrowing from each other.

Except Natalie...she's exempt from it since she stole all Tootie's savings to invest in Jo's pizza business and Tootie wasn't all that upset....You know, the more I think about it, the more that Rose comparison keeps getting reinforced with me!
Old 03-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Now that's another episode I have to watch again. When it played recently on Antenna TV, I thought it was just your boring clip/flashback episode (I know even you hate them from your GG dislike!)...So I didn't pay attention to it.
For the record, I love "clip shows" and flashback shows. They're so cozy! Who doesn't love memory lane?? (well, not everyone apparently )

Quote:
If Blair acted blase about breaking Jo's engine and tossed money at her, then that changes a LOT about what happened in TRAD. From that perspective, then Jo's attitude would be more acceptable.
Well, she didn't "toss money at her". And at least she was trying to "do right" by the engine, lol.

Quote:
Except Natalie...she's exempt from it since she stole all Tootie's savings to invest in Jo's pizza business and Tootie wasn't all that upset....You know, the more I think about it, the more that Rose comparison keeps getting reinforced with me!
No, Tootie was definitely perturbed at that---as she should've been!

But, she was also the youngest.

But Tootie is obviously much more "with it" than Rose, lol.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #12
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
(I know even you hate them from your GG dislike!)
You know me so well I'm glad The Facts of Life didn't have a lot of those. It is boring watching an episode where it's just clips from previous episodes.

Quote:

I could now see how she'd be genuinely surprised at Blair being hurt by Jo's carelessness about the broken watch. HOWEVER....Jo did take that watch without even asking. That alone shows disrespect fro Blair.

It doesn't matter if you're rich, poor or in between, friends ASK before borrowing from each other.
Blair did act casual about breaking Jo's engine. I don't remember what was shown in syndication but how Blair broke it was she stored her belongings under Jo's bed and when she went to pull them out, she knocked over the table that was near Jo's bed causing the engine to break. When Jo was appearing upset, instead of saying sorry, Blair handed her a blank check telling Jo to fill in the amount. Jo reinforced what we all know, Blair is about money and money is the answer to everything.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
Lorimar Television

Quote:
LOL!!!!!! Lost girls revenge
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
For the record, I love "clip shows" and flashback shows. They're so cozy! Who doesn't love memory lane?? (well, not everyone apparently )

Well, she didn't "toss money at her". And at least she was trying to "do right" by the engine, lol.

No, Tootie was definitely perturbed at that---as she should've been!

But, she was also the youngest.

But Tootie is obviously much more "with it" than Rose, lol.
Yeah, she was but she STILL allowed Natalie to use her money without asking it back. She showed no backbone and it's exactly how Rose would've acted if Blanche took her money.

Actually no, change that....Rose would've been pissed and got her revenge like she did with Fernando. Tootie was more of a pushover in comparison.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Well, she didn't "toss money at her". And at least she was trying to "do right" by the engine, lol
She told Jo it was ok that the engine broke and that she would buy her a new one by handing her a blank check. That in my definition is tossing money at her. Instead of acting responsible saying she's sorry and asked Jo what she wants, she made the decision for her.