Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roku Adds Over 100 Linear Channels; Remembering Mary Pat Gleason and Peggy Pope
Fri-Yay: Space Force on Netflix Thoughts; BET+ Comedy Gets Binge Premiere
Antenna TV's Coach Father's Day Marathon; The CW Acquires Patrick Dempsey Thriller for Fall 2020
HBO Max Comedy Starts Strong; Alexa & Katie Returns in June for Final Episodes
Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #16
WriterChick78
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
Plus she was on the student council, taking photography courses, Shakespeare courses. It's a wonder she had any time to spare working at Edna's Edibles!
No wonder she went on strike, lol!
WriterChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
'80sSitcoms

'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post

cfr, you'll appreciate the DVDs so much! I know FOL and "Golden Girls" and "Mama's Family" so well that it really hits you when the "director's cut" material is suddenly on the screen!

I can't wait to get those dvd's and have UNEDITED episodes!! I'm going to use some of my stimulus check when it comes to get the complete set. What better way to do my part to jump start the economy!

It dropped 5 bucks to $80.60 on Amazon so hopefully it'll keep going lower.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #19
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. I'm sure i'll have tons more questions watching these edited episodes until I get the box set. 5-6 minutes snipped from each show can really get you lost.

Do you watch the 4 episodes in order every day or just pop in any dvd at random and play what's on it? I'm like that with All in the Family. I must have seen each episode dozens of times, but I still watch 2 episodes each night right before bed.

I grew up on the show and Archie & Edith remind me of my grandparents so it's comforting to watch. I view in episode order each night and when I reach the end, I start over from the beginning again.

I watch in order. Today I just finished season 1. I don't play by discs though. I have the whole set in digital copy on my hard drive that's plugged into my TV. There's so many episodes of The Facts of Life and it's not always the same show. I think this is how I never get bored with it because it changes shifts either every year or every couple of years. I think it does a good job staying fresh until season 9 when it just doesn't seem to feel right anymore.

I grew up on The Facts of Life. I think why I really love this show is because of the friendship the girls have and their need to want to stay in each other's lives. Plus it shows on camera that these women really enjoyed working together. I think it was 80sSitcoms I told this to, you can see in some shows like The Golden Girls and Alice onscreen where performers don't like working with each other. You don't see that on The Facts of Life and instead you see when they get together how much they like the other in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterChick78 View Post
I've done that with Three's Company myself. It's the first sitcom I ever remember watching in my life and I have loved it for 40 years. It always played somewhere on some channel on my lifetime, usually at night, so I developed that habit. Now they moved it too early on Antenna and knocked it down to one episode a day ��

Not to be contradictory, but they did say that the record player was broken and that Jo couldn't fix it. I, too, watched it today and heard that. I have two questions though: Why didn't they tell us what Jo's teacher thought of her filling the airtime? I was expecting him to come in and praise her and her friends for their creativity under pressure. My second question is this: what college would encourage a student with a full course load to stay up all night without sleep?
I like Three's Company too. I like the Chrissy seasons the best. Whenever I put it on, I go to those years most of the time. I wish there would have been more Chrissy / Furley seasons than just the one. The Ropers are ok, but I like Furley best and Chrissy over the other two replacements for her.

As for your questions, I don't think the purpose of the story was what the teacher thought of her performance that night. It was more of her taking the class seriously since she was putting other things before it. For the second question, I'm sure they worked around her college schedule in order for her to be able to do that. Maybe they had her do it on a Saturday night since most colleges don't do classes on weekends?

Quote:
=I honestly don't see how you do it. I mean, more power to you, lol. I just know I couldn't do that with even my most favorite show.

Yup that can come in handy, lol.

cfr, you'll appreciate the DVDs so much! I know FOL and "Golden Girls" and "Mama's Family" so well that it really hits you when the "director's cut" material is suddenly on the screen!
It's easier to watch shows more often when they're not cut and don't have those annoying animated onscreen ads that networks love. I grew up with this show though. It's like a security blanket. As long as I have this show to watch, it'll always keep me happy

Agreed about seeing the cut material you don't see on TV. There's still scenes in the episodes I'm finding that I don't remember in either syndicated version on USA and N@N.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #20
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Not to be contradictory, but they did say that the record player was broken and that Jo couldn't fix it.
But if Tootie could bring records, why couldn't she have brought her record player? We know they had one. They could easily have disconnected the cable from the old record player and attached it to a back-up. Then they wouldn't have had to talk for five hours.

Quote:
My second question is this: what college would encourage a student with a full course load to stay up all night without sleep?
Langley, the same school where they use the same classrooms as Eastland!
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #21
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
No wonder she went on strike, lol!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #22
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
I'm going to use some of my stimulus check when it comes to get the complete set. What better way to do my part to jump start the economy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Plus it shows on camera that these women really enjoyed working together. I think it was 80sSitcoms I told this to, you can see in some shows like The Golden Girls and Alice onscreen where performers don't like working with each other.
I think that's more from fans "wanting" to see that on GG or A, so they do. I know with GG fans it's the whole "Bea didn't like Betty" thing (which is blown out of proportion). But Bea was still professional about it. And the character of Dorothy did not suffer fools, lol. I could see some fans saying Nancy didn't really get along with Lisa just because of how their characters are, but of course (luckily) we know that wouldn't be true. But all it takes is a rumor and wanting to see something you think is there.

William Frawley and Vivian Vance HATED each other on "I Love Lucy", yet they were professional in front of the cameras and played their roles how they were written.

Quote:
I like Three's Company too. I like the Chrissy seasons the best.
Me too, though I don't seek TC to watch out.

Quote:
I grew up with this show though. It's like a security blanket. As long as I have this show to watch, it'll always keep me happy
I think that goes for most of us.

Quote:
Agreed about seeing the cut material you don't see on TV. There's still scenes in the episodes I'm finding that I don't remember in either syndicated version on USA and N@N.
I noticed that with different syndicated prints of "The Golden Girls". Very interesting.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #23
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I think that's more from fans "wanting" to see that on GG or A, so they do. I know with GG fans it's the whole "Bea didn't like Betty" thing (which is blown out of proportion). But Bea was still professional about it. And the character of Dorothy did not suffer fools, lol. I could see some fans saying Nancy didn't really get along with Lisa just because of how their characters are, but of course (luckily) we know that wouldn't be true. But all it takes is a rumor and wanting to see something you think is there.

William Frawley and Vivian Vance HATED each other on "I Love Lucy", yet they were professional in front of the cameras and played their roles how they were written.

Me too, though I don't seek TC to watch out.

I think that goes for most of us.

I noticed that with different syndicated prints of "The Golden Girls". Very interesting.

Jo was definitely written to dislike Blair in the beginning but they made so many episodes where we see Jo care about Blair. They snap at each other, yes, but in the end they really care about each other. Their friendship in real life really showed onscreen. All their friendships in real life did. That's what makes it special As for Bea and Betty, the scenes where Dorothy snaps at Rose or hits her on the head, you can see Bea's facial expression where she wishes she could do more than just that to hurt Betty They're not rumors. Betty went on record proving the rumors Bea didn't like her. What's worst is everyone felt relieved when they got to do The Golden Palace because Bea wasn't there. I'm glad the girls of The Facts of Life didn't have this.

I stopped watching I Love Lucy years ago so I don't remember how they were onscreen. I don't care for Lucy always getting spanked by Ricky just because she wants to do something for herself.

How many minutes are shows in syndication now? They were 20 minutes back in 2000. I remember ION's syndicated versions of Alice were like 18 or 19 minutes I believe. I don't get how syndication can air older sitcoms that ran from 24 to 26 minutes and trim them down to 19 minutes expecting them to make sense. And how many networks have editors doing the trimming that appreciated these classic shows? Or worst, old enough to remember them. God 80s we're getting so old
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #24
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Their friendship in real life really showed onscreen. All their friendships in real life did.
But even if they didn't, that's their job, to "pretend" it, lol.

Quote:
As for Bea and Betty, the scenes where Dorothy snaps at Rose or hits her on the head, you can see Bea's facial expression where she wishes she could do more than just that to hurt Betty
See, I don't see that. I see her playing Dorothy as written. So I'm glad I don't let a different thought affect my enjoyment of it since it's one of my favorite shows.

Quote:
They're not rumors. Betty went on record proving the rumors Bea didn't like her.
No no, with "rumors" I meant if anyone had started a rumor about Nancy and Lisa, as an example. I know Bea wasn't "fond" of Betty, as Betty puts it. With what's been shared, I think that fits more than "disliked" (I really remember a Larry King interview Betty did).

Quote:
What's worst is everyone felt relieved when they got to do The Golden Palace because Bea wasn't there. I'm glad the girls of The Facts of Life didn't have this.
Well Bea was sooooo unhappy the last couple of seasons doing GG. So no wonder a change was a relief, lol.

Quote:
I stopped watching I Love Lucy years ago so I don't remember how they were onscreen. I don't care for Lucy always getting spanked by Ricky just because she wants to do something for herself.
Yeah, I haven't actively watched L in years. And I always "liked" Lucy but loved Ethel.

Quote:
How many minutes are shows in syndication now? They were 20 minutes back in 2000. I remember ION's syndicated versions of Alice were like 18 or 19 minutes I believe. I don't get how syndication can air older sitcoms that ran from 24 to 26 minutes and trim them down to 19 minutes expecting them to make sense. And how many networks have editors doing the trimming that appreciated these classic shows? Or worst, old enough to remember them. God 80s we're getting so old
We're just..."maturing". I just delve into my favorite '80s shows too much to think about it!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #25
valentina warner

Nodsmiley BLAIR + JO

Quote:
Jo was definitely written to dislike Blair in the beginning but they made so many episodes where we see Jo care about Blair. They snap at each other, yes, but in the end they really care about each other. Their friendship in real life really showed onscreen. All their friendships in real life did. That's what makes it special As for Bea and Betty, the scenes where Dorothy snaps at Rose or hits her on the head, you can see Bea's facial expression where she wishes she could do more than just that to hurt Betty They're not rumors. Betty went on record proving the rumors Bea didn't like her. What's worst is everyone felt relieved when they got to do The Golden Palace because Bea wasn't there. I'm glad the girls of The Facts of Life didn't have this.

Very true: i always felt that the friendship between JO and BLAIR was deep and real, and if they snapped at each other it's because they really cared for one another.

BLAIR even said, on the episode 'Magnificent obsession' that it wasn't TED's place to tell her that she wasn't 'perfect', in which JO replies "you're right, it's my place!" (Ha ha ha! that shows how she won't let anyone insult 'her princess' but her).

And yes, i believe the core of 4 and CHARLOTTE RAE were close friends in real life! (you can see how much chemistry the 5 of them have on and off screen)
valentina warner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 AM   #26
bellbm
Frequent Poster

This was one of my favorite episodes. I think because I always wanted to work in radio.

Season 6 had a lot of good episodes. I feel like they finally got out Of the school theme and did a lot more “adventure” type episodes in season 6.
bellbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #27
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbm View Post
This was one of my favorite episodes. I think because I always wanted to work in radio.
Do you work in radio now? If so, that would have been a cool sitcom inspiration!

Quote:
Season 6 had a lot of good episodes. I feel like they finally got out Of the school theme and did a lot more “adventure” type episodes in season 6.
They definitely needed to expand outside of school if they were going to keep these girls bound together for another four years.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:09 AM   #28
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
They definitely needed to expand outside of school if they were going to keep these girls bound together for another four years.
Not true.

They could have just kept failing!

(not really, but going for a late night joke, lol)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 AM   #29
RetroGuy2000

Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #30
valentina warner

Unhappy CHARLOTTE RAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Do you work in radio now? If so, that would have been a cool sitcom inspiration!

Too bad CHARLOTTE RAE decided to leave the show (i know it was because of healthy reasons) but having a MRS G around the girls would have made it even better: now that they were older, they could have done more stuff with their former housemother, confidante and best friend.
valentina warner is online now   Reply With Quote