Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Memorial Day 2020 TV Marathons
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 25, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Fall Lineup Looking to Include Fewer Sitcoms; Head of the Class Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Will HBO Max Work?; ABC Announces 2020-21 Season Programming
Freeform Announces 2020-21 Slate; Fox Brings Back Last Man Standing, Prodigal Son and The Resident for 2021
Summer of Me Returns June 1 on MeTV; FXX Orders More Dave
CBS Upfront 2020-21: Fall 2020 Schedule; Remembering Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April/May)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
cfr1970

Default Talk, Talk, Talk

So they're all covering a radio station overnight. It was a kinda weird episode---I didn't get why Jo just didn't play 5 hours of music, especially since Tootie brought all those records. It bordered on slapstick comedy lol.

At least Mrs. Garrett was there the whole time. That was a plus....and I hope Blair never wore her hair up again for the rest of the series. She's beautiful, but the way that puffy hair frames her face is gorgeous, and she just doesn't seem like "Blair" when it's up. I hated it!

Even in the next episode, "Smile" with her hair down, she now puts so much Aqua Net on the sides to keep them 5 inches out from her head that it's hideous. Where's the gorgeous poof and curls that frame her face? I miss it! Toss the Aqua Net in the trash!

I like Natalie's boyfriend Brian. I know she winds up with Snake, so I guess he's history soon. I wish they'd have kept him longer and he deflowered her instead.

That was kind of weird too....Natalie thinking her boyfriend doesn't want to hear her feelings. What?! Who thinks like that? "You mean, you want to know how I feel?" I couldn't believe she asked him that---what is she 12?! That's what you DO when you're dating---you share FEELINGS!! How weird. I just didn't get any of that. Natalie usually isn't that stupid.

Anyway, I so far like the season---but it seems to be heading for the shark waters. It's not there yet...but you can see the fin circling in the distance.

I missed the first few minutes---what was the excuse for Jo's absence this time?! And Tootie's braces back on LOL....yes, I know they played them out of order and this was only the 2nd ep. filmed for the season when Nancy was on strike. (You do notice her absence too, so maybe she was right to strike. Without her there, it's just not the same.)
cfr1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr1970 View Post
So they're all covering a radio station overnight. It was a kinda weird episode---I didn't get why Jo just didn't play 5 hours of music, especially since Tootie brought all those records. It bordered on slapstick comedy lol.
Haha, I never thought of the "just play 5 hours of music" thing.

Poor Tootie though---eek!

Quote:
...in the next episode, "Smile"...I like Natalie's boyfriend Brian.
I do too! He was such a good guy!

Quote:
I know she winds up with Snake, so I guess he's history soon. I wish they'd have kept him longer and he deflowered her instead.

Quote:
That was kind of weird too....Natalie thinking her boyfriend doesn't want to hear her feelings. What?! Who thinks like that? "You mean, you want to know how I feel?" I couldn't believe she asked him that---what is she 12?! That's what you DO when you're dating---you share FEELINGS!! How weird. I just didn't get any of that. Natalie usually isn't that stupid.
You're right. Natalie annoys me in this episode because she acts so wrong about the whole thing, and loses the best guy she'd ever dated!

Quote:
Anyway, I so far like the season---but it seems to be heading for the shark waters. It's not there yet...but you can see the fin circling in the distance.

Quote:
and this was only the 2nd ep. filmed for the season when Nancy was on strike. (You do notice her absence too, so maybe she was right to strike. Without her there, it's just not the same.)
Uh-oh, I wonder if The Nancy McKeon Fan Brigade's ears are burning? lol...but really, I think you'd have to say it wouldn't be the same if any of them were gone. After all, they're only 4 girls.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Haha, I never thought of the "just play 5 hours of music" thing.

Poor Tootie though---eek!

I do too! He was such a good guy!

You're right. Natalie annoys me in this episode because she acts so wrong about the whole thing, and loses the best guy she'd ever dated!

Uh-oh, I wonder if The Nancy McKeon Fan Brigade's ears are burning? lol...but really, I think you'd have to say it wouldn't be the same if any of them were gone. After all, they're only 4 girls.
Do we ever see Brian again or was he already given his walking papers after this episode? If so shame. He was perfect for Nat.

I guess you're right...with ANY of the girls missing, it wouldn't feel the same. You can just feel Jo's absence in the entire episode..I guess that's how much of a presence she has---that you really notice when she's gone.

What was the reason this time? Still visiting Mom in the Bronx?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
80s Dude

So what shows did Nancy M. miss on FOL during the Jo era?
80s Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
So what shows did Nancy M. miss on FOL during the Jo era?
I think only 2. (according to the Wikipedia FOL episode page)

"My Boyfriend's Back" and "Smile"

Underneath the synopsis for "Smile" it says this:

Note: This is Nancy McKeon's second and final absence in the series. This is the second episode filmed for the season.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
80s Dude

If they had kept Molly around, she would have come to the rescue for the radio station.
80s Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:

There's two scenes covering why music couldn't be played. The first is discussing that one of the record players was broken and the second scene was Victor breaking the other player when he came too for a little bit and then passed out again. That's why they couldn't play music all night. Jo was going to do that though.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
There's two scenes covering why music couldn't be played. The first is discussing that one of the record players was broken and the second scene was Victor breaking the other player when he came too for a little bit and then passed out again. That's why they couldn't play music all night. Jo was going to do that though.
Thanks to the wonderful world of editing for commercials, another big piece is yanked out of the puzzle of the story.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
What was the reason this time? Still visiting Mom in the Bronx?

Jo's absence isn't discussed in Smile. They don't mention her at all in the episode. If it would have aired in production order with this airing directly after My Boyfriend's Back, fans would have naturally assumed that's where Jo still was.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
If they had kept Molly around, she would have come to the rescue for the radio station.
Yes! And if they had kept Nancy around, she could have brought in all of her great Donna Summer records.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to the wonderful world of editing for commercials, another big piece is yanked out of the puzzle of the story.

I know majority of these episodes by heart. I've mentioned before on here I have most likely watched every episode hundreds of times. I have a routine of watching at least 4 episodes every morning because it perks me up to start my day. I never get sick of this show. I think there's a running gag on here if someone needs help identifying an episode, I'm the one to go to If these episodes you're watching in syndication don't make sense to you, I'll let you know what was cut for commercials
Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
cfr1970

Quote:
I know majority of these episodes by heart. I've mentioned before on here I have most likely watched every episode hundreds of times. I have a routine of watching at least 4 episodes every morning because it perks me up to start my day. I never get sick of this show. I think there's a running gag on here if someone needs help identifying an episode, I'm the one to go to If these episodes you're watching in syndication don't make sense to you, I'll let you know what was cut for commercials
Thanks. I'm sure i'll have tons more questions watching these edited episodes until I get the box set. 5-6 minutes snipped from each show can really get you lost.

Do you watch the 4 episodes in order every day or just pop in any dvd at random and play what's on it? I'm like that with All in the Family. I must have seen each episode dozens of times, but I still watch 2 episodes each night right before bed.

I grew up on the show and Archie & Edith remind me of my grandparents so it's comforting to watch. I view in episode order each night and when I reach the end, I start over from the beginning again.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
WriterChick78
Frequent Poster

I've done that with Three's Company myself. It's the first sitcom I ever remember watching in my life and I have loved it for 40 years. It always played somewhere on some channel on my lifetime, usually at night, so I developed that habit. Now they moved it too early on Antenna and knocked it down to one episode a day ��

Not to be contradictory, but they did say that the record player was broken and that Jo couldn't fix it. I, too, watched it today and heard that. I have two questions though: Why didn't they tell us what Jo's teacher thought of her filling the airtime? I was expecting him to come in and praise her and her friends for their creativity under pressure. My second question is this: what college would encourage a student with a full course load to stay up all night without sleep?
WriterChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
cfr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterChick78 View Post
I've done that with Three's Company myself. It's the first sitcom I ever remember watching in my life and I have loved it for 40 years. It always played somewhere on some channel on my lifetime, usually at night, so I developed that habit. Now they moved it too early on Antenna and knocked it down to one episode a day ��

Not to be contradictory, but they did say that the record player was broken and that Jo couldn't fix it. I, too, watched it today and heard that. I have two questions though: Why didn't they tell us what Jo's teacher thought of her filling the airtime? I was expecting him to come in and praise her and her friends for their creativity under pressure. My second question is this: what college would encourage a student with a full course load to stay up all night without sleep?

Plus she was on the student council, taking photography courses, Shakespeare courses. It's a wonder she had any time to spare working at Edna's Edibles!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Do we ever see Brian again or was he already given his walking papers after this episode? If so shame. He was perfect for Nat.
Nope, that's it---one episode, and he's but a memory. That's such a shame---he really was perfect for her!

Quote:
I know majority of these episodes by heart. I've mentioned before on here I have most likely watched every episode hundreds of times. I have a routine of watching at least 4 episodes every morning because it perks me up to start my day. I never get sick of this show.
I honestly don't see how you do it. I mean, more power to you, lol. I just know I couldn't do that with even my most favorite show.

Quote:
I think there's a running gag on here if someone needs help identifying an episode, I'm the one to go to If these episodes you're watching in syndication don't make sense to you, I'll let you know what was cut for commercials
Yup that can come in handy, lol.

cfr, you'll appreciate the DVDs so much! I know FOL and "Golden Girls" and "Mama's Family" so well that it really hits you when the "director's cut" material is suddenly on the screen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterChick78 View Post
My second question is this: what college would encourage a student with a full course load to stay up all night without sleep?
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote