Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Roku Adds Over 100 Linear Channels; Remembering Mary Pat Gleason and Peggy Pope
Fri-Yay: Space Force on Netflix Thoughts; BET+ Comedy Gets Binge Premiere
Antenna TV's Coach Father's Day Marathon; The CW Acquires Patrick Dempsey Thriller for Fall 2020
HBO Max Comedy Starts Strong; Alexa & Katie Returns in June for Final Episodes
Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Kane

Default Jay Cook/Tanya Van Cuylenborg case on Forensic Files

Last night, the recently-revived Forensic Files aired a new episode called "Family Tree," documenting the 1987 murders of Jay Cook and his girlfriend Tanya Van Cuylenborg. Genetic genealogy on a public web site resulted in the identification, arrest, and conviction of William Earl Talbot, who is now serving two life sentences in a Washington state prison.

As you'll recall, UM featured the double homicide in 1989. Jay and Tanya were on a trip from Canada to Washington state, where they were found murdered. Their loved ones received taunting letters over the next year. For years, it was believed that the letters were written by the killer, but they eventually turned out to be a red herring: The actual author was a transient with mental health issues. No evidence linked the transient to the murders, and he was ruled out.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Talbot has filed an appeal (which is to be expected). I wonder if there will be any challenge as to the admissibility of the genetic genealogy? I think this was the first case using the new methodology to go to trial,and therefore the first conviction as well.
Tighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:36 AM   #3
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighthead View Post
Talbot has filed an appeal (which is to be expected). I wonder if there will be any challenge as to the admissibility of the genetic genealogy? I think this was the first case using the new methodology to go to trial,and therefore the first conviction as well.
Eh..... Just desperation milking of the system. He's toast. Dude was violent towards his own immediate family, he even sexually molested his eleven year old sister. He's a piece of **** and needs to be put away.

In fact given that he was a trucker, I think they should test his DNA against other murders. He may well be responsible for some of those unsolved trucker murders. I'd be surprised if Talbott was just a one timer.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
Eh..... Just desperation milking of the system. He's toast. Dude was violent towards his own immediate family, he even sexually molested his eleven year old sister. He's a piece of **** and needs to be put away.

In fact given that he was a trucker, I think they should test his DNA against other murders. He may well be responsible for some of those unsolved trucker murders. I'd be surprised if Talbott was just a one timer.
I donít disagree with your first paragraph, but it has zero relation to the admissibility of the evidence.

I would be surprised if they havenít already tested his DNA against unsolved cases. What leads you to conclude they havenít?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
omegadoom
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Last night, the recently-revived Forensic Files aired a new episode called "Family Tree," documenting the 1987 murders of Jay Cook and his girlfriend Tanya Van Cuylenborg. Genetic genealogy on a public web site resulted in the identification, arrest, and conviction of William Earl Talbot, who is now serving two life sentences in a Washington state prison.

As you'll recall, UM featured the double homicide in 1989. Jay and Tanya were on a trip from Canada to Washington state, where they were found murdered. Their loved ones received taunting letters over the next year. For years, it was believed that the letters were written by the killer, but they eventually turned out to be a red herring: The actual author was a transient with mental health issues. No evidence linked the transient to the murders, and he was ruled out.
I had a feeling this case would be one of the first to be featured on the new Forensic Files. Did they interview any of the family members of Jay or Tanya?
omegadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 AM   #6
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don’t disagree with your first paragraph, but it has zero relation to the admissibility of the evidence.

I would be surprised if they haven’t already tested his DNA against unsolved cases. What leads you to conclude they haven’t?
Its a needle in a haystack. There are literally hundreds of thousands of unsolved murders all across the country.

Of course CODIS makes it a lot faster, don't really know enough about the process to comment on it. I'd just be surprised if he was a one timer but he could have been.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
drew790
Forum Regular

The sample was already in the system before there was an ID and it didn't have any hits. It doesn't change now that we know his name.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
The sample was already in the system before there was an ID and it didn't have any hits. It doesn't change now that we know his name.
Of course. I had the order of operations wrong.

One thing that has surprised me with a few of the genealogical solved cases is that some people commit a murder and just go on with normal life, never to repeat it.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
sharonite
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegadoom View Post
I had a feeling this case would be one of the first to be featured on the new Forensic Files. Did they interview any of the family members of Jay or Tanya?
They interviewed Jayís sister and Tanyaís brother, if I remember correctly.

Iíve watched every episode of this new series and Iím loving it (though original narrator Peter Thomas is, like Robert Stack, very much missed).
sharonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonite View Post
They interviewed Jayís sister and Tanyaís brother, if I remember correctly.
Correct. Jay's sister Laura and Tanya's brother John were both interviewed.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #11
GDAWG
Frequent Poster

Quote:
One would think any and all appeals would be delayed due to the pandemic.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #12
Tighthead
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAWG View Post
One would think any and all appeals would be delayed due to the pandemic.
Likely but with no evidence involved it would be much easier to run appellate hearings safely as opposed to actual trials.