Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer
Antenna TV's Bewitched Double the Darrins Father's Day Marathon; HBO Max Renews Hacks for 2nd Season
COZI TV Father's Day Marathon: Herman Munster vs. Dan Conner; Paramount+ Bolsters Offerings This Summer
Who Are You, Charlie Brown? Debuts June 25 on Apple TV+; FX, FXX and FX on Hulu Announce 8 Premieres for Summer/Early Fall

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default Solomon's Weekly Rant: June 30, 2007 Discussion

Read:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...-of-super.html

Then please discuss.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Ant-Lox
Cloud Watcher

Solomon forgot to mention in my opinion the GREATEST TV DVD release of all-time in Seinfeld. Which was promoted to the moon an chock full of extras. Sure, its only for one show, but it was was one of the most popular shows ever, and those DVD's are better than anything ever released by any company in my opinion.

Solomon also didn't mention the NewsRadio sets that have a lot of commentary tracks on each set. He also didn't mention how quickly Sony released The King of Queens sets to market, a show which is still relevant.

Surely he knows that they can't please everyone. And if no one is buying a set, then why on earth would they continue to spend more money just to appeal to a small grooup of people?

I'm pretty happy with Sony's releases, Sure, I want them to release the rest of Barney Miller. But maybe the set didn't sell well enough? Sony's not going to spend thousands to make me one DVD set and I'll get over it.

Sports Allegiances
Philadelphia 76ers
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Philadelphia Eagles
Detroit Red Wings
New York Football Giants

Ant-Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-Lox
Solomon forgot to mention in my opinion the GREATEST TV DVD release of all-time in Seinfeld. Which was promoted to the moon an chock full of extras. Sure, its only for one show, but it was was one of the most popular shows ever, and those DVD's are better than anything ever released by any company in my opinion.

Solomon also didn't mention the NewsRadio sets that have a lot of commentary tracks on each set. He also didn't mention how quickly Sony released The King of Queens sets to market, a show which is still relevant.

Surely he knows that they can't please everyone. And if no one is buying a set, then why on earth would they continue to spend more money just to appeal to a small grooup of people?

I'm pretty happy with Sony's releases, Sure, I want them to release the rest of Barney Miller. But maybe the set didn't sell well enough? Sony's not going to spend thousands to make me one DVD set and I'll get over it.

Well I'm defintley not talking about shows like NewsRadio, I'm talking about the Classic comedies of the 1970's. And if they can include extras on DVD release for Newsradio, then why not do it for shows like Maude, All in the family, sanford and son, the Jeffersons and One day at a time? And as far as fast releases for King of Queens, that's a bad example because it's a show that was CURRENT.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

Ant-Lox, how can you be satisfied with Sony releases? They give us nothing as bonus features, slow waits, and high prices. You call that satisfying? Sure, they do have good packaging for most series (especially the Jeffersons S3-6 and Who's the Boss? S1), but that's about it.

Great review again, Solomon. You definitely summed up greatly about Sony's slot waiting period, and their "one release a year" deal they have going with The Jeffersons. One thing you didn't mention was their abandonment of series like Who's the Boss? and there "No word" series like The Nanny and The Facts of Life. THey just give us cheap quality (such as fitting 11 episodes onto a disc like they did with Mad About You S1) and we shouldn't have to put up with it!

Watch:

Medium, Fridays at 9pm, on CBS!
Big Bang Theory, Mondays at 9:30pm, on CBS!
The Mentalist, Thursdays at 10pm, on CBS!
Old Christine, Wednesdays at 8pm, on CBS!
ABC's Comedy Lineup, Starting Wednesdays at 8:30pm, on ABC!
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseanne88-97
Ant-Lox, how can you be satisfied with Sony releases? They give us nothing as bonus features, slow waits, and high prices. You call that satisfying? Sure, they do have good packaging for most series (especially the Jeffersons S3-6 and Who's the Boss? S1), but that's about it.

Great review again, Solomon. You definitely summed up greatly about Sony's slot waiting period, and their "one release a year" deal they have going with The Jeffersons. One thing you didn't mention was their abandonment of series like Who's the Boss? and there "No word" series like The Nanny and The Facts of Life. THey just give us cheap quality (such as fitting 11 episodes onto a disc like they did with Mad About You S1) and we shouldn't have to put up with it!

And Sony should understand that we would love to get more FUN FACTS on DVD not in a booklet about the shows we loved for years. There should always be a bonus feature included with every season released on DVD. And that would get fans very excited to buy the upcoming seasons of that particular show since would have something to look forward to besides good quality and UNEDITED eps.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Corizzle
Frequent Poster

You say you are talking about the 70s sitcoms but then you compare them to releases of 80s/90s shows like Fresh Prince and Full House? Also did you look at seasons past the first 1? Sure Season 1 of Fresh Prince had a nice documentary and Full House Season 1 had the unaired pilot. But since then it has been stupid montages and gag reels (which BTW Fresh Prince would normally air gag reels at the end during the credits anyway)

Most of these older shows seem to always have tagged on special features that are useless. I think there is no excuse to not have cast/crew commentary on at least a few episodes. Such as on Boy Meets World, which had commentary on 4 or 5 episodes
Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
frenchjr25
Occasional Poster

For truly classic shows they should simply give us the entire series. For newer show this would be so expensive that most of us could not afford it. I would love to see CBS Paramount release some of their shows from the 1950s like Our Miss Brooks and December Bride, but they would only be marketable as complete series. The good thing about shows this old is that everyone is dead and there were no residuals, so cost of producing the DVDs goes way down.

More shows need to be released as complete series and much lower prices. I think paying $50 for a single season of a show from the 80s or earlier is crazy. If they want to sell more, they need to price lower.
frenchjr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corizzle
You say you are talking about the 70s sitcoms but then you compare them to releases of 80s/90s shows like Fresh Prince and Full House? Also did you look at seasons past the first 1? Sure Season 1 of Fresh Prince had a nice documentary and Full House Season 1 had the unaired pilot. But since then it has been stupid montages and gag reels (which BTW Fresh Prince would normally air gag reels at the end during the credits anyway)

Most of these older shows seem to always have tagged on special features that are useless. I think there is no excuse to not have cast/crew commentary on at least a few episodes. Such as on Boy Meets World, which had commentary on 4 or 5 episodes

But there was stilll something on ONE of the seasons, you know how many bonus features the Jeffersons had? ZERO!!!!!!! If season 1 of the Jeffersons or Maude had atleast some sort of extra I would be satisfied.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
TV DVD Fan

Solomon, for one time I can say I completely agree with you 100 percent on this one. Even if we WERE talking about TV DVD's released by Sony for ALL decades, SEINFELD still wouldn't be an excuse for the other pure crap that Sony releases. Sometimes I'm actually ashamed to have that Sony logo gracing certain DVD sets of mine, namely ALL IN THE FAMILY, one of my all-time favorite shows, but the presentation is like "Wow, they took all of 3 milliseconds to process this design." Totally non-creative, non-provoking, non-stimulating, and lackluster. The inside of the ALL IN THE FAMILY boxsets contains all of one full-sleeve photo of the series, which holds the episode booklet and crappy previews book. COME ON! It simply sucks, even shows with no extras can usually at least be colorful and the sets themselves can be fun to look at. But it's just "bleh" with 95 percent of Sony Television's library, classic or modern. Take a look at STELLAR sets like the best-of OZZIE AND HARRIET, or the always colorful sets of HANNA-BARBERA properties: just do SOMETHING!

By the way Solomon, I got the perfect rant for you for next week: PARAMOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abandoned series, hit-and-run with extras (usually the first set contains a few extras then subsequent seasons have nothing), and another company with horrible packaging (well this is a new problem I have with PHE--- prior to FAMILY TIES Season One's situation, this never was a problem with PHE, they actually used to have great packaging).

Anyway, great rant this week Solomon, I feel like I'm ready to start a rally or something!

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."
TV DVD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV DVD Fan
Solomon, for one time I can say I completely agree with you 100 percent on this one. Even if we WERE talking about TV DVD's released by Sony for ALL decades, SEINFELD still wouldn't be an excuse for the other pure crap that Sony releases. Sometimes I'm actually ashamed to have that Sony logo gracing certain DVD sets of mine, namely ALL IN THE FAMILY, one of my all-time favorite shows, but the presentation is like "Wow, they took all of 3 milliseconds to process this design." Totally non-creative, non-provoking, non-stimulating, and lackluster. The inside of the ALL IN THE FAMILY boxsets contains all of one full-sleeve photo of the series, which holds the episode booklet and crappy previews book. COME ON! It simply sucks, even shows with no extras can usually at least be colorful and the sets themselves can be fun to look at. But it's just "bleh" with 95 percent of Sony Television's library, classic or modern. Take a look at STELLAR sets like the best-of OZZIE AND HARRIET, or the always colorful sets of HANNA-BARBERA properties: just do SOMETHING!

By the way Solomon, I got the perfect rant for you for next week: PARAMOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abandoned series, hit-and-run with extras (usually the first set contains a few extras then subsequent seasons have nothing), and another company with horrible packaging (well this is a new problem I have with PHE--- prior to FAMILY TIES Season One's situation, this never was a problem with PHE, they actually used to have great packaging).

Anyway, great rant this week Solomon, I feel like I'm ready to start a rally or something!

I just want some creativity when it comes Bonus Features on the DVD by Sony. Damm, just bring something to our attention about the show we don't know to make the DVD a great buy. All the Norman lear shows on DVD have NOTHING and that is ridiculous
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
Pavan
SO News/Reviews Director
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Diff'rent Strokes S1 and 227 S1 actually had extras, which I was surprised to see. Facts of life S1-S2, too. Nothing for DS S2 and FOL S3 though, lol. And we know 227 S2 is STILL not out.
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbadal
Diff'rent Strokes S1 and 227 S1 actually had extras, which I was surprised to see. Facts of life S1-S2, too. Nothing for DS S2 and FOL S3 though, lol. And we know 227 S2 is STILL not out.

What kind of extra did Diffrent Strokes have?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
PlayOn
ADHD: what I have not who I am

While reading your rant, I was thinking to myself, don't like it, don't buy it. But then I got to thinking. I'm a huge All in the Family nut and yea it was nice to see footage I haven't seen on TVLand but they could have added alittle something extra. Maybe commenatry on episodes. Like Jean Stapleton could have done one on 'Edith's Problem.' Sally Struthers could have done one on 'Gloria Discovers Womens Lib', you know, the episodes about there character just to hear what they were thinking during that time or they could do one of there favorite episodes. I think the only special feature on season 2 is the episode booklet with a photo of Meathead and Archie along with a bonus preview.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
TV_Fan
Forum Regular

As much as I don't like sony, I don't like Paramount even more. How many Sony sets have on the back on their covers "music has been changed" or even worse "some episodes have been edited from their broadcast". At least with Sony I usually don't have to worry about getting cut episodes and replaced music.
TV_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4077th
While reading your rant, I was thinking to myself, don't like it, don't buy it. But then I got to thinking. I'm a huge All in the Family nut and yea it was nice to see footage I haven't seen on TVLand but they could have added alittle something extra. Maybe commenatry on episodes. Like Jean Stapleton could have done one on 'Edith's Problem.' Sally Struthers could have done one on 'Gloria Discovers Womens Lib', you know, the episodes about there character just to hear what they were thinking during that time or they could do one of there favorite episodes. I think the only special feature on season 2 is the episode booklet with a photo of Meathead and Archie along with a bonus preview.

Or something like

Why that particular Block in Queens was chosen for the Opening/Closing Credits in a Norman Lear Interview

Norman Lear Interview discussing the crtiticisms of the show when it first hit the air in 1971

CREATIVITY!!!!!!!!!-lol