View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
TheLittleFaerie
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
Although Granny made no secret of hating the Hills of Beverly while being homesick for the Ozarks and COULD have easily stayed on her own in their original homestead, no way would she have let her late daughter's only daughter Elly May go out there on her own 'unchaperoned' with only Jed and Jethro for company- especially while Elly May was still 'unhitched'. Yes,Elly May stayed a tomboy who never had any more interest in the opposite gender other than to vaguely flirt- or rassle them if they misbehaved but Granny wasn't about to chance her not landing a husband and somehow felt her granddaughter had MORE chance of doing so with HER around than left to her own devises! I'll grant what was a cute quirk on Elly May's part in the beginning when had had no exposure to the outside world became somewhat a tired cliche at the end of nine years when she no longer could pass for ' just turned fourteen' but I think that was the main reason Granny agreed to go with the rest of them. Oh, and if not for Elly May's existence, there'd have been no ropes or chains strong enough to keep Granny there against her will!
Its hard to say... Granny did a lot of talking, but after having lived in B.H. as long as she did, she may not have enjoyed the hills as much as she thought... I remember in the episode where they returned home while Pearl was trying to marry Mr. Brewster, and they nearly froze in the cabin and Granny says, "Pearl, give it all you got tonight or we're all gonna be down with Pneumonia".... In other words Granny was ready to get back to the warmth of Ca. as soon as Brewster proposed to Pearl. I think like most of us, Granny was probably looking back at the Hills through rose-tinted glasses and only remembering the good times.
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote