Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
"Roseanne" Will Stress Family over Politics in New Season, Channing Dungey Says
by Lisa de Moraes
May 15, 2018

ABC expects "Roseanne" to continue on its path away from politics and focus on family in Season 2 storylines, ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey told reporters this morning.

Returning "Roseanne" will kick off Tuesdays in the fall, leading into new 70’s-set single-cam comedy "The Kids Are Alright", about a large working class-family sharing close quarters.

"Roseanne" was the biggest hit of the 2017-18 broadcast season, despite – or because of – being a 30 year-old show headlined by an outspoken Trump supporter, playing a character who is an outspoken Trump supporter.

Its debut ratings were so stunningly large, President Donald Trump called Roseanne Barr to congratulate her – and then took credit for her numbers.

This season’s first episode “did touch on some of that in the first episode in a very funny way,” Dungey acknowledged of the star/character’s Trump support in a phone presser before her Upfront presentation.

But, the ABC Entertainment chief insisted, that was in perfect keeping with conversations you’d expect Roseanne Connor and sister Jackie to have had after the election, reflecting issues and conversations real American families were having at dining tables across the country.

That said, having touched on that in the first episode of the season,” ABC will look for Season 2 to focus not so much on politics as “family trials and tribulations,” she said.

But she acknowleged Roseanne Barr’s personal politics impact the series’ reception, saying “I do think there is a little bit of that.

Despite Roseanne’s runaway success, ABC’s new schedule is not thick with multi-cam comedies. The network was far along in this season’s development and pilot ordering before it re-launched "Roseanne" and realized it had a ratings behemoth on its hands, Dungey explained.

We at ABC have not had as much success with [multi-cam comedies] traditionally as competitors,” she noted. “Roseanne changed the game in that respect,” she observed. But, she’s looking forward to going into the next development season and looking at doing more.

"Roseanne" is in keeping with ABC’s longstanding emphasis on family comedies, and fits well into the network’s Tuesday comedy block already in place, the exec said.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/roseanne...ts-1202391297/
Roseanne Barr: "Press has misrepresented" ABC boss' remarks on Roseanne becoming less political in Season 2
“I think that they’re going to stay on the path that they were on toward the end of last season, which is away from politics and toward family," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said on Tuesday. Barr responded on Wednesday by tweeting: "ABC has been nothing but supportive to me and my show and all of our ideas. The press has misrepresented what ABC President said about our new season."
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote