View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.

I'm reading a list of Grammy winners that failed to live up to being "the next big thing":

Starland Vocal Band in 1977. Remember "Afternoon Delight"? Their next album tanked at #104, and they disbanded by 1981.

A Taste Of Honey in 1979. "Boogie Oogie Oogie". And that was pretty much that by that time, except for an early-80's song called "Sukiyaki". Yeah, I never heard of it, either.

Christopher Cross in 1981. Ahh, yes, we LOVED "Sailing","Ride Like the Wind", and "Arthur's Theme". He just wasn't so image-ready for the rest of the MTV skinny-tie synth-pop 80's. His sound was just too easy-listening 70's at that point.

Men At Work in 1983. Now HERE was a band that SHOULD have had a lot going for it. Their catchy new wave songs such as "Who Can It Be Now?" "Land Down Under", and "Be Good Johnny" were all over the radio, as well as their followup album. But their time came and went to soon. Maybe it was the overexposure of "Land Down Under" that did them in.

Milli Vanilli in 1991. I'm just going to leave that one right there.

Paula Cole in 1998. She had a couple of big songs, "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" and "I Don't Wanna Wait", during a time when female singer-songwriters were all the rage. She deserved better, but maybe the industry thought this "chick-singer" was a fad and treated it as such. Sad.

That's a couple of them so far.