View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #99
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms
I do...and I DID. Pre-ordered and already shipped out. I can't wait.

I wont be so nit-picky about a few seconds here and there, I still get to see my favorite characters and stories, I never watched the show for the music anyway, the music was all just BONUS anyways. If I want the unedited version of a song, I'll buy the SONG, this is a TV show, not a music CD.

THANK YOU PARAMOUNT FOR GIVING US SEASON 5.

It was a Show about the 1950's, and from the beginning, Music was a Huge part of the show, from the scenes in Arnold's to elsewhere. Don't you recall all the musical performances in Arnold's, the music from the jukebox, Fonzie hitting the jukebox and making the music play, Richie singing "Blueberry Hill", and all the music that would play in the background and during car scenes?

Music was a huge part of this show. While there aren't a ton of scenes missing, there is a ton of music wiped out. Here's a list from Todd Fuller's review here:

Disc 1:

"Hollywood (Part 1)"
"The Great Pretender" by The Platters is replaced by an unknown song. Potsie briefly singing "Venus" is included. There is a possible replacement instrumental on the jukebox. Potsie singing "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" is included.

"Hard Cover"
"Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino is replaced by an unknown song on the radio. "It's Late" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by an unknown song on the radio.

"My Cousin the Cheat"
"It's Late" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by an unknown song (the same song is used in other episodes). "Poor Little Fool" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by unknown song/instrumental. "Who's Sorry Now" by Connie Francis is replaced by unknown song/instrumental. "Pretend" by Nat King Cole is replaced by unknown song/instrumental.

"The Apartment"
"It's Late" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by unknown song. "Tea For Two" (instrumental) from No No Nannette is replaced by unknown instrumental. "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" by Paul Anka is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. "The Great Pretender" by The Platters is replaced by unknown song/insturmental.

Disc 2:

"Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero (Part 1)"
"Young Love" by Tab Hunter is replaced by an unknown song/intstrumental. "Cat" performed by Leather and the Suedes is included. "All Shook Up" performed by Leather and the Suedes is included. "Heartbreak Hotel" played by Leather and the Suedes is included.

"Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero (Part 2)"
"Heartbreak Hotel" performed by Leather and the Suedes is included. "Devil Gate Drive" performed by Leather and the Suedes is included.

"My Fair Fonzie"
"I'm Walkin" by Fats Domino is replaced by an unknown song. "Never Be Anyone But You" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by an unknown song. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" by Elvis Presley is replaced twice by unknown songs/instrumentals.

"Bye Bye Blackball"
"Kansas City" (instrumental) by Wilbert Harrison is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental; "Pretend" by Nat King Cole is replaced by uknown song/instrumental. "Who's Sorry Now?" by Connie Francis is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental.

"Requiem for a Malph"
"Calendar Girl" played by the band is included. "Down by the Old Mill Stream" sung by the Cuningham family and Fonzie is included. "Yakety Yak" (instrumental) by The Coasters replaced by an unknown instrumental.

"Nose for News"
"Yakety Yak" by The Coasters is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. Potsie briefly singing "Lady of Spain" is edited out of the episode.

"Grandpa's Visit"
"Tequila" played briefly by the band is edited out of the episode. "Way Down Yonder in New Orleans," "Sonny Boy," and "When the Saints Go Marching In" played by Cap Cunningham and his band are included.

Disc 3:

"Potsie Gets Pinned"
"Summertime Summertime" by The Jamies is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. "Young Love" by Tab Hunter is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. Potsie and Jennifer singing a song is included.

"Marion's Misgivings"
Potsie and the band performing "Wild One" by Bobby Rydell is included. Leather and the Sudes performing "I May Be Too Young" is included. "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" by Elvis Presley is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental.

"Richie Almost Dies"
Leather singing "Believe" at the piano at the Cunningham home as a montage of video clips of Richie is shown is replaced by a piano instrumental version without the vocals. In the original unedited episode, they show Leather singing the beginning of the song on camera. That has been edited out of the DVD. It's disappointing that the vocal version wasn't included. From what I have read online, it was written specifically written for the show. It has never been released as single or on any of Suzi Quatro's albums.

"Spunkless Spunky"
"Cry" by Johnny Ray is replaced by an unknown instrumental.

"Be My Valentine"
Potsie and Jennifer performing a song is included. Ralph singing "My Funny Valentine" is included. Chachi singing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" is included. Howard and Marion singing "I Remember It Well" is included. Richie and Lori Beth dancing to an instrumental is included. Al singing "Isn't It Romantic?" is included.

"Our Gang"
"Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets is replaced by an unknown instrumental. "The Great Pretender" by The Platters is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental.

Disc 4:

"My Favorite Orkan"
"It's Late" by Ricky Nelson is replaced by an unknown song. "Blueberry Hill" sung briefly by Richie and Mork is edited out of the episode. I didn't hear Richie singing "Blueberry Hill" in any other episodes this season, so it's possible it was removed elsewhere. "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin is replaced by an unknown instrumental.

"Do You Want to Dance?"
An original song on the jukebox at Arnold's is likely replaced by an unknown song.

"Second Wind"
Al singing and playing his ukulele is included. All of the original songs on the jukebox at Arnold's have been replaced by unknown songs/instrumentals: "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin, "Kansas City" (instrumental) by Wilbert Harrison, "Never Be Anyone But You" (instrumental) by Ricky Nelson, "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" (instrumental) by Paul Anka, "A Teenager in Love" (instrumental) by Dion and the Belmonts, and "Summertime Summertime" by The Jamies.

"Rules to Date By"
Potsie and the band performing "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen" is included. Leather and the Suedes and the band's performance of "Johnnie B. Goode" by Chuck Berry is replaced by an unknown instrumental. It's very odd to see Leather singing, but there are no vocals. I'm surprised they didn't edit out this entire scene, but this way is probably better than not including it at all.

"Fonzie for the Defense"
"Personality" by Lloyd Price is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. "I'm Walkin" by Fats Domino is replaced by an unknown song/instrumental. Richie and later Richie, Ralph and Potsie singing "The Three Caballeros" is included.

"4th Anniversary Special"
Most of the original music in this episode has been replaced by other songs/instrumentals or edited out. Missing or replaced songs include "Cry" (instrumental) by Johnnie Ray, "Calendar Girl" (instrumental) by Neil Sedaka, "You're the Cream in My Coffee" by Ruth Etting - sung briefly by Fonzie, "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" (instrumental) by Paul Anka. They did include "On Moonlight Bay" sung by the Cunninghams and Fonzie at the end of the episode.

Music plays a big part in setting the atmosphere for this show, as it does for many films and TV shows. A 1950's show about teenagers hanging out in their favorite drive-in and music doesn't matter? LOL Just looking at the list of missing music shows you how large a role Garry Marshall intended for music to play.

Being upset over all that missing music and the missing footage is hardly something one can call nit-picky.

Having low standards and accepting subpar releases just gets more of the same. Would you buy a film or TV show that wasn't in its original aspect ratio as well?

If I want to listen to a whole song, I buy a CD. If I want to watch a show the way it was intended to be seen and Heard, I expect that buying the DVD should get me that. I guess not...

NO THANK YOU CBS FOR GIVING US THE UNIMPRESSIVE, INCOMPLETE SEASON 5.
Colonel Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote