View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Music artists that 'Jumped the Shark'

Quote:
This could be an interesting thread. By jumping the shark in this thread, of course I'm talking about when we look back on an artist's glory days. It's all subjective, but for argument's sake, I'd say someone like John Mellencamp, career wise and popularity wise jumped the shark in the early '90s. Maybe Wild Night in 1994 was his last relevant song (and a cover song at that). If MTV was around today they wouldn't play him, and I'm sure he's happy and doesn't care because he's doing his music, but let's face it, who wouldn't like a hit song and to be as popular as they were at their peak?

Maybe they don't want to be chased around like they were then and have their privacy, but it seems after a point, the times have passed them by, or they ran of of ideas.

I'm not talking about artists that get critical acclaim now,that doesn't mean anything in this case. I'm speaking of artists that could once fill arenas and now barely fill a club. That's jumping the shark in this case. They aren't the same anymore.

Often times it's when they go through a change in life. Starting a family, getting married, losing someone. Taking a long break.

Last edited by Zoneboy; 07-11-2015 at 09:35 PM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote