Thread: Kurt Sova
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #144
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 09, 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 821

For those who do see something of interest in this case, I am surprised that no one pointed out this discrepancy between the UM segment and the enlightening article about the Sova case found by MegtheEgg. According to the UM segment, the "crazy from Detroit" left his little poem on Tuesday, the day before Sova was found, and was questioned by police later that afternoon. dynoguy88's timeline from page 4 of this thread lays this out nicely:

Originally Posted by dynoguy88
TUESDAY MORNING (October 27, 1981) - The record store owner goes to open the store and finds flowers and a note from the crazy from Detroit. The note says -

"Roses are red,
the sky is blue.
They found him dead,
and they'll find you too."

TUESDAY AFTERNOON - Police question the crazy from Detroit. But since Kurt was just missing at this time, they let him go. He is never seen again.
But according to the article, our colorful homeless man left his verse for the shopkeep on Thursday morning, or the day after Sova was found:

Originally Posted by Bill Sammon
To make matters worse, when Oros arrived at the record store Thursday morning, a neighboring merchant gave her a bouquet of flowers left for her by the man.

"There was a note in it," Oros recalled. "It said: 'Roses are red, the sky is blue. They found him dead and they'll find you, too.'

By the time the man showed up at the store again, Oros had alerted Cleveland police, who sent two detectives.

"They took him outside and were sitting in their car with him," Oros recalled. "They checked! him out. They told me he was just some wacko from Detroit."

The man was released and Oros never saw him again. The man was never interviewed by Newburgh Heights police.
It's possible, of course, that the author of the article, and not UM, was wrong. But I think it a good deal more likely that our homeless man was a good listener, rather than a soothsayer.

But, in terms of pursuing this case, the big thing to me seems to be what kind of crime anyone will ever be able to prove went on here. A kid under 18 begins the last day anyone can say for absolute CERTAIN he was alive by drinking Everclear - **** you should not **** around with, by the way - and winds up dead. Well, they evidently know he got the Everclear, before he ever got to the party, and that means they probably know who got it for him. Anyone at the party can claim, and it will never be disproven, that Kurt was already significantly intoxicated before he ever arrived, you know, from that Everclear he had been drinking all day. So, if Kurt then subsequently drank some more and got even worse, or took a drug that reacted badly with the alcohol - highly likely, IMHO (i.e., that neither the alcohol nor the drug in question would have been enough by themselves to kill him, but the COMBINATION of the two were what did it), the people at the party can always plausibly claim that what truly began the process of killing Kurt began before he ever arrived at that party. At this point, there is no way to disprove that assertion.

So, I don't think filing any sort of murder charge, no matter how convoluted, is in the offing. And everything else that you might conceivably envision someone being charged with in connection with this event has long since passed its statute of limitations: drug possession or distribution, the sale or providing of alcohol to an underage person, improperly disposing of a body, obstruction of justice, etc.

Thus, even if we could get a blow-by-blow description of what happened from the time Kurt left his house that Friday until the time he was found dead, and the names and current locations of everyone he was with those five days, I have my doubts about whether any of htem could be prosecuted for anything at this point.
"You can't say the words that the rock makes you feel like." - Patty Johnson
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote