JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Default NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Enters 2020 Presidential Race

Mayor Bill de Blasio Enters 2020 Race for President
by Jeffery C. Mays and William Neuman
May 16, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDhsPyJzvk

Mayor Bill de Blasio rose to power by depicting New York as a “tale of two cities” riven by income inequality, and then built his biggest successes like universal prekindergarten around that theme. Now he will test whether his platform can resonate on a national stage.

Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat, announced on Thursday that he was running for president, seeking to show that his brand of urban progressive leadership can be a model for the country, and that his familiarity with President Trump, a fellow New Yorker, made him best suited to defeat the president.

It will be a steep challenge: He becomes the 23rd Democrat to enter the presidential race, and he does so against the counsel of many of his trusted advisers, and in the face of two centuries of history.

No sitting mayor has been elected to the presidency, and if Mr. de Blasio, 58, is to be the first, he must overcome daunting deficits in polls and fund-raising.

His announcement, in a three-minute video titled “Working People First,” comes after months of groundwork that has included visits to early presidential primary states, a fund-raiser in Boston and a circuslike news conference this week in the lobby of Trump Tower.

The video began with what has become the mayor’s tagline this year, as he has flirted with declaring his candidacy. “There’s plenty of money in this country, it’s just in the wrong hands,” he said, before highlighting his accomplishments as mayor — most of them tied to reducing income inequality, like raising the minimum wage or paid sick leave — and said that those successes could be replicated nationwide.

People in every part of this country feel stuck, or even like they’re going backward,” he said in the video. “But the rich got richer.

The mayor also gave examples of how he has confronted Mr. Trump, on issues like immigration and climate change.

I’m a New Yorker. I’ve known Trump’s a bully for a long time,” he said. “I’ve beaten him before, and I will do it again.

Mr. de Blasio then appeared on ABC’s "Good Morning America" with his wife, Chirlane McCray, seemingly intent on drawing the attention of Mr. Trump right out of the box, calling him “Con Don” — using Mr. Trump’s tactic of coining demeaning nicknames for rivals.

Asked what set him apart in the big Democratic field, Mr. de Blasio returned to a likely central campaign theme: “Working Americans deserve better. And I know we can do it because I’ve done it here in the largest, toughest city in this country.

It did not take long for Mr. Trump to respond on Twitter, calling Mr. de Blasio “the worst mayor” in the country.

Hours later, he elevated his criticism, using a video that appeared to be taken on Air Force One to tell the mayor to “get back to New York City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/n...president.html
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote