View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #137
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite Sketch View Post
I think UM, in general, had a very conservative bent to it, especially in its early years, which is why they shied away from topics like same-sex relationships. I can't think of any case before Bryan Nisenfeld's (which of course was years after the NBC run) where Stack mentioned anything about homosexuality, aside from the Leo Khoury case with that awful scene of his henchman recruiting someone 'from the gay community' as a hitman.:
Since we're talking about the late 80's here, I don't know if you can really say the show had a "conservative bent" in those early years that transitioned in to the 90's as much as it was the norm for all television. If you pick out any sitcom or drama from those exact years, even having a gay character was much too controversial unless it was the rarely seen guest star who's only purpose was to stand in for "the very special episode." And even those were once in a blue moon.

As much as you can watch the Mark Groezinger segment now and probably roll your eyes over how much they tried to tip-toe around the lesbian angle between Judy and her friend, just the fact that they pointed it out is kind of a miracle considering this aired in 1989.

And although Matthew Chase disappeared and his segment aired in 1988, his sexuality was pretty moot because his case involved a bad neighborhood and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That killer wanted his Mathew's money.

I do remember kind of being thrown for a loop the first time I saw the Will Hendrick segment. It was the first time I ever remembered hearing the word, "gay" on the show. It centered on a missing gay college kid and had interviews with his partner and parents, the mother in particular saying she worried that some psycho who didn't like gay people might have killed her son. And they even show a reenactment of the partner firing an employee after the employee called him a f*ggot. (And yes, the actor even said the actual word.)

What's interesting about the Bryan Nisenfeld segment is that we still don't even know for sure if he was gay. It was theorized by an investigator who read his poetry and an RA in his dorm. But his friends and family can only speculate.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote