View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #149
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimejunky
As someone who is riddled with both alcoholism (I'm sober now) and severe depression, anxiety, and panic disorder, I just want to add that there is a very high co-morbidity with addiction and mental illness.

There are a lot of possibilities with this one, but because of my own experiences, I just feel like A.J. fell off the wagon, and was terribly depressed over his "failure." When you're a recovering alcoholic and mentally ill, there is a ton of pressure to show that you've "cleaned up your life." A lot of people (most, I'd wager) seem to think that it's just a matter of growing up, pulling yourself up by the bootstraps, and deciding to live right. That is not at all how it is. It's disease, it's addiction, it's terrible, and it's not always totally within your control.

Along those lines, I've tried to kill myself, and I acted very normally before. I cleaned up and did chores first so that I'd leave less trouble behind.

I feel so sad about this case; A.J. seemed like such a sweet man, and I am so sorry for his family.
Thanks for sharing, CJ. I wouldnt be blessed with what I have today if I hadnt sobered up myself. I haven't had a drink in 6 years. I know I won't have a drink today, but I won't know about tomorrow until tomorrow. That is if there is a tomorrow for me. There are no guarantees in this life. But now when I do wake up each morning, I tell myself that no matter what happens today, I will not pick up a drink. Many, many people with more time than myself have gone back out there and things unravel unbelievably quick. It's my belief that is what happened to AJ
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote