View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #39
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

These episodes will be edited with replacement music and missing scenes. I'll bet a year's pay on that.

Happy Days has been missing original music since the Season 2 release. There were edited episodes and missing music on Season 3 as well as Season 4. Three of the episodes on the Season 3 set were butchered: The one with Stick's introduction(missing roughly 3:30 minutes, the episode introducing Laverne and Shirley, and the 2nd Anniversary Show. There are other edits as well. I taped the Stick's episode and the Laverne and Shirley intro episode off The Hub in November and compared them to the Happy Days DVD set. The Hub episodes had scenes missing from the DVDs!! Sad. Normal customers buy DVDs of TV shows to see the episodes uncut and with no commercials. Why buy something that has scenes missing that I can still see on TV?

On the upcoming Season 5 set, in addition to all the typical background songs, you have the Valentine's Day show that was all music and the two Leather Tuscadero episodes with all the Suzie Quattro music, then all the cover songs by Richie, Potsie, and Ralph. I can't say it will all be missing, but you can bet a high percentage will be gone.

Often, CBS will not go to the trouble of replacement music, they'll just delete a scene or part of a scene. It's a crime, in my opinion. Look at the Laverne and Shirley release with the section just chopped out with The Beatles song, among many other scenes. Instead of muting the song or replacing it, they just chopped part of the scene.

I used to be a lot more hardcore on music replacement, especially on shows like this where music was a big part of the show's atmosphere. I used to be "music replacement=no sale". Realizing the highway robbery that music publishers ask for some of these songs, I can see the studio's point on some of these. However, CBS is pathetic in the way they go about it. It's one thing if you have to replace a background song because someone wants $250,000 for it. I can understand a substitution. CBS doesn't always go that route. Often, instead of finding a cheap song or a no-cost instrumental they already own, they'll just delete a scene or part of a scene. In other scenes of various shows, they'll wipe out scenes of the characters singing the songs, even a few lines. Sorry, but all the scenes need to be preserved. You don't cut scenes or dialogue, in the form of spoken word or singing. In the case of characters doing a cover or just singing in the car, at home, or anywhere, you have to pony up the money for those songs, or just don't release the show at all.

CBS butchered Cheers to the point that I quit buying one of my favorite shows after Season 3.

The Joanie Loves Chachi set has edited episodes. The 23:xx and 24:xx minute run times prove that as does the list of missing music already posted here.

The Andy Griffith Show is a good example. It has more than one edited episode but the known butchered episode, The Darlings are Coming, is missing over 3 minutes on the DVD. The saddest part is, and this shows you how little CBS researches a song before dropping it, that two of the songs they deleted were both songs already in the public domain. They were covers of two public domain songs performed by the Dillard's, playing The Darlings, in the episodes. In their capacity as actors, they sang two public domain songs, and CBS still dropped them.

Having worked for a television network, let me just tell you that TV show episodes have very consistent run times. The networks sell a finite amount of ad time per show and use a set amount of time for network promos during the breaks. When you buy DVDs and see a fluctuation of more than 15-30 seconds on run times, it's a good bet that they're edited episodes.

As a rule of thumb, television shows from the 60's to at least the mid-80's should be around 25:30 each episode. Some 50's shows ran closer to 26 minutes, as did 60's shows like Bewitched when they had introductions to an episode. If you see episodes from that era with run times under 25:17 minutes, it's a sound bet that you've got an edited episode. Run times of 24:xx are a dead giveaway, with the exception of some NBC shows. Networks sold a finite number of minutes to advertisers for each episode. That's why on DVD releases of series we know to be uncut, the run times are so consistent, with each episode running 25:17-25:32. Check out the Hogan's Heroes DVD sets for good examples of that consistency.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan; 02-10-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Colonel Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote