View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #24
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
What makes some of you think that he was gay? Is it because his roommate Steven Dahl might have seemed to be gay himself from his interview in the segment or just the picture of Matthew Chase? I'm just curious what you're basing this from.
My feelings are similar to yours, Steve. When people start speculating on someone's sexuality, one has to wonder what the speculation is based on. Sometimes people rush to judgment and base their speculation on some small piece of circumstantial evidence, such as the fact that the person currently doesn't have a significant other or has never been married.

As long as we're on the topic, I'll admit that I never suspected that Raymond Burr (the original UM host) was gay. His official biography stated that he had been married three times and had a son who was deceased. However, only one of Burr's marriages was confirmed, and it ended in divorce. It eventually came to light that his other two marriages were ficticious, and that he never had any children. In other words, he falsified the story of a deceased son and two other marriages to cover up the truth about his orientation.

The late Dick Sargent did a similar thing. When he was doing the ABC TV show Bewitched, the network's press biography stated that he had an ex-wife. By many accounts, however, Sargent's homosexuality was an open secret among the cast and crew of the series. But it wasn't until 1991 when Sargent publicly acknowledged that he was gay. He admittedly made up the story of an ex-wife so that people wouldn't speculate on his sexuality.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote