View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
BM_fanforever
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
On the DVD set, the producers/writers who were interviewed and participated in the commentary on the three-part series finale said they couldn't understand why women would want to watch the show. Obviously, I'm a woman and absolutely love this show - and here's why...

The show's humor is right up my alley. It is dry and sarcastic but not mean-spirited, which has to be the toughest balance of all to strike in a sitcom.

Watching this show is like watching a play - 99% of the action takes place in the squad room and Barney's ajoining office. I can't think of any other sitcom that has taken place in such tight confines, let alone doing it as well.

There were terrific characters who had their own quirks and foibles. They showed that cops aren't perfect, but do the best they can despite being at the mercy of budget cuts, layoffs, etc. Barney also showed that a boss can be someone to be admired and who cared, and not an ogre.

Then you had first rate acting, directing, writing, and production values. How many other TV crews were encouraged to keep the set looking like a dump?? All the cigarette butts and other trash on the floor was left to make the 12th look even more like a pit than it already was!!

Last, but certainly not least - and you knew this was coming!!

You nailed it! I'm not a big fan of watching too much male-female tension -- there are MANY other shows that embody that and do a good to horrible job of it -- depends on so much the writing quality AND the natural chemistry between the actor and actress..... So when I want to watch good plot, topical storylines, interesting characters, it's easier when watching a show generally with an all male cast. For the moment, I don't remember or have a favourite all-female cast show except perhaps HOT in Cleveland (but they, like many 'female' shows tend to spend a lot of time on the women trying to go after men, get validation through men, etc...).

But back to watching an all-male cast... I was an early watcher and predictor of the success of the original Law and Order. I'm a big FAN of the original all-male cast. Complete police procedural... mostly plot-driven, topical (stories grabbed from the headlines!), fantastic writing and ALL about the the investigation, then court... very little personal life (great!) EXCEPT what you learned by carefully listening to the dialogue!
BM_fanforever is offline   Reply With Quote