View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Larry Tate

Why York stopped working in the 1980s from Filmfax Magazine interview (issue 32 April/May 1992):

"I had to join AFTRA which cost me $900. (Johnny) Carson gave me $1,000 for half a day of work. By the time I paid the union and my agent the check came to $3.50. Then everything stopped. I didn't get anymore calls and that went on for a year. I started teaching acting in Hollywood. That kept me in money."

York was to discover that his agent had failed to register him properly with the Screen Actor's Guild. Therefore, they had no agent on record for York. York discovered this when he happened to speak to someone at the Screen Actor's Guild on anther matter. He mentioned his dry spell and was told that he had received plenty of calls, but since they had no agent listed for him, and were not allowed to give out home telephone numbers, they were unable to help prospective employers. That was the end of show business for Dick York.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Another article from the mid to late 1980s from the National Enquirer (sadly) had a tiny interview with Dick York where he mentioned his emphysema diagnosis. Although you never know with the National Enquirer, this time they had his diagnosis correct.

-----------------------------------[/QUOTE]
His emphysema was moot, it was the pain of his degenerative back & spine that caused such pain as to no longer allow him to endure the grind of a weekly TV show or much acting at all, this was well known in the industry and resulted in his not receiving offers.

York even states in the article that after he was on his feet again the no contact info re him was only in place for a year and was then corrected, thereafter his lack of calls were for the reasons mentioned by me.

York was constantly in denial and even delusional about many aspects of his life, such as Liz's view of him, his ability to recover with just a summer off after his collapse and as to why the offers stopped.

He was weird and often lost in his own fantasy world rather then reality.
Larry Tate is offline   Reply With Quote