View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
Also, if Christians are tired of being stereotyped as judgmental, out-of-touch idiots, then stop having the loudest, most obnoxious ones be the mouthpiece of the religion.
Valid point. There are many loud and obnoxious people who speak in the name of Christ and I really wish they wouldn't, particularly when they say things totally incongruent with what Christ said in The Bible.
Ultimately, Jesus Himself is the only real mouthpiece for Christianity. Sadly, many of us who follow Him still fail miserably at times and once again must ask for His forgiveness and help to move forward. God is still working to bring to completion the work He has begun. (Philippians 1:6)
As a follower of Jesus, I agree with Phil Robertson in that The Bible condemns homosexuality as sin. However, I don't like that the phrase commonly used for comments like his is "anti-gay". I think "anti-homosexuality" would be more precise. "Gay" is used to refer to an entire community of people and I think it's wrong to assume that Mr. Robertson or any Christian is against gay people. Jesus certainly isn't. He loves gay people- He loves all people.
However, He is against homosexuality because it's a perversion of the sexual order and standard He set. (See Matthew 19, Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and there are more still.) But, as Mr. Robertson was trying to say, that is just one of many sins- and we're all guilty of sin. In comparing homosexuality to bestiality and having sex outside of marriage, I believe Mr. Robertson was pointing out the various facets of sexual immorality in general. There are plenty of other sins that are not sexual in nature- drunkenness, slander, swindling, idolatry, etc. We've all done wrong at some point. That is why we all need a Savior- and that's what God sent us at Christmas- Christ the Savior, who went to the cross to die and pay for our sins and rose again from the dead, so that by putting our faith in Him, we could have forgiveness and salvation and eternity with Him in Heaven.
I do agree that he could have said this in a more refined and nicer way- his graphic description of the physicality of sex does come off as off-color, for sure.
The problem here- and I think many Christians forget this- is that when we state that The Bible says homosexuality is a sin- while this is true, we must remember that we are in effect telling an entire group of people that they are wrong- and wrong for something that they believe is beyond their control because it's an innate part of their being. (Whether that is or not, I don't care to debate here. I do believe there are genetic predispositions to this, just like there are towards alcoholism and stealing. Of course, I think the reason for that is because of the fall of man and the corruption of the world through sin- back in Genesis 3.)
So the gay community sees any statement saying that homosexuality is wrong as an attack on them as a person. It invalidates their very existence! And this is one major reason Christians (and people of different religious faiths that condemn homosexuality, for that matter) should be very careful in how we broach this topic. For the Christian, the view is different because we see it as two different things. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says that if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation- the old has gone and the new has come! However, even though we have a new life in Christ, the old one still lingers and gnaws at us. (Cue the psychomachia- i.e. struggle between the angel and devil pulling at us.) So for a Christian, whatever former identity we had in the natural human flesh is dead. As Colossians 3 tells us, we must set our minds on things above and not on earthly things. For we died and our lives are now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, appears, then we also will appear with Him in glory.
So the Christian view is that our old lives have been crucified with Christ and we no longer live- but Christ lives in us! The life we live in the body we live by faith in the Son of God, who loved us and gave Himself for us. (see Galatians 2:20) He loves us all and gave Himself for all of us.
And this gets to the disconnect I was talking about. For Christians, we view the whole world as being born with an innate sin nature. The natural human being has a natural bent towards doing wrong. (This is why parents never have to teach children how to be selfish or how to fight with their siblings over toys or how to lie or how to disobey. Children do this naturally because of their fallen nature.)
Homosexuality and all sexual immorality- and every other kind of sin- falls under that old nature that we all struggle with every day. And as Romans 3:23 tells us, we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. And Romans 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death (i.e. eternal separation from God in Hell), but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (eternal happiness with God in Heaven!) And because He is good and He loves us, Jesus came to set us free from sin, death, the devil and Hell- to forgive us for all those wrongs and to make us new- to give us a new life that is set free to obey God through His own power.
For those who do not believe in Christ, I know that this will most likely not make much sense, but I hope it doesn't come off as anything but loving because I don't intend it any other way.
For those who don't follow Christ and who have homosexual tendencies and desires, I know many have accepted this as part of their DNA and makeup and of course, we want to celebrate every person because every person is made in the image of God and is loved by Him. And Christians should love everyone because Jesus commands us to do so- in fact, He said that the world will know we are Christians by our love.
And while I do believe every person is valuable and loved immeasurably by God and because of that, I love everyone too- I also must "speak the Truth in Love" as Ephesians 4:15 commands.
This is what too many who claim to be followers of Christ get wrong, I think. It's too easy to forget that we are all ultimately the same in the eyes of God and are all equally loved. And above all, we must love God with all we've got and love our neighbor as ourselves. (Not to mention love our enemies as well.) And it's okay if people disagree about sexuality and the standards for morality. God still loves you and so do I. We don't have to agree- of course, I want everyone to come to know the love of Jesus, but He doesn't force Himself on anyone- and I don't believe in that either. Everyone must make their own choice about what they will do with Jesus.
And no matter what choice you make, God's going to keep on loving you and so will I. May He bless us all especially at this Christmas season.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote