View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #88
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventies_sitcoms
I think it's more of the rarity than quality. I mean a lot of the shows in reruns I don't think are really better or worse than Maude. I don't understand how the show was so huge, but it is never given a proper chance in reruns to obtain a new fanbase. It is yanked because channels are scared of the "sponsors" for showing "low-rated" shows.

As for people saying Maude was a political show I don't get it. The episodes I taped from On Demand weren't all political so I don't know what people are yapping about. I do vaguely remember her running for Congress, but other than that what was so constantly political about the show that killed it in syndication?

I just think a lot of people didn't like a dominating and in your face female head character of a show.

I would watch this show anytime over a lot of others, but I guess I'm saying that because I'm a Bea Arthur fan. I enjoy her sarcastic style of humor, and for me that makes the show enjoyable and good over a lot of other programs. I can see why a lot of people don't like it. Plus you get 1980s scream queen Adrienne Barbeau in the series too.
I wonder if Maude is one of those shows that in the long run, suffered by being "too main character centric"? What I mean is that if watch that show now, you'll see that it barely has supporting characters; they have nothing to do except feed Bea Arthur/Maude brief straight lines, and sometimes she even steals those. Literally, the supporting cast would just stand there silent while she set up her own jokes.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote