View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
GentlemanJim
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
For example, Gurdy Vincent who had to resort to eating pet food could have went to the welfare office and received emergency food stamps because she was over 65 and income was under the limit. She also would have qualified for ongoing food stamps since she was elderly and struggling to pay utilities.

Unless it wasn't a such thing as emergency food stamps in 1974
I am by no means an expert, but I was a working adult in 1974, and had several friends who were not working, and this is what I recall:

Back in the day if you were a man and did not have a bonafide physical disability, you were not going to get welfare. Further, if you were female, you needed un-emancipated dependent children to get benefits. A "welfare mama" in other words.

As far as your real world job today goes, do you customarily award food stamps to individuals receiving social security retirement benefits? As I recall from about 10 years ago, in order to get $250/month in foodstamps, you had to have like next to no resources of any kind. If you had over $400/month coming in in any form, they started shrinking the amount of food stamps you were eligible for, and the drop off was steep (bear in mind this is for individuals without children)
GentlemanJim is online now   Reply With Quote