View Full Version : Monica Rizzo

ozgirl
09-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Just watching another old repear here in Australia.

Did her husband ever confess to the bones appearing in their background (Some of the bones turned out to be hers also)
Weird story

Kane
09-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ozgirl

Did her husband ever confess to the bones appearing in their background (Some of the bones turned out to be hers also)
Weird story

If he did, the public doesn't know it. Unfortunately, the case has been cold for years, as I haven't been able to find anything to suggest any recent developments.

Fletch
08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
If he did, the public doesn't know it. Unfortunately, the case has been cold for years, as I haven't been able to find anything to suggest any recent developments.

I found this - apparently he beat and threatened to chop his girlfriend into pieces (according to her). This led to a standoff and SWAT members shot him in the stomach.

http://www.lmtonline.com/news/archive/0601/pagea6.pdf#search='monika%20rizzo'

Also, the police had evidence to believe he may have killed those people and his wife to impress a motorcycle gang he was trying to join.

http://www.texnews.com/texas97/burial091097.html

I really have a strong feeling this guy is guilty as sin.

KyooMac
08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Man, I know he did it. I just watched that episode on my Tivo and you could tell he was G-U-I-L-T-Y!!!

PrettyinPink55
08-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Man, I know he did it. I just watched that episode on my Tivo and you could tell he was G-U-I-L-T-Y!!!

All throughout the story (they had recently aired it) I kept saying "GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!!" :mad:

jcjh20
08-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I thought this was really strange. I mean, it's quite apparent that the victim's husband most likely is the perpetrator of this tragedy, but you could only imagine the circumstances in which lead up to Monica's murder, just exactly how she was murdered and most importantly, how she ended up in itty bitty little pieces of bone fragment.

Fletch
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
I thought this was really strange. I mean, it's quite apparent that the victim's husband most likely is the perpetrator of this tragedy, but you could only imagine the circumstances in which lead up to Monica's murder, just exactly how she was murdered and most importantly, how she ended up in itty bitty little pieces of bone fragment.

Exactly. I cannot believe that the police haven't been able to link him to the crimes through DNA or something to that effect. :(

Steffromquebec73
08-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Yeah I think he might be guilty. What was the seizures he was having? And the fact that M. Rizzo went away from her job one day was spooy as hell. A great segment, all in all.

But did they ever found out who was the man who called the Police w/info re: Monica Rizzo's bones? He really did seem to know where the bones were.

How about their son? Was he questionned also?

(I'll check out the above link).

Fletch
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah I think he might be guilty. What was the seizures he was having?

Well, he was arrested later with drugs. The seizures could have been caused by drug use. Or who knows...it could have been an act. It's strange to me that they happened right as the police were knocking at the door, unexpectedly. Maybe they should have ask a Doctor to run tests and figure out if he was really having seizures or if he was faking it.

connieallbright
06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't understand why Rizzo wasn't charged. It isn't like someone broke into his backyard and buried the remains of three people all over the yard in the middle of the night. True, he might not be the killer but he is clearly involved.

How could his neighbors allow him to remain in the community? Can you even imagine living on the same block as someone like that knowing they hadn't been charged?

How many corpse need to be found in your backyard before you're considered guilty. It would be like John Wayne Gacy claiming that he didn't know how those bodies got into his crawl space.

greatgarrett2
06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Who else would put her bones in his backyard? What are the odds?

That's what intrigues me about this case is that the murderer or murderers had to have intimate knowledge of the Rizzos and the Rizzo's backyard, which makes me think that it was either Mr. Rizzo who did it, as this thread suggests, or someone who knew the Rizzos.

peachysquirt21
06-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I find it really hard to believe that Mr. Rizzo didnt know anything about the bones in his backyard especially given there were bones also found in his BBQ grill.

curlyroller
06-18-2006, 02:50 PM
here's an interesting update on this story:

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/020599/tex_LD0666.001.shtml

apparently, it turns out the bones were only from one body. :o

New Brandon
06-18-2006, 05:29 PM

If this is the same story I'm thinking about, that is revealed on the commentary of the Bizarre Murders set as well.

Dislimb
06-19-2006, 03:07 AM
If this is the same story I'm thinking about, that is revealed on the commentary of the Bizarre Murders set as well.

Yep, that's the one.

LooksLikeCRicci
06-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm with the above commenter: I'd think bones found in the BBQ grill would qualify as some serious evidence against someone... I, too, think that the husband either did it or was seriously involved.

connieallbright
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM

can you post the content of the story update?

LooksLikeCRicci
06-20-2006, 09:41 AM
can you post the content of the story update?

Yes, please. I couldn't access the story, either.

curlyroller
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
sorry, all! here you go:

Web posted Friday, February 5, 1999 5:54 a.m. CT

Questions of identity raised over backyard bone fragments

The Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Hundreds of bone fragments found in a man's back yard might not belong to four homicide victims, as police originally announced in 1997.

An autopsy and DNA tests have determined that the bones belonged to only one person, the San Antonio Express-News reported Thursday.

The bones were found in July and August 1997 in the yard of Leonard Rizzo, whose wife, Monika, 44, was declared missing a few weeks earlier.

After conducting an intensive dig in the yard, police said in two separate news conferences in August 1997 that the bone fragments belonged to Monika Rizzo and three other people.

Investigators now hope to get conclusive answers with DNA tests to be done at the Armed Forces Institute in Washington, said Capt. Jeff Page, commander of violent crimes unit of the San Antonio Police Department.

Police have never filed any charges in the case.

Some of the chopped up bones were found strewn across the ground in Leonard Rizzo's yard. Others were found in a barbecue pit and others were unearthed just below the topsoil.

Police concluded the bones belonged to four people based on DNA tests by Dallas-based GeneScreen Labs Inc. But an autopsy and a second DNA test determined the bones belonged to one person, the Express-News reported.

A July 5, 1997, autopsy by the Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office determined that the bones were from an adult, white female, probably between the ages of 18 and 45.

"There was absolutely no evidence of more than one body," Dr. Vincent DiMaio, the county's chief medical examiner, told the Express-News.

Page and other police officials said Wednesday the GeneScreen Labs conclusions that police publicized in 1997 were "preliminary." Police still believe at least some of the bones belonged to Monika Rizzo.

Leonard Rizzo, who still lives at the home, said Wednesday that police didn't leave any room for doubt when they announced that the remains of several people were scattered throughout his yard.

alanmann
06-24-2006, 07:44 AM
They'll never know what truly happened on this case, will they?

angel25
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I didn't know that anything else had happened with the Monica Rizzo case. Did they find who those bones belonged to? Like who the people actually were?

h20ballerina
09-23-2006, 10:06 AM
have there been any other advancements in the case

DJ_Foxx
09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Who else would put her bones in his backyard? What are the odds?

That's what intrigues me about this case is that the murderer or murderers had to have intimate knowledge of the Rizzos and the Rizzo's backyard, which makes me think that it was either Mr. Rizzo who did it, as this thread suggests, or someone who knew the Rizzos.
more importantly, who gave the police the tip to look in the backyard?

sam starkweather
09-16-2007, 09:17 PM
This is one of my favorites on the Bizarre Murders dvd for sure. The day I saw this on Lifetime, years ago, I knew that this dude was quilty. There have been a handful of people on this show over the years that just make you feel creepy, and you know that they are lying. He is one of them. For sure.

So, if it is only one person in the backyard, that defintely makes it alittle less creepy(not that murder ISNT creepy, but 4 people is harder to deal with...) but still very interesting. I mean, the grill? As guilty as this guy was, why would he put the remains in his own backyard? And on top of that, why were the bones(and bag of flesh, FREAKIN GROSS) scattered around? This just doesnt make sense.

Also, why did she leave work unexpectedly? Did the person that called the San Antonio Police call her?

And the seisure of Mr. Rizzo..... How weird. He could have been

1)Faking. But why? It didnt hinder nor help the case.
2) Drug related. However, wouldnt they have noticed??
3) My oddball, probably didnt happen, theory. Perhaps Monika had been beaten so many times that she decided to take her husband out. Somehow, she poisoned him. He got sick, and had seizures, for a matter of days, as the story said. The husband(or son???) found out what she did, and instead of helping her, it got her murdered? I know this is QUITE farfetched, but something has to link all of this together...

Unless that link that is posted above(that i didnt read yet!) already does... In which case.. nm!

Also, the son being the caller isnt that farfetched. I reckon, i dunno....

Also, the Skull Duggery case(wife missing, head found outside of Mexican Restaurant) is another story that I am 100 percent sure that the husband was guilty. It was great that the stories were in order on the dvd.

ilse
09-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Not once did I ever suspect the husband did it. The man who called the police is the killer. A neighbor? The son? Did Monika have a secret lover? Someone planted the bones in the yard to make it look like her husband did it. The person that called the police is the murderer. That day she left work for lunch and never came back was strange. Why would she leave without taking her purse. Did she receive a call from someone and did she go to meet that person? Since she left without taking her purse, that tells me something seriously must have been wrong. A policeman went to check on her one day and said she was bruised? Was her husband really home during that time? It could have been someone else in that house with her beating her up. The show says 4 different people were buried in the back yard, but in someone else's post they say more recent news claims it was just 1 body (female between 18-45). Do they even know for sure she's dead????

crystaldawn
09-17-2007, 06:42 AM
As far as whether she is dead I do the think the dna tests on the bones have determined that it was definitely her remains. I also thought it was a strange coincidence that her husband happened to be having a seizure right when the cops got there. I did read in an article a while back that they think it was a drug overdose which makes me wonder if he could have been attempting suicide.

Erin S
11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Not once did I ever suspect the husband did it. The man who called the police is the killer. A neighbor? The son? Did Monika have a secret lover? Someone planted the bones in the yard to make it look like her husband did it. The person that called the police is the murderer. That day she left work for lunch and never came back was strange. Why would she leave without taking her purse. Did she receive a call from someone and did she go to meet that person? Since she left without taking her purse, that tells me something seriously must have been wrong. A policeman went to check on her one day and said she was bruised? Was her husband really home during that time? It could have been someone else in that house with her beating her up. The show says 4 different people were buried in the back yard, but in someone else's post they say more recent news claims it was just 1 body (female between 18-45). Do they even know for sure she's dead????

I like your post...

I, too, still have suspicions as to who the caller was. Was it ruled out that it could have been the husband? Maybe the husband wanted to make it look like it wouldn't have been possible for him to commit the crime ("somebody other than the husband had to call"). Or, was a man from the motorcycle gang feeling guilty, and knowing of the plan or incidence, call to clear a guilty conscience?

I had curiosity toward the son... why would neither the husband or son call police if she had been missing?

And how could they say that FOUR people were in that backyard, and later say ONE? Isn't that strange? What kind of work is that?

LASTLY - why would the husband put the bones so obviously in the backyard? That wouldn't make sense to me. And I don't think that anybody had to know the backyard intimately or well in order to place the bones back there. Was he framed?

And it must mean something that the parents believe that the son-in-law is to blame for their daughter's death. Perhaps they didn't think too highly of him?

There are just so many unanswered questions in this case.

Erin S
11-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Something I found in another forum:

It was ten years ago this month that Bill and Monika McKinney last saw their daughter, Monika Rizzo, alive. The case has gone cold, but Monika's parents still contend their son-in-law is responsible for their only child's death.

The holidays aren't easy for the McKinneys, especially Christmas.
"That was always a family day," says Bill McKinney. "They were all here and I didn't notice anything," adds his wife, Monika McKinney.

The last time they saw their daughter, Monika Rizzo, was January of 1997.

Months later, on July 4th, her skeletal remains were found in the back yard of the home she shared with her husband, Leonard Rizzo.

At the time, Leonard Rizzo could not give reporters an explanation for the gruesome discovery. "No, I can't. I wish I could," he said.

"If you look at the time, the opportunity, and motive... it fits the husband right down the line," says Bill. "There's no doubt. It's just so circumstantial, it's pathetic."

The months soon turned into years. The investigation grew cold despite reassurances from police.

"I want to know more," says Monika's mother.

The McKinneys say there's only one person that needs to be held accountable for their daughter's death: Leonard Rizzo.

"Before I would let the man walk free without a trial...," says Bill, "he should have been put on trial."

They have accepted the fact their daughter's killer might never be brought to justice, but the pain of losing their only child will never go away.

"You can't forget that," says Monika McKinney. "There's no way. I'll never forget that. I hate his guts."
Again, Leonard Rizzo was never charged with Monika's murder. Their oldest son together died shortly after Monika. Their other son is now serving in Iraq.

Though the source link is no longer valid: http://www.woai.com/Error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/common/urlscan/500.aspx

TracyLynnS
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't think this has been posted before. Source: http://mysterytopia.com/2008/08/unsolved-mystery-san-antonio-crime.html I'm going to post the content, in case the link goes bad.

On May 5, 1997, Monika Rizzo took a break from her job at the Dept. of Human Resources and never returned. Police received a tip that her bones were buried in the backyard. They searched and found bones, but they were not Monika's. Whose were they and where is Monika? A later search discovered more bones, including some that were Monika's. In all, nearly 300 fragments of human bones were found.

Plea bargain offer disputed in backyard bone case

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Nearly a year after human bones were found behind his home, the husband of a missing woman is disputing police claims that he offered information in the case in exchange for a lenient sentence.

Police homicide Sgt. Darrel Volz said Leonard Rizzo wanted to make a deal with investigators for a 10-year probated sentence after bones were found in his back yard beginning last July.

But Rizzo said detectives were the ones who suggested several possibilities of light sentences if he would confess to killing his wife Monika, who was last seen alive May 27, 1997.

Bone fragments found in Rizzo's yard were later identified through DNA testing as those of Monika Rizzo and three other people.

Rizzo has steadfastly maintained his innocence.

Monika Rizzo has not been declared dead because only a few of her bones were found, according to the DNA test results. But police said they believe foul play was involved in her disappearance.

A few months before she vanished, her co-workers said they noticed she was losing lots of weight and had bruises on her face and arms.

Volz said Rizzo offered to make a deal several times during a police interview July 5, 1997.

"He said if we can guarantee him 10 years probation without jail time, then he would tell us everything," Volz was quoted as saying in Friday's San Antonio Express-News.

"We said we can't make a deal. It's not within our powers," Volz said.

During the interview, Rizzo gave police a written statement in which he denied any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

An anonymous call to police had led them to find the chopped-up bones, hair and a skull in the Rizzos' backyard, which was overgrown with weeds and sunflowers.

Police found more than 200 to 300 pieces of evidence, including garbage bags of human remains; a backyard barbecue pit containing finger bones; an assortment of knives and gardening tools; a bench grinder; and a garbage disposal.

Rizzo has questioned the DNA results and maintains his belief that his wife is alive even though several leg bones were identified as Monika's.

Rizzo and both his sons, Leonard Jr., 23, and Vincent, 20, sent flowers to a memorial service held by Monika and Bill McKinney, Monika Rizzo's parents, last September.

The mysterious disappearance of Monika Rizzo has left her family and police with more questions than answers.

No arrests have been made in the case.

A composite sketch was drawn of another woman whose bone fragments were found, but that drawing has not yet yielded any information.

TracyLynnS
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
So what the heck is going on with this case? First they say that there are remains of 4 people, including Monika, in the Rizzo's back yard, then they say that only Monika's remains are in the back yard, but there's an article stating that they had enough of another person's remains to make a composite sketch to release to the public, hoping to identify her!

Monika went missing back in 1997. DNA was pretty darn good back then and it's gotten better every year since. I can't believe that in the late 90s, DNA couldn't determine between one person and four. Something's fishy there.

synthisislab
03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
So did Leonard Rizzo ever get released from prison for that unrelated case (where I think he beat his girlfriend and had a shoot out with the police)?

TracyLynnS
03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm looking stuff up. I got this far. An article that I think has been posted before, from 10 years ago.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/060199/sta_0601990009.shtml

Tuesday, June 1, 1999
Last modified at 12:33 a.m. on Tuesday, June 1, 1999
Girlfriend: Rizzo threatened to chop her up

SAN ANTONIO {AP} The girlfriend of a man whose backyard contained buried human bones said he threatened to cut her into pieces, police said.

The girlfriend, recovering from wounds Leonard Rizzo allegedly inflicted during a Friday night argument, asked police Saturday to accompany her to a mobile home they shared so she could collect her belongings.

This led to a four-hour standoff with police, ending when a SWAT team member shot the 47-year-old Rizzo in the stomach. Police said Rizzo was shot after he fired in the air and then pointed his gun at an officer.

Rizzo went to Brooke Army Medical Center with a gunshot wound in his abdomen. He was listed in stable condition Monday.

The standoff happened in a neighborhood near Rizzo's former home where chopped-up human remains were found buried in the backyard and in a barbecue pit in 1997.

Police said DNA tests show some of the bone fragments belong to Rizzo's missing wife, Monika, but he has not been charged in connection with the case.

Rizzo's 38-year-old girlfriend, whom police did not identify, told investigators Rizzo threatened to "kill her, chop her up, put her in a garbage bag and bury her," a police report stated.

Responding to calls from neighbors Friday, police found Rizzo's girlfriend covered in blood and running down the street.

Rizzo's girlfriend told police he also accused her of killing his wife. A witness said Rizzo asked the woman where she'd buried his wife, then began yelling.

Rizzo was being held without bond, charged with aggravated assault on a police officer. Police added a charge of possession of a controlled substance after paramedics reported finding a plastic bag with 1.5 grams of a substance believed to be methamphetamine in the pocket of Rizzo's jeans.

Rizzo had been charged with another count of possession of methamphetamine 10 days earlier.

Apostapler
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
A fine upstanding fellow, this one. It boggles me that his wife's bones were found in his yard, but police can't seem to arrest him for it. WTF?

TracyLynnS
03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Holy Crap! In 2002, the SOB filed to receive her state employee benefits! He was denied for not exausting all other options first, plus it was dismissed because it was in the wrong jurisdiction? idk, Our UM board lawyers can explain that part to us.

It was filed in 2005. Here's a link to the court documents. One thing I did understand was that it said is that San Antonio dectives still consider Leonard Rizzo to be a suspect in Monika's death (she was "judicially" declared dead in 1999).

http://www.4thcoa.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/htmlopinion.asp?OpinionId=18541

TracyLynnS
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Here's an old article from 1997. You have to scroll down to get to it, so I copied it below. http://www.pecos.net/news/arch97a/080597p.htm

More human bones found in
backyard search for human bodies

SAN ANTONIO (AP) August 5, 1997 - Bones believed to be from a human hand and possibly part of a jaw have been found in a grave behind a San Antonio home where officials last month found other skeletal remains.

The bones were unearthed Sunday by archaeologists and police. Officials spent the weekend digging through a shallow grave behind Leonard Rizzo's home where there believe as many as three bodies may be buried.

Archaeologists from the University of Texas at San Antonio's Center for Archaeological Research continued their work in Rizzo's back yard Monday.

Detectives first uncovered bones, including a human jaw, after an anonymous caller told authorities in early July that Rizzo's wife, Monika - who was reported missing June 5 - could be found in a grave behind the home.

A Dallas laboratory confirmed that the bone fragments it has examined do not belong to Mrs. Rizzo, 44.

She was last reported seen on May 27 when she left her job at the Department of Human Services for lunch.

Investigators said police may need three days to confirm that all the discovered remains are human. Detectives say they don't know the identities of the bodies.

Police are using a metal detector to find fillings that could have been on the teeth of a skull or jaw found July 7 by homicide detectives.

Police said tests will be run on a mattress, carpet and other evidence collected during a search on Saturday.

Rizzo lived at the home until Friday, when police returned to search for more bones.

Monika Rizzo's parents, Bill and Monika McKinney, waited outside the residence Sunday as police and archaeologists continued to search for more body fragments.

Mrs. McKinney cried as she sat on an American Red Cross cooler behind yellow tape that police use to control access to a crime scene.

She said she's desperate for information about her daughter's whereabouts. Mrs. McKinney said she last saw her daughter at a birthday dinner in January when she gave Mrs. Rizzo jade earrings and a ring as gifts.

McKinney said he believed his daughter had fled the city when she was reported missing, but then found her passport, driver's license and Social Security card in June at her home.
"It's a waiting game," he said.

synthisislab
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Great, a meth-head. I don't know why the case isn't brought before a grand jury with the girlfriend testifying as a character witness. I bet he probably threatened her other times too saying he'll do to her what he did to Monika, which is basically what he did in that case without naming her specifically.

TracyLynnS
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I couldn't find anything about if he got prison time for have a shoot out with the cops and threatening his girlfriend's life while possessing meth. The SWAT team did shoot him in the guts, though. So that's a little bit of justice...

XiaoGouPi
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Make no mistake about it ..

I'm positive dat SOB is dah killer of his wife. How can I be sure ?

I mean, when some came up with dah theory including himself that he was wrongfully accused, somebody put dah bones there to FRAME him, so who might that be huh? The caller who gave the tips most probably most would say..

But come on.. why would someone go through such lengths to kill your wife and specifically placed the bones in your backyard so u would take the fall for it? If there was such a person, clearly he must have hated your guts, surely if somebuddy was so seriously pissed with you, you more or less will know who that fella was. But was there any mentioning of someone else putting the bones there? Not that I know of ..

Besides, what are the chances of somebody doing all these activity, transporting all those fragments of bones, bags of flesh and scattering all these stuff ard your backyard and yr BBQ area without you noticing it ??

More importantly, his nonchalant attitude of not reporting Monica's disappearance and having ' SEIZURES ' the exact time police came over to question him more or less made him the priority one suspect in the case for me.

He didnt want to call the police because he already knew she was DEAD. He wanted for her to simply be forgotten.

That encounters with his gf and later leading to a shoot out with the police was a clear indication he was a violent and abusive man. And I believe pretty much thats what ended up with his wife.

I am even beginning with the horror speculation that he was a perversed cannibal, maybe chopping up and BBQing his victims for consumption. That explains dah bones in the grill =/

Hambone2421
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Make no mistake about it ..

I'm positive dat SOB is dah killer of his wife. How can I be sure ?

I mean, when some came up with dah theory including himself that he was wrongfully accused, somebody put dah bones there to FRAME him, so who might that be huh? The caller who gave the tips most probably most would say..

But come on.. why would someone go through such lengths to kill your wife and specifically placed the bones in your backyard so u would take the fall for it? If there was such a person, clearly he must have hated your guts, surely if somebuddy was so seriously pissed with you, you more or less will know who that fella was. But was there any mentioning of someone else putting the bones there? Not that I know of ..

Besides, what are the chances of somebody doing all these activity, transporting all those fragments of bones, bags of flesh and scattering all these stuff ard your backyard and yr BBQ area without you noticing it ??

More importantly, his nonchalant attitude of not reporting Monica's disappearance and having ' SEIZURES ' the exact time police came over to question him more or less made him the priority one suspect in the case for me.

He didnt want to call the police because he already knew she was DEAD. He wanted for her to simply be forgotten.

That encounters with his gf and later leading to a shoot out with the police was a clear indication he was a violent and abusive man. And I believe pretty much thats what ended up with his wife.

I am even beginning with the horror speculation that he was a perversed cannibal, maybe chopping up and BBQing his victims for consumption. That explains dah bones in the grill =/

You know, as goofy as that sounds of Leonard Rizzo eating his wife's body, it is a good way to dispose of a body. But I agree with an earlier poster, how in the hell does someone have their wife's bones scattered all over the backyard, then get arrested for domestic violence and threaten to kill that person in the same way his wife was killed and still not get arrested. Something strange is going on in this case.

Mastermind
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
You know, as goofy as that sounds of Leonard Rizzo eating his wife's body, it is a good way to dispose of a body. But I agree with an earlier poster, how in the hell does someone have their wife's bones scattered all over the backyard, then get arrested for domestic violence and threaten to kill that person in the same way his wife was killed and still not get arrested. Something strange is going on in this case

Well, with his wife dead he has to learn to cook..no better way than using his wife to learn. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously,

The only problem with eating someone is that you still have to do something with the bones, hair, cartilage, etc.....hence the problem in this case.

Not to be disgusting what the heck do you do with the head?:confused:

Not to get even more disgusting, but I wonder if Leonard Rizzo literally skinned and deboned his wife. I wonder if Leonard was a hunter and new how to do that to deer. He could have put the fleshy remains into jars or something and disposed of them elsewhere.

Hambone2421
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, with his wife dead he has to learn to cook..no better way than using his wife to learn. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously,

The only problem with eating someone is that you still have to do something with the bones, hair, cartilage, etc.....hence the problem in this case.

Not to be disgusting what the heck do you do with the head?:confused:

Not to get even more disgusting, but I wonder if Leonard Rizzo literally skinned and deboned his wife. I wonder if Leonard was a hunter and new how to do that to deer. He could have put the fleshy remains into jars or something and disposed of them elsewhere.

Your probably right and he probably did do something along those lines. But sheesh, you've got thew missing/dead woman's bones all over his backyard and has no idea how they got there. How has he not been arrested for this? Scott Peterson was given the death penalty on less evidence.

Mastermind
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Your probably right and he probably did do something along those lines. But sheesh, you've got thew missing/dead woman's bones all over his backyard and has no idea how they got there. How has he not been arrested for this? Scott Peterson was given the death penalty on less evidence.

Oh, I agree, wholeheatedly!!!!:mad:

Is there any rational explanation for why Monika's DNA tested positive on her remains....other than those remains are Monika's? :rolleyes:

thesanantonian
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
You know, as goofy as that sounds of Leonard Rizzo eating his wife's body, it is a good way to dispose of a body. But I agree with an earlier poster, how in the hell does someone have their wife's bones scattered all over the backyard, then get arrested for domestic violence and threaten to kill that person in the same way his wife was killed and still not get arrested. Something strange is going on in this case.

Police messed the case up and I believe they compromised the scene somehow. That's what the word around town was. Even with all the evidence, they knew they'd have a hard time nailing this guy because of technicalities. Not the first time the SAPD royally screwed up a case this big. Believe me. Everyone here knows Rizzo did it.He was a meth head and wanted to get rid of his wife. Her DNA and other unidentified DNA was found on his property. Sometimes I think this guy was an informant for the Sheriff's department or police department and that is why he was never fully charged and did time.

starmushrooms
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Police messed the case up and I believe they compromised the scene somehow. That's what the word around town was. Even with all the evidence, they knew they'd have a hard time nailing this guy because of technicalities. Not the first time the SAPD royally screwed up a case this big. Believe me. Everyone here knows Rizzo did it.He was a meth head and wanted to get rid of his wife. Her DNA and other unidentified DNA was found on his property. Sometimes I think this guy was an informant for the Sheriff's department or police department and that is why he was never fully charged and did time.

In my wildest thoughts as I was reading this thread it ran across my mind that he might have been an informant, or had something to do with the police department. I can't be sure, and I'm sure SAPD isn't about to say if he was, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

This case always made me wonder since I thought it would be pretty cut and dry after finding the bones in the backyard. I can't find the other womans sketch anywhere, does anyone know where it might be? Or was it taken away after the police switched the focus to the bones being from one person?

That is also REALLY fishy that they would suddenly go from four people to one person. There's something wrong with that.

Priddo
03-17-2010, 02:13 AM
One thing I didn't get about ths case was her randomly getting up and walking out of work and never coming back.

The only thing I can put that down to, is maybe she finally decided she'd had enough of her husband and his violence and meth etc and went home to tell him so and get her stuff and leave.

If so I guess that may have been why he did it. "You're not leaving me, I'll kill you before I let you leave" etc.

Mastermind
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Police messed the case up and I believe they compromised the scene somehow.

The person to blame here is the anonymous caller who has not stepped forward to testify.

Priddo
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd bet a lot of money that the caller was the son.

Mastermind
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd bet a lot of money that the caller was the son.

If it was the son..why would he not come forward when the case stalled?

He had the willingness to call to get his father arrested...why would he not go all the way. Especially now, considering he's got to be out of the house.

My instinct tells me it was a nosy neighbor who saw or came upon the remains.

Priddo
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I suspect the son didn't want his father to kill him as well. If I was in the sons spot I wouldn't be flat out pointing him out in a way that he'd know it's me. What happenes if they can't stick his ass in jail for it? You just know you'll be next.

I think that's the way he must have thought, he wanted his father to see him as being quiet (or not knowning about it at all, if the father didn't know he'd seen/found out). So his way of reaching out for justice was to be secretive and point the police in the right direction.

Mastermind
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I suspect the son didn't want his father to kill him as well. If I was in the sons spot I wouldn't be flat out pointing him out in a way that he'd know it's me. What happenes if they can't stick his ass in jail for it? You just know you'll be next.

I think that's the way he must have thought, he wanted his father to see him as being quiet (or not knowning about it at all, if the father didn't know he'd seen/found out). So his way of reaching out for justice was to be secretive and point the police in the right direction.

1. Back then while he was living with his father, I could understand why would be reluctant. However, now he must be living away from his father. The risk is much less now that his father will come after him. Why is the son still silent?

2. Considering his mother died, I have to imagine that he has a personal stake here in seeing his father get arrested. Revenge and justice, has to override personal safety here at some point.

3. Arguably he runs the same risk of getting killed regardless if his father knows. His father just brutally murdered his mother...what's to stop him from killing his son for not taking out the garbage.

Priddo
03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
1. Back then while he was living with his father, I could understand why would be reluctant. However, now he must be living away from his father. The risk is much less now that his father will come after him. Why is the son still silent?

2. Considering his mother died, I have to imagine that he has a personal stake here in seeing his father get arrested. Revenge and justice, has to override personal safety here at some point.

3. Arguably he runs the same risk of getting killed regardless if his father nows. His father just brutally murdered his mother...what's to stop him from killing his son for not taking out the garbage.

1. I thought he was living elsewhere, but had been living in the house that week? It has been a few weeks since I saw this case though, o maybe I've recalled it wrong there.

He's a crazy meth dealer by the sounds of it, unless I was in another country I'd be trying my best to be discreet until I know the police have enough on him to put him away.

2. This is a very fair point. However at the same time, if it was just a neighbour who saw what had happened, I feel the same applies really. Alright it's not their mother, but they know who died, and saw where the remains (well bones) were being hidden. Surely that'd make you quite sick, disturbed and angry too. The fact they called more than once to make sure the police found it kind of shows this to a point, IMO.

3. The son would feel like if he stayed on his good side, it's less likely he's going to be killed then if he goes telling the cops whatever he knows and they can't quite hold him yet....

It's easy to sit back and say "I'd just go tell the police and make sure he got put away, regardless of my safety", and I'm sue a lot of people would do this. However, if you really ever get in that situation, I think you'd find it's much harder than you ever imagined, so it's not out of the realms of possibility to keep quiet publicly, and just try to be discreet and subtle.

Anyway I don't know what really happened, this is just the feeling I get looking over the UM segment and from what I've read in here. It just seems to me like the son is the most likely one to do the calls, especially with the fact he calls back when nothing happens the first time. I jut can't see a neighbour seeing it one night and not reporting it within 5 seconds to 911 saying there's a murder just happened, you know? Sure it was bones most likely when he took them out the back to hide them, but still, if you were going to tell the police, wouldn't you be doing it ASAP? I got the feeling from the UM segment they didn't do that at all, like they waited for a day or two and called it in. I don't see why a neighbour would play it that way.

Mastermind
03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
It's easy to sit back and say "I'd just go tell the police and make sure he got put away, regardless of my safety", and I'm sue a lot of people would do this. However, if you really ever get in that situation, I think you'd find it's much harder than you ever imagined, so it's not out of the realms of possibility to keep quiet publicly, and just try to be discreet and subtle.

1.Yeah, but several years after the fact???

2. Also he had enough bravery to call the police in the first place. He definitely had some strong desire too see his own father go to jail.

I jut can't see a neighbour seeing it one night and not reporting it within 5 seconds to 911 saying there's a murder just happened, you know? Sure it was bones most likely when he took them out the back to hide them, but still, if you were going to tell the police, wouldn't you be doing it ASAP? I got the feeling from the UM segment they didn't do that at all, like they waited for a day or two and called it in. I don't see why a neighbour would play it that way.

1. I don;t know about you but I would very carefully consider my actions with my spouse before ratting my NEXT DOOR neighbor in. Unlike a family member, I don;t think Leonard Rizzo will have the same sentimentality to a non-family member. If he goes free I'm living next door to this guy a killer who has a grudge against me. The argument you gave for fear of retribution works more toward a neighbor than a son who doesn;t even live in the house (if that was the case)

2. The fact that the person decided to be anonymous and did not go to the police indicates that there was a thought put into whether and how to do the call.

3. If I'm not mistaken...the only details where details regarding the outside of the house. No details where given about what could be found inside the house. It's almost like the knowledge was limited to what could be viewed from the oustside. It almost seems like the callers knowledge is limited to the disposal of Monika or the results of the disposal.

4. If Leonard was using a woodchipper in the back yard, a neighbor is bound to get curious. I wouldn;t be surprised if a neighbor came across the skin and the bones while borrowing the lawnmower or something.

In any event, son or neighbor, that person needs to come forward, now!

If the anonymous caller is reading this forum...you need to come forward and tell the police what you saw. It;s the right thing to do.

Hambone2421
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
4. If Leonard was using a woodchipper in the back yard, a neighbor is bound to get curious. I wouldn;t be surprised if a neighbor came across the skin and the bones while borrowing the lawnmower or something.

In any event, son or neighbor, that person needs to come forward, now!

If the anonymous caller is reading this forum...you need to come forward and tell the police what you saw. It;s the right thing to do.

I agree. Plus, if it was a neighbor, wood-chippers tend to "spray" the material it is hacking up. Maybe some of Monica's remains got into a neighbors yard by accident.

Also, I think the fact that the anonymous caller said that her remains are buried under the tires in the backyard, says alot. Obviously someone saw this entire thing. Its one thing to say he killed his wife, but its another to give the exact location in his yard. Either that or Leonard Rizzo pulled a Chad Noe and in one of his drunken stupors, told someone what he did.

SolverHere
05-06-2011, 11:40 PM
When looking into this last year, I ended up reading some of the police reports. This anonymous caller (as shown by UM) did come forward and gave statements to the police. That is just not part of the segment, maybe to protect his identity at the time. He was a friend and neighbor. He said that he noticed a dog playing with the bones by the tires and saw clearly it was a skull, so he called the police. He said he was pretty sure it was Monica due to her strange disappearance (he was a friend to the couple) and was pretty sure a murder had happened.

Per other media reports and public documentation, his name is Robert Hakala.

Here is a copy of a detective report from 1997:

Affidavit for search warrant
Filed July 15, 1997
Case number: 97-W-0273

144th District Court of Bexar County
THE UNDERSIGNED AFFIANT, BEING A PEACE OFFICER UNDER THE LAWS OF STATE OF TEXAS AND BEING DULY SWORN, ON OATH, MAKES THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS AND ACCUSATIONS:

1. THERE IS, IN BEXAR COUNTY, A PERSON KNOWN AS LEONARD RIZZO Jr., DATE OF BIRTH 02/02/75. SAID PERSON IS CURRENTLY AT LARGE AND RESIDES AT 5335 N.W. LOOP 410 #1218, SAN ANTONIO, BEXAR COUNTY, TEXAS.

2. IT IS THE BELIEF OF YOUR AFFIANT THAT THE OFFENSE OF MURDER IN VIOLATION OF SECTION 19-02 OF THE PENAL CODE OF STATE OF TEXAS, WAS COMMITTED BETWEEN THE DATES OF MAY 5, AND JULY 4, 1997, IN ANTONIO, BEXAR COUNTY, TEXAS.

3. YOUR AFFIANT HAS PROBABLE CAUSE FOR SAID BELIEF BY REASON OF THE FOLLOWING FACTS:

Your Affiant has read the Preliminary Investigation Report of Officer R. HERRERA, badge number 2057, dated June 5, 1997, and reported under SAPD case number 97/335413. In his report, Off. HERRERA reports that he was contacted by LEONARD RIZZO Jr. in regards to his missing mother, MONIKA RIZZO, a female born on January 22, 1953 and who resides with LEONARD RIZZO Sr. at 4454 Forestgreen. It was reported that MONIKA RIZZO had departed her place of employment on May 5, 1997, leaving her purse and has not been seen since.

Your Affiant has spoken to Det. J. HOLGUIN with the SAPD Homicide Office. Det. HOLGUIN informed Your Affiant that on 07/04/97, a phone call was made to the SAPD Homicide Unit reporting human remains were in the back yard of 4454 Forestgreen. Det. HOLGUIN drove to 4454 Forestgreen and contacted LEONARD RIZZO Jr. who informed Det. HOLGUIN that he had the authority to oversee 4454 Forestgreen in the absence of his father LEONARD RIZZO Sr. LEONARD RIZZO Jr. signed a consent to search the premises at 4454 Forestgreen and during the ensuing search, human bones, hair, and body fluids were located. Also during a search of the residence, a hole in the sheetrock wall with blood on the hole was located in living room of the residence near the garage door.

Det. H. ESCOBAR has obtained a sworn statement from a witness in this case identified as ROBERT HAKALA. HAKALA is friends with both MONIKA and LEONARD RIZZO Sr. and has known them for some time. HAKALA stated sometime around the end of May or beginning of June he went to 4454 Forestgreen and spoke to both MONIKA and LEONARD RIZZO Sr. About three days after speaking to MONIKA and LEONARD Sr., HAKALA returned to the residence and smelled a strong odor that he associated with a dead animal. HAKALA then observed a small dog in the yard of 4454 Forestgreen playing with what appeared to be a human jawbone. When he exainined the bone, he saw the front lower teeth on the jawbone overlapped and stated he "knew that Lenny had killed Monika because I remember seeing Monika's front lower teeth and they were over lapping just like the teeth on the jaw bone." HAKALA left the location but returned the following day and while walking around the yard, "saw what appeared to be a body under a blanket...with tires on top of it."

On July 4, 1997, Det. J. HOLGUIN conducted an interview with LEONARD RIZZO Sr. This interview was conducted after LEONARD placed a call to the police department and agreed to voluntarily come to the police station to be interviewed. During this interview, after being told by Det. Holguin that the circumstances known to Det. HOLGUlN at that time surrounding the possible death of MONIKA RIZZO, did not appear to constitute CAPITAL MURDER, LEONARD RIZZO SR. made the oral statement, "maybe I ought to go kill somebody else."

On July 7, 1997, Your Affiant obtained a search varrant issued by the 226th District Court, writ number 97-W-025S2. for 4454 Forestgreen which was executed July 7, 1997.

Your Affiant has read the Crime Scene Search report of Det. R. GARCIA, badge number 2207, dated 07/07/97 under SAPD case number 97/335413. Det. GARCIA assisted in executing the search warrant for 4454 Forestgreen on 07/07/97. In his report, Det. GARCIA indicates he collected what appeared to be blood samples from several areas of the residence. It is believed that these samples belong to MONIKA and/or ZEONARD RIZZO Sr.

An examination of the premises of 4454 Forestgreen indicates a violent struggle occurred inside the residence of 4454 Forestgreen causing a bleeding injury to MONIKA and/or LEONARD RIZZO Sr. Your Affiant believes the identification of the source of the blood samples obtained during a search of 4454 Forestgreen is crucial to the establishment of the criminal offense of murder and that said blood samples constitute evidence of the criminal offense of murder.

Further, the evidence sought in this affidavit and warrant, is necessary in the identification of the human remains located at 4454 Forestgreen. PSA JIM CARUSO has spoken to Microbiologist Judy Floyd with GeneScreen Labs Inc, Dallas, Texas, who has informed CARUSO that a Reverse Paternal DNA test, involving the analysis of blood samples from the recovered remains, LEONARD RIZZO Sr. and theoffspring of MONIKA and LEONARD RIZZO Sr., specifically LEONARD RIZZO Jr., will produce result as accurate as 99% in identifying the human remains as MONIKA RIZZO.

4. YOUR AFFIANT HAS REASON TO BELIEVE, AND DOES BELIEVE. THAT THE CRIMINAL OFFENSE OF MURDER, IN VIOLATION OF SECTION 19.02 OF THE TEXAS PENAL CODE OCCURED BETWEEN THE DATES OF MAY 5, 1997 AND 4, 1997 IN SAN ANTONIO, BEXAR COUNTY, TEXAS, AND THAT

TWO PURPLE TOPPED VIALS OF BLOOD

TAKEN FROM LEONARD RIZZO Jr. AND COMPARED TO THE EVIDENCE COLLECTED FROM THE HUMAN REMAINS RECOVERED 4454 FORESTGREEN WILL CONSTITUTE EVIDENCE THAT THE OFFENSE OF MURDER WAS COMMITTED AND WILL POSITIVELY IDENTIFY THE REMAINS RECOVERED AT 4454 FORESTGREEN AS THOSE OF MONIKA RIZZO.

5. YOUR AFFIANT FURTHER BELIEVES THAT THE SPECIFIC OFFENSE OF MURDER HAS BEEN COMMITTED AND THAT THE ITEMS DESCRIBED ABOVE, CONSTITUTING EVIDENCE TO BE SEARCEED FOR AND SEIZED, IS LOCATED ON OR IN THE BODY OF THE DESCRIBED DEFENDANT, LEONARD RIZZO Jr.

WHEREFORE, Your Affiant asks for an issuance of a Warrant that will authorize the seizure of the said person in a search of the said defendant by medically qualified personnel, and the seizure of the above described evidence.

Respectfully Submitted,
DETECTIVE THOMAS MATJEKA
SAN ANTONIO POLICE DEPARTMENT
AFFIANT

SWORN TO, and subscribed before me in person this 15th day of July, 1997, at3:44 p.m.

144th DISTRICT COURT JUDGE
BEXAR COUNTY, TEXAS.

TracyLynnS
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Anyone know if Leonard Rizzo was legitimately employed when Monika "went missing", or was he living off her income?

IIRC, wasn't the "skull" and "jawbone" found in the yard shown to belong to animals? All the way around, on just about every aspect of the case, this whole thing is weird.

jrodriguez0731
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Please check out William McKinney's new novel "The Raw Truth!" now available for purchase through Amazon and Lulu in Hardcover and E-book. This is a true crime story of the circumstances surrounding the murder of Monika Rizzo written by the only person that would know the truth - her father.

See author's website at M&M Multimedia, Inc.
Signed Jolene Rodriguez, Author's online Representative

TracyLynnS
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I read a lot of the book preview on amazon. It looks very good, with lots of detail and background information.

william-mckinney
10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Weird story
Leonard Rizzo says when asked about the bones in his backyard: "After all," he maintained, " I am not a stupid man, so wy would I put them in my own backyard? I don't know how they got there! Furthermore, I have no idea where my wife is." (Extracted from my book, "THE RAW TRUTH!", page 196.
Bill McKinney, Author & Father of Monika Rizzo

william-mckinney
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Lenny Rizzo lost his job, he says he was downsized, on or about October 1996. He was unemployed from 1996 until the bones were discovered. He hadn't worked then for the past ten months, had no bank account, electricity was shut off, in arrears on his house payments for a year. And he said thse were the best years of his life and they, Lenny & Monika, were retiring!!!!!
Bill McKinney, Author of the Raw Truth and Father of Monika.

Hambone2421
10-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Lenny Rizzo lost his job, he says he was downsized, on or about October 1996. He was unemployed from 1996 until the bones were discovered. He hadn't worked then for the past ten months, had no bank account, electricity was shut off, in arrears on his house payments for a year. And he said thse were the best years of his life and they, Lenny & Monika, were retiring!!!!!
Bill McKinney, Author of the Raw Truth and Father of Monika.

Wow, that's pretty damming. Thank you for sharing your insight into this case and my condolences are with you and your family for the loss of Monika.

Do you happen to know where Leonard is now? Is he married? Has he been arrested since the last domestic abuse charge?

aura
06-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Wow, what a peice of work. Sorry for your loss Bill.

mikewho
06-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I always suspected the husband if its the case im thinking of.