Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-04-2004, 02:37 AM   #1
Brad
Forum Veteran
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.

Default Stupid Questions with Scott Baio

Stupid Questions with Scott Baio

Entertainment Weekly

Do you care that a small romantic film named A Wedding for Bella is going to be released on DVD Feb. 3? You do now, because it stars Scott Baio! To mark the occasion, we asked the 42-year-old actor--who excelled as a tough kid named Chachi (Happy Days) and an unconventional nanny (Charles in Charge)--to take a stupid trip with us down memory lane. --Dan Snierson

In Bella, you play a corporate ax-man. If you could fire yourself from any of your previous jobs, which would it be?
Where do I start? I would fire myself from Joanie Loves Chachi. I would fire myself from a piece-of-s**t movie called Skatetown, U.S.A. I would have fired myself--well, I did fire myself from Diagnosis Murder; I quit. I might have fired myself from Baby Talk, but I don't know. Eh, that's about it.

You were on Happy Days for seven years. But not all the days were happy, were they, Scott?
Unfortunately, they were. It was party time every day.

Did you ever try on Fonzie's jacket?
That was taboo, man! That thing was in a vault on the set. There were guards around it. There was a ceremony when they opened it. But there were different ones. I hate to dispel the myth.

Really? How many were there?
There was one that he would wear if he was on the motorcycle. There was one that he were on the set. And it changed. First there was that Jimmy Dean red jacket. Then it became another leather jacket, which is more realistic. Then there was the third jacket, which was, in my opinion, a little wimpy. It had elastic armbands and it wasn't black, it was brown--and that was sad.

You've dated Hollywood hotties including Pamela Anderson, Nicolette Sheridan, and Heather Locklear. Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Yeah. I hear that a lot.

Seriously. How'd you do it?
I was on TV and I was cute. That goes a long way.

When Fran Drescher came out with The Nanny, were you like, "Yo, step off my Charles in Charge gig, bee-yotch"?
It's the same show, isn't it? I never thought about that. Holy s**t. I'm gonna sue her ass.

You released an album in 1982 with the single "What Was in That Kiss?" Better yet, there was the song "Woman, I Love Only You." Who talks like that?
Look, let's start from the beginning. First, you have to know how to sing. I didn't. You couple it with "Woman, I Love Only You" and it's pretty bad. It was a no-win situation. What was in that kiss? Money.

Did you hear that Paris Hilton is recording a CD?
I should call her.

For a duet?
No, to tell her "Stop. You have enough money. Don't sing 'Woman, I Love Only You.'" See? I used it in a sentence.

I read on the Internet that you died in a car accident in 1997. True?
Yes. You're talking to a ghost. Why do you think I haven't worked since then?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
animalcrackers

Good answers, Scott! At least he can poke fun of his self. I hated that brown leather jacket too that Fonzie wore.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
The Modfather
Forum Veteran
It Sure Does

I wonder if he actually is going to sue "The Nanny"?

But they were great answers!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Stormtracker TF
Forum Idol

Old 02-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

Cool answers
Old 02-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
Pat

Default Thanks AKA

Thanks for posting. I think Scott was a weak actor the first couple of seasons that he was on Happy Days, but later, he was became so good, he was helping to carry the show. I think he was great in Joanie Loves Chachi - if you don't owe any of these on tape, it is a great way to sit back and see a little part of Happy Days that is forgotten. Loved the JLCh ep where Chachi falls alseep on Joanie's couch with her and Howard calls in the middle of the night. Chach answers and before you know it, Howard and Marion are in Chicago to find out what is going on.
Sorry if I got a little off topic.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
[-Kelsey-]
Forum Veteran
Quasimodo Delight

Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
kiddynOmite
Occasional Poster

Default Baio inaccuracies

RE: Scott Baio's reply on Fonzie's jacket...

"There was one that he would wear if he was on the motorcycle. There was one that he were on the set. And it changed. First there was that Jimmy Dean red jacket. Then it became another leather jacket, which is more realistic. Then there was the third jacket, which was, in my opinion, a little wimpy. It had elastic armbands and it wasn't black, it was brown--and that was sad."

There are a couple of factual errors in Baio's reply. He may want to try watching the show...

First, I'm sure there were duplicate leather jackets per season (wardrobe depts. always have duplicate clothes to account for damage and wear throughout the season). Second, yes, the leather jackets did change slightly throughout the series: pointed collar tips and shoulder epaulets during the first season, and more rounded collar tips and no epaulets during the later seasons.

However, although Fonzie did wear a windbreaker occasionally for the first couple of seasons (no studio audience/"Rock Around the Clock" intro) but the jacket was beige; not red. Ralph Malph wore a red windbreaker type jacket with "GEMS" written on the back.

The Fonzie character was only allowed to wear the leather jacket sparingly during the first season -- usually when he was on a motorcycle -- because conservative ABC execs didn't want a "hoodlum" on a wholesome primetime family show. It was after the character and series caught on that the leather jacket became a trademark and worn exclusively by the Fonzie character.

Also, Scott Baio was not on the show in the early season to be able to qualify what kind of jackets Fonzie wore in the earlier seasons. I believe the Chachi character came into the series around season 5 or 6. Fonzie's "nephew/cousin" Spike (Danny Butch) preceeded Scott Baio's Chachi character during the earlier seasons.

Finally, if you turn up the color on your TV, you'll notice that Fonzie's jacket was always brown; not black as often believed. A dark "seal brown" to be exact, and it always had elasticized cuffs -- not just the "third" jacket Baio refers to.

Finally, Fonzie's jacket was not "wimpy" because it was a stylized variation of the WW2 US Air Force A-2 flight jacket! Wimpy? I don't think so...

Scott Baio needs to get his facts straight or at least stick to the seasons where he was there!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
88survivor

11 Seasons is a long time...anybody, including actors could lose track of the series itself.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
kiddynOmite
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88survivor
11 Seasons is a long time...anybody, including actors could lose track of the series itself.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not out to discredit or demean Scott Baio who played a major part in American television history.

It's just that his replies are incorrect and it doesn't have anything to do with a fading memory. He just wasn't there when the Fonzie character donned a beige windbreaker but his reply sounds like he is implying he was on the series from the beginning.

He was still on the cusp of co-starring with Jodie Foster in the unusual but entertaining movie, "Bugsy Malone", singing, We could'a been anything that we wanted to be!...
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
88survivor

I love that. Bugsy Malone rules...

BTW, how old is this Entertainment Weekly?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
thebabymysweet
Frequent Poster

SCOTT BAIO earned three (3) Best Lead Actor prizes for
THE BREAD, MY SWEET ( a.k.a. A WEDDING FOR BELLA ) in
the Atlantic City Film Festival,
the Kansas City Halfway To Hollywood Film Festival,
and
the San Diego Film Festival.

Baio fans should know these facts.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
thebabymysweet
Frequent Poster

SCOTT BAIO'S GLOWING REVIEWS FOR "THE BREAD, MY SWEET"
(a.k.a. "A WEDDING FOR BELLA")

"Scott Baio is fantastic in one of his first major film roles."
(THE POPKORN JUNKIES)

"Baio's At His Best In 'Bread'. Scott Baio simply shines as Dominic."
(Michael 0'Sullivan, THE WASHINGTON POST)

"Scott Baio gives a surprisingly deep and convincing performance."
(Eric Mender, FILM JOURNAL)

"Scott Baio still looks younger than his years,
but he's outgrown Chachi and has a warm, mature screen presence."
(Jim Lane, SACRAMENTO NEWS AND REVIEWS)

"Former sitcom veteran Scott Baio is terrific in this role.
He shifts effortlessly between manipulative and sincere,
especially when pitching his idea for the marriage to Lucca."
(John Niccum, LAWRENCE.COM)

"Scott Baio, who plays a part-time baker and full-time corporate big wig, is quite good.
He exudes a naturalism, a compelling conviction that gives depth and meaning to the lines he delivers."
(Bob Longino, THE ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
thebabymysweet
Frequent Poster

MORE OF SCOTT BAIO'S GLOWING REVIEWS FOR "THE BREAD, MY SWEET"
(a.k.a. "A WEDDING FOR BELLA")

"And in an image-changing turn, former kid star Scott Baio
delivers a terrific assured performance."
(Robert Horton, AMAZON.COM EDITORIAL REVIEW)

"Perhaps the biggest surprise, to those who know only his string of sitcoms, will be Scott Baio.
He delivers a mature, grounded performance and is wholly believable as
a man groping with trying to figure out how he screwed up what's most important in life."
(Bill O' Driscoll, THE PITTSBURGH CITY PAPER)

"Park the 'Charles-In-Charge' wisecracks at the door because
Scott Baio is the best thing going for 'The Bread, My Sweet'.
Director Melissa Martin gets a solid performance out of Baio."
(John Monaghan, THE DETROIT FREE PRESS)

"I cannot stress enough what a great performance Scott Baio gives.
He was perfect for the role. And no big name actor could have done it any better.
His charisma is vital to making Lucca and Dominic's relationship develop in a realistic and moving way."
(Wes Bennett, DR. MOVIE MOVIE)

"The story centers on Dominic, played with a nice blend of confidence and vulnerability by Scott Baio,
a young executive who is making a bundle in the mergers and acquisitions business."
(Margaret A. McGurk, THE CINCINATTI INQUIRER)

"Scott Baio, whose role as television's Chachi has forever doomed him to trivia-game-answer status,
delivers a highly effective and restrained performance as Dominic Pyzola, a young Italian-American
who divides his working time between serving as a ruthless acquisitions executive for a big corporation
and baking biscotti in the family bakery that he also manages."
(Frank Scheck, PANORAMA ENTERTAINMENT, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
thebabymysweet
Frequent Poster

MORE OF SCOTT BAIO'S GLOWING REVIEWS FOR "THE BREAD, MY SWEET"
(A.K.A. "A WEDDING FOR BELLA")

"In the lead role, Scott Baio is a revelation.
The veteran star of 'Happy Days' and 'Charles-In-Charge'
has grown into a fine actor, anchoring 'The Bread, My Sweet'
with a terrific performance."
(Ed Johnson-Ott, NUVO.NET)

"Scott Baio, still best known for his fresh-faced adolescent stint on 'Happy Days',
gives an impressively soulful, genuinely romantic and, for lack of a better word,
masculine performance - one that should persuade the industry to take another look at him."
(James Verniere, THE BOSTON HERALD)

"All the acting is good, especially Scott Baio
who looks and plays to perfection
the role of a type-A businessman with a secret heart."
(CHICAGO METROMIX)

"Realistic dialogue and convincing performances especially by
Rosemary Prinz and Scott Baio, give 'The Bread, My Sweet' its very soul.
The film is at its most powerful in tight quarters when for example
Baio's Dominic asks Massimo for Lucca's hand in marriage.
Baio looks away, nervous but almost expressionless, during the conversation
which is stripped of any affectation or Hollywood dressing up."
(Jonathan Curiel, THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE)

"Scott Baio, best known as Chachi from TV's 'Happy Days', is wonderful as Dominic,
the bakery owner who's stretched dangerously thin with a corporate day job.
Overall, 'The Bread, My Sweet' rises to the occasion and warms the heart while whetting the appetite.
Moreover, it reminds us that Baio, who was terrific in 'Bugsy Malone' and 'Foxes'
before being helplessly typecast by 'Happy Days', truly belongs on the big screen.
In his scenes with romantic love interest Kristin Minter and especially Rosemary Prinz's immigrant mother,
he exhibits a rugged charm that so far has eluded the likes of Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck."
(Glenn Lovell, THE SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS)

"The real surprise here, of course, is Scott Baio.
Forget (if you can) his sitcom past and enjoy a deep rich performance here.
Baio perfectly captures the anguish and anxieties of a man being pulled in multiple directions and by different expectations.
Whether living the role of a Fortune 500 executive or speaking with serene understanding among his problematic brothers,
Baio invests the role with an emotional versatility that has never been seen in any of his previous performances.
In small moments when his parallel worlds overlap, such as the boardroom meeting where
he places a handful of macadamia nuts on a table and comments on their effectiveness in baking,
Scott Baio comes alive with a subtle depth that clearly states what a truly fine actor he is."
(Phil Hall, FILM THREAT)

Last edited by thebabymysweet : 12-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.